The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

So, are we on pace to see a knuckleball pitcher win the Cy Young for the first time in history? With his second straight 1-hitter yesterday, R.A. Dickey moved into first in the NL in wins (11), K's (103) ERA (tied with Beachy for 2.00) and WHIP (.89). He's also second in IP (1 inning behind Matt Cain) and first in CG with 3. If he can continue to baffle hitters as he has been, he could be a fairly obvious choice for the award. I'd say Cain and Strasburg, and even maybe Lance Lynn, are also in the conversation, and Beachy is having a great season but is now on the DL, but as it stands R.A. should be the frontrunner.

It's harder to say in the AL: CJ Wilson and Chris Sale are the two best ERA pitchers right now. However, it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Verlander ended up winning that again.

Hey Chisox fan, why can't Jake Peavy get any run support? Tonight was his second straight start (and third this season), where he gave up only 1 ER and took the loss (one run against today was unearned). From a fantasy perspective, his ERA and WHIP numbers have been a revelation, but he's not getting rewarded in the W column as much as I'd like.

Well I think it was a generally recognized fact that the Blue Jays' pitching wasn't going to be up to snuff this season. That they got off to a good start definitely raised peoples' hopes, and the injuries sure haven't helped, but this team was never going to contend with the rotation they started the season with. Drabek had dropped off considerably from his hot start before going on the DL, and Hutchison had some good starts but they were always interspersed with awful ones (in the mold of Brandon Morrow really). Henderson Alvarez has also fallen back to Earth, and Ricky Romero has certainly not been ace-like this season either. On the bright side, it's nice to see Brett Cecil get another shot. I'm always a little sad for Dustin McGowan. The guy was just on the cusp of being a legitimate major league starter and his career got completely shot to hell by injuries.

The Blue Jays hitting was a problem early in the season, and the pitching was a bright spot, but I always thought that was an aberration and I think we're now seeing the true nature of this team: plenty of bats, not enough arms (double synecdoche).

So, are we on pace to see a knuckleball pitcher win the Cy Young for the first time in history?

With his second straight 1-hitter yesterday, R.A. Dickey moved into first in the NL in wins (11), K's (103) ERA (tied with Beachy for 2.00) and WHIP (.89). He's also second in IP (1 inning behind Matt Cain) and first in CG with 3. If he

can continue to baffle hitters as he has been, he could be a fairly obvious choice for the award. I'd say Cain and Strasburg, and even maybe Lance Lynn, are also in the conversation, and

Beachy is having a great season but is now on the DL, but as it stands R.A. should be the frontrunner.

Hey Chisox fan, why can't Jake Peavy get any run support? Tonight was his second straight start (and third this season), where he gave up only 1 ER and took the loss (one run against today was unearned). From a fantasy perspective, his ERA and WHIP numbers have been a revelation, but he's not getting rewarded in the W column as much as I'd like.

Not his best start for sure, but once again today Jake Peavy was given zero run support on his way to another L. That makes 4 games in a row where the ChiSox have scored 1 or fewer runs in a Peavy start, dropping to 6-5 on the season despite a sub-3.00 ERA. Conversely, Chris Sale is 6-0 in 8 starts since his last loss, and has gotten nearly 6 runs of support on average over that time. It just don't make no sense why the team is so good in Sale starts, and so helpless in Peavy ones. Chisoxin12 might be right that the team's mentality is different depending on the pitcher, but this is getting ridiculous.

Not his best start for sure, but once again today Jake Peavy was given zero run support on his way to another L. That makes 4 games in a row where the ChiSox have scored 1 or fewer runs in a Peavy start, dropping to 6-5 on the season despite a sub-3.00 ERA. Conversely, Chris Sale is 6-0 in 8 starts since his last loss, and has gotten nearly 6 runs of support on average over that time. It just don't make no sense why the team is so good in Sale starts, and so helpless in Peavy ones. Chisoxin12 might be right that the team's mentality is different depending on the pitcher, but this is getting ridiculous.

Archived