The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

I can't listen to it... elaborate on the character issues if you don't mind? :)

Total sarcasm.

During the intervie he:

- states how the gophers have great skill, but have some sort of mental hurdle they can't get over right now.

- is not bitter after dropping at the NHL draft, thankful that he landed in Vancouver

- talks about the WJC team, complimenting returning players and offers his insight onto who he believes may be on his line.

- said he wanted to stay in school because he values having university education ("a year or too"), just incase hockey does not work out in the long run. Also states that he wanted to bulk up a bit more, he's now around 180ish pounds.

Pretty much it.

Total sarcasm.

During the intervie he:

- states how the gophers have great skill, but have some sort of mental hurdle they can't get over right now.

- is not bitter after dropping at the NHL draft, thankful that he landed in Vancouver

- talks about the WJC team, complimenting returning players and offers his insight onto who he believes may be on his line.

- said he wanted to stay in school because he values having university education ("a year or too"), just incase hockey does not work out in the long run. Also states that he wanted to bulk up a bit more, he's now around 180ish pounds.

Pretty much it.

Hopefully a year or two means.. last year and this year :).

Next year he'll be with the moose with the occasional call up :)

Total sarcasm.

During the intervie he:

Pretty much it.

Ohhhh ok. Yeah, I'd heard nothing but how good his character was so was a bit surprised by the post lol, but wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or not. Thanks for the clarification!

A holiday-season tradition will return to the NHL Network-U.S. for the third-straight season, as once again the network will broadcast all of Team USA's games at the 2010 World Junior Championship.

Gary Thorne, Dave Starman and Fred Pletsch will be the broadcast team for the tournament, which runs Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Saskatoon and Regina, Sask.

The network also will televise six other preliminary-round games, as well as all medal round games. For non-U.S. games, the network will utilize the TSN broadcast.

All 16 games will be aired in high-definition.

Thorne, who will handle play-by-play duties, boasts over 30 years of sports broadcasting experience. He served a 12-year stint (1992-2004) as the voice of ESPN's NHL telecasts and was also the lead hockey play-by-play voice of NBC's 2002 Olympic Winter Games. He currently serves as a play-by-play commentator for college football on ESPN and ABC, and for MLB on ESPN Radio.

Starman, who will serve as the color analyst, currently is the lead analyst for CBS College Sports' hockey coverage. He served as the analyst for the NHL Network's coverage of Team USA's games at the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championship, as well.

Pletsch, who will serve as the rinkside reporter, is a college hockey analyst on Fox Sports Detroit and has worked as a sideline reporter for ESPN and for NHL Network for the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championship. He is the associate commissioner of the CCHA.

The World Juniors is a launching pad for future NHL stars, and the 2010 event will be no different. Canada will compete for unprecedented sixth straight gold medal, and leading the way will be St. Louis Blues top prospect Alex Pietrangelo, Toronto Maple Leafs 2009 first-round pick Nazem Kadri, and the Edmonton Oilers' Jordan Eberle, a hero from last year's event. Also likely to make the team is top 2010 Entry Draft prospect Taylor Hall of the OHL's Windsor Spitfires.

Looking to derail Canada's efforts will be a Sweden team that has won back-to-back silver medals. Sweden will be led by goalie Jacob Markstrom, a Florida Panthers prospect considered to be the best NHL-affiliated player in Europe. Also on the team are seven other players from last year's team, including scoring sensation Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson.

The U.S. team will boast an up-tempo group that also should have a strong defense. Cam Fowler, the top-scoring defenseman in the OHL and a top prospect for the 2010 draft, will led a group that also should include Washington Capitals prospect John Carlson.

Up front, the U.S. will rely on Montreal Canadiens prospect Danny Kristo, and Jordan Schroeder, a 2009 Vancouver Canucks first-round pick who led the U.S. team last year with 11 points in six games.

The U.S. will play four games in the preliminary round, headlined by a New Year's Eve game against Canada. They open Dec. 26 against Slovakia, then play Switzerland on Dec. 27 and Latvia on Dec. 29. The U.S. finished fifth last year in Ottawa.

Source

Third times a charm

Wednesday, 09.12.2009 / 4:55 PM / News Features By Derek Jory

fb.jpg

Schroeder_rr.jpgJordan Schroeder is set to make another splash at the World Juniors.

The Vancouver Canucks picked Jordan Schroeder in the first round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft for a myriad of reasons.

Schroeder can score, Schroeder can pass, Schroeder can make plays.

It was on one of hockey’s biggest stages at the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship that this was reaffirmed to the Canucks as Schroeder has been a superior player for Team USA over the last two years.

Schroeder, a sophomore center with the Minnesota Gophers, was recently invited to the American junior selection camp and at age 19, he’s primed to become the first Gopher to play in three world junior championships.

