The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023-24 schedule ranking

Rate this topic

Crimson-JH

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I would wonder what this is based on. Travel schedule is easy to calculate, but strength of opponents is somewhat speculative at this point.

Ya, I'm definitely trying to figure that out. I have tough time believing LA has a harder travel schedule than us for example (or at the very least it's close), but then as teams in the same division it doesn't make sense for their strength of opponents to be much different. And yet we are at 9th easiest and they are at 28th. Or the same with Edmonton who are 29th. 

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Ya, I'm definitely trying to figure that out. I have tough time believing LA has a harder travel schedule than us for example (or at the very least it's close), but then as teams in the same division it doesn't make sense for their strength of opponents to be much different. And yet we are at 9th easiest and they are at 28th. Or the same with Edmonton who are 29th. 

I wonder if that includes back to back nights, odd travels, and early games?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would wonder what this is based on. 

One would have to assume this ranking is largely speculative as you say at this stage, and based largely on points percentages from previous year mixed with other data such as: travel miles, back-to-back games, facing opponents coming in fresh or off a game the night before,  ect.  Since there's no 'real' numbers yet this season it's gotta be based on a lot of last year's information. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If they've ranked us that high, I'm just going assume we're playing less Eastern Conference teams.  We always get obliterated by the East these days.

Every team plays one home game and one away game against the other conference.   At least that's how it's been for quite awhile.   Where it gets odd playing against your own division.   Last year we had ANA 4 times, Vegas, EDM and ARI 3 times for example.   Guess it has to do how evenly spread out it is, back to backs etc.    Also bad teams tend to get an easier go anyways, good-great teams use their back-ups more often.   It's also somewhat subjective.   Every year some teams expected to do well flounder, and others expected not too, do better than anticipated.   For sure not an exact science. 

Edit: Just checked.  Yes the only variable is in your own division.  Either 3 or 4 times for a total of 26 times.   Then 3 times per the other division in your own conference for a total of 24 games.   Then two games against the other conference, one away one at home.  That's a small variable.    That said maybe we get ARI and ANA four times each which would matter. 

Canucks appear to be a team with the most travel, but usually aren't.   COL for example led the league one year not too long ago, go figure, and SJ has as well.  

And you're correct Boblaw, we were 10-20-2 last season.  Ugly.  

Edited by IBatch

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Every team plays one home game and one away game against the other conference.   At least that's how it's been for quite awhile.   Where it gets odd playing against your own division.   Last year we had ANA 4 times, Vegas, EDM and ARI 3 times for example.   Guess it has to do how evenly spread out it is, back to backs etc.    Also bad teams tend to get an easier go anyways, good-great teams use their back-ups more often.   It's also somewhat subjective.   Every year some teams expected to do well flounder, and others expected not too, do better than anticipated.   For sure not an exact science. 

Edit: Just checked.  Yes the only variable is in your own division.  Either 3 or 4 times for a total of 26 times.   Then 3 times per the other division in your own conference for a total of 24 games.   Then two games against the other conference, one away one at home.  That's a small variable.    That said maybe we get ARI and ANA four times each which would matter. 

Canucks appear to be a team with the most travel, but usually aren't.   COL for example led the league one year not too long ago, go figure, and SJ has as well.  

And you're correct Boblaw, we were 10-20-2 last season.  Ugly.  

My favourite thing last year was waking up early for weekend morning games, watching our starter get pulled in the first period, and me going back to bed.

• Haha 1