The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Pool Question and Advice Thread (Your thread missing? Likely merged here)

b3.

13 people in my pool. Each pick 9 forwards with your top 6 counting, 6 defencemen with your top 4 counting, and 2 goalies with your top counting, plus one player of any position. I picked 8th. In no particular order, I got:

Forwards:

Ryan Getzlaf

Alex Semin

Mike Cammalleri

Brian Gionta

Johan Franzen

Alex Tanguay

Steve Sullivan

David Bolland

David Perron

Alex Burrows

Defence:

Scott Niedermayer

Brian Campbell

Lubomir Visnovsky

Bryan McCabe

Matt Gilroy

Ed Jovanovski

Goalies:

Henrik Lundqvist

Ray Emery

Agreed. I had to take Malkin with the number 3 pick, but I was really wanting both Heatley and Thornton because I think they are going to put up huge numbers this year. I didn't think there was anyway I was getting both of them. Glad I did though.

I Picked 13th of 14 teams, But I managed to get a fairly good team (as long as Shirokov and Hodgson pan out and make the team.)

My team is:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - St. Louis

Tanguay - Hodgson - Shirokov

Streit - R. Blake

Montador - Hedman

Luongo

Biron

Stajan

Schenn

J. Blake

Kessel

I got 3 rookies starting, hopefully they do well.

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, and if it doesn't, could the mods please move it to where it belongs.

I needed advice regarding a trade proposal in my Fantasy Pool. Pool Details: Yahoo Fantasy Head To Head...12 Teams.

My team is giving up: Marc Savard, Nicklas Backstrom (Washington Player), Daniel Sedin, Marek Zidlicky.

My team is getting: Alex Ovechkin, Mike Ribeiro, Marian Hossa, Kimmo Timonen.

This trade seems good for my team, but the thing is Hossa is injured until November and I'm getting mixed emotions because of that.

Could you comment on the trade and give me advice on the trade letting me know who's getting the better end of the trade taking everything into consideration.

If the mods want, they can delete this topic after 72 hours once I get a solid amount of advice.

Thanks ;) .

Just make you draft 2 good goalies in the first 5 rounds. I usually take 1 goalie in round 2-3 and another in round 4-5.

Depends how things are weighted. In my already-drafted pool (doing 3 this year), a goalie like Brodeur or Luongo would realistically top out at a level that a 5-6th round pick would, so I waited a while and got Steve Mason and Semyon Varlamov in the 5th/9th rounds.

Other tips, don't go much for defensemen until about the fourth round and try to get guys like Pronger, Bouwmeester, Chara, etc - guys that can be guaranteed to get you points. They may not get you as many points as a forward available at that spot, but get the defensemen anyway because they're going to be scarce pretty soon after that.

If penalty minutes are counted at all, a guy like Carcillo would be a very valuable later-round pick (8-9th round), or David Backes in the 3-4th round.

Andy - 3rd in a 10 team league.

1. (3) Evgeni Malkin

2. (18) Dany Heatley

3. (23) Joe Thornton

4. (38) Tim Thomas

5. (43) Zdeno Chara

6. (58) Steve Mason

7. (63) Bobby Ryan

8. (78) Marian Hossa

9. (83) Jay Bouwmeester

10. (98) Jonas Hiller

11. (103) Erik Johnson

12. (118) Paul Kariya

13. (123) Milan Lucic

14. (138) Mikko Koivu

15. (143) Victor Hedman

16. (158) Mikael Samuelsson

17. (163) Matt Duchene

Is the potential upside of Visnovsky better than what Niskanen would bring? I have Wideman, Gonchar, Erik Johnson, Suter, and Bogosian. Should I take the risk and go with Visnovsky or go with Niskanen, who'd be a safer pick at this point? Also, Vis beats Nis in +/- and PPP. There's no PIMs.

Visnovsky.

Niskanen's point totals are dropping since Zubov hasn't been able to take him under his wing. Look for his production to drop.

Don't trade Wheeler for Stafford..

^_^)-->

QUOTE (^_^ @ Sep 20 2009, 05:50 PM)
i wouldnt do it

sedin should rack up some decent points as will backstrom bcuz he plays with ovechkin, savard gets assits non stop and zidlicky should get more PP time on the wild roster

I agree. Walk away. Getting Ovechkin doesn't always mean it's a good move.

QUOTE ( ^_^ @ Sep 20 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i wouldnt do it

sedin should rack up some decent points as will backstrom bcuz he plays with ovechkin, savard gets assits non stop and zidlicky should get more PP time on the wild roster

I agree. Walk away. Getting Ovechkin doesn't always mean it's a good move.

ya just cuz ovechkin is in the deal doesnt mean its good

and riberio is kinda on/off and hossa is hurt and who knows where the hell timonen is

Thanks for your comments and advice. Prior to making this post my decision was to reject it for those reasons mentioned above, and after reading your posts, my decision was solidified.

I got my answer, now if mods wanna delete this they can.

Thanks again =).

Archived