The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Ilya Lyubushkin to Ducks for 2025 4th-round pick

37 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There is no way in this trade climate that they will be able to move him without taking back cap.

And what's wrong with that? I'd happily move Myers + for the subject of this thread for example.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And what's wrong with that? I'd happily move Myers + for the subject of this thread for example.

Haha nothing at all if there are any suckers out there willing to take him. I'm barely clinging to that dream of dumping both Myers and Garland in trades at this point. I'm curious to see if we get another wave of movement before camp opens or not. That would be just swell. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha nothing at all if there are any suckers out there willing to take him. I'm barely clinging to that dream of dumping both Myers and Garland in trades at this point. I'm curious to see if we get another wave of movement before camp opens or not. That would be just swell. 

We’ll probably see some preseason cap dump trades for teams to get compliant. Not sure that will open up anything for us though…

Maybe some longer term preseason injuries create some demand for our players

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

We’ll probably see some preseason cap dump trades for teams to get compliant. Not sure that will open up anything for us though…

Maybe some longer term preseason injuries create some demand for our players

Yeah usually there are injuries or even players teams thought were solid but underwhelm in training camp. Really guys like Garland, and Beauvillier are decent players and I could definitely see a couple teams wanting to add them to their roster. The biggest problem with Garland is he has 3 more years at $5 on the cap but $17 mil in actual cash. That kind of scares the bottom teams away a bit too when he's taking home $6 mil a season for the next two years.

Myers + Rathbone + 3rd for Lyubushkin and the a 4th? They get a RD they can still possibly flip at the TDL/shelter kids, a young D that can probably play in the NHL now and upgrade their pick, all while saving actual $.

We get a younger, physical, depth RD player that arguably fits our team needs better and clear $3.25m.

Yeah usually there are injuries or even players teams thought were solid but underwhelm in training camp. Really guys like Garland, and Beauvillier are decent players and I could definitely see a couple teams wanting to add them to their roster. The biggest problem with Garland is he has 3 more years at $5 on the cap but $17 mil in actual cash. That kind of scares the bottom teams away a bit too when he's taking home $6 mil a season for the next two years.

That’s a good point. This was discussed on SN, but haven’t seen it mentioned a lot here. He’s played well for Tocchet before…would love for him to have a strong start. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Myers + Rathbone + 3rd for Lyubushkin and the a 4th? They get a RD they can still possibly flip at the TDL/shelter kids, a young D that can probably play in the NHL now and upgrade their pick, all while saving actual $.

We get a younger, physical, depth RD player that arguably fits our team needs better and clear $3.25m.

With Hagg listed as their 2LD, and a physical 2RD like Gudas, Rathbone could actually make sense on their roster as a potential PP2QB behind Drysdale.

Unfortunately they can just take him off waivers for free in October.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

For starters, I can't even pronounce Lyubushkin.  ::D  Secondly, I think he's overpaid as well.  I don't think that he'd move the needle and at 29, he's not exactly young.  The Canucks would be better off with $6 full million off the cap so why not be patient? 

Regardless of individual opinions, I think that they stand pat with everybody's favorite giraffe. 

I'd prefer if they were able to re-sign Bear tbh 

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

For starters, I can't even pronounce Lyubushkin.  ::D  Secondly, I think he's overpaid as well.  I don't think that he'd move the needle and at 29, he's not exactly young.  The Canucks would be better off with $6 full million off the cap so why not be patient? 

Regardless of individual opinions, I think that they stand pat with everybody's favorite giraffe. 

I'd prefer if they were able to re-sign Bear tbh 

Lyubushkin is also expiring this year. 

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ya but 39 points in 5 seasons and -22.  I think it's comical how people lament this "opportunity"  To quote Gordon Gecko, he's a dog with fleas.

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya but 39 points in 5 seasons and -22.  I think it's comical how people lament this "opportunity"  To quote Gordon Gecko, he's a dog with fleas.

He's a depth defensive D, who's largely played on poor teams. As far as physical, depth, defensive D go, he's actually pretty solid.