Dave Gagner, director of player development for the Canucks, believes that Schroeder, who has 19 points in 12 career World Junior games but has yet to land on the podium, will be an integral part of Team USA’s bid to knock off Team Canada, the five-time defending champions.

“He creates scoring chances, every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone something good happens,” said Gagner. “He makes really good decisions with the puck. He doesn’t force things that aren’t there; he knows that if you make a simple play and get it back, it changes the defensive scheme. He doesn’t go for the home run pass, he understands how to be patient and create offence that way.”

With 15 assists at the World Junior tournament, Schroeder is already the U.S. squad’s all-time assists leader having surpassed former NHLer Dough Weight’s previous mark of 14 last year.

Canucks Extras Prospects_rr.jpgThis week on Canucks.com Prospects Central

In The System

Schroeder invited to USA camp

Schroeder will be one of three players suiting up for America from last year’s team, a list that includes Danny Kristo and Tyler Johnson. All three will be counted on for offence and leadership when the tournament takes place in Saskatchewan from December 26 to January 5.

The 22nd overall pick of the 2009 NHL Draft should have no problem contributing and either matching or exceeding his past numbers at the World Juniors, but this year he’s not heading in playing as well as he’d like.

In Schroeder’s rookie season with the Gophers, the 5-foot-8, 175-pound Minnesota product had 45 points (13-32-35) in 35 games. He was fourth in the NCAA averaging 1.3 points per game and was the only freshman to finish the season in the top 50 in scoring.

His second season with the rodents hasn’t been as productive thus far. Although Schroeder is second in team scoring with four goals and 10 points in 16 games, he feels he can do better. So does Gagner.

“To me, he has to continue to learn to play a gritty game and be strong on the puck, that will really benefit him when he starts his pro career. He’s my size and I had to learn that the hard way, I was up and down in the minors for four years until I figured out that I have to come every day and play nasty.

“Having said that, I’m pretty confident that he’ll be the leading scorer by the end of the season and he’ll again be strong at the juniors.”

The 29 players invited to the Team USA’s preliminary camp will gather from Dec. 17-19 in Grand Forks, N.D. An exhibition game later and cuts will be made prior to Christmas.

There won’t be any coal in Schroeder’s stocking, he’s a lock to make the team

U.S. Junior Squad Drops 3-2 Shootout Decision to Czech Republic in Final Exhibition

Ryan Bourque (Boxford, Mass.) notched a third-period game-tying goal, but a squad of U.S. National Junior Team candidates fell to the Czech Republic, 3-2, in a shootout here tonight at a sold-out Moose Jaw Civic Centre.

Ryan Bourque was named Team USA's Player of the Game

Jordan Schroeder had 1 assist.

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junior_championships_2010/default.aspx?NAV=AF_01&id=276788&DetailedNews=yes

I've noticed Jordan seems to float around quite a bit in the WJC games I've seen so far. He doesn't backcheck half as much as I expected (usually not at all) and often just waits near the opposing blueline hoping for a stretch pass. To be fair I noticed this more in the pre-tourny games than I have in the last couple games.

I pretty much always watch team Canada in the WJC, and they dominate so much its hard to focus on anything but their overwhelming offense, and their defense is so good backchecking by forwards is almost not needed. So I'll admit I don't actively watch for these things from such young players. Is this type of play fairly normal for a younger guy coming from college hockey? or is he being lazy? (he hasn't looked lazy along the boards or in front of the net so I'm not sure).

Other than that he seems to be looking pretty good out there.

I've noticed Jordan seems to float around quite a bit in the WJC games I've seen so far. He doesn't backcheck half as much as I expected (usually not at all) and often just waits near the opposing blueline hoping for a stretch pass. To be fair I noticed this more in the pre-tourny games than I have in the last couple games.

I pretty much always watch team Canada in the WJC, and they dominate so much its hard to focus on anything but their overwhelming offense, and their defense is so good backchecking by forwards is almost not needed. So I'll admit I don't actively watch for these things from such young players. Is this type of play fairly normal for a younger guy coming from college hockey? or is he being lazy? (he hasn't looked lazy along the boards or in front of the net so I'm not sure).

I think when you're that young, all you can think of is offense.

He looked better last year.

Having JVR and Colin Wilson on your line will do that. This year, its Bourque and Palmeiri, i think.

From what ive seen so far, hes an elite setup man with poor finshers on his line. Makes some incredible passes, just no one is putting them away.

I have to agree that he looks very lazy in the defensive end. He is also usually the 1st man out of the defensive zone looking for the long breakaway pass.

His line is not getting much ice time. Looks like the Stefan line, is number 1 line and Schroeder is on the 3rd line.

Archived