998 replies to this topic

#691 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Also, what's with the severe lack of ringtone options? 3 tones?

28mmdg5.jpg

Thanks to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome signature

egpcw0.gif

#692 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

So I followed the ereader video Wet posted, downloaded the formula 1 app and the Canucks app using their methods. Does not work that well. Sure the apps installed to my z10, but the quality was sh*t. The Canucks app had errors in trying to load videos or team leaders or latest news. The formula 1 game was at times unresponsive to me touching the screen.

I don't know why BB didn't wait to get their sh*t together before launching the phone. What was the point of launching the phone with no apps?

I'll wait until the end of the month, but if they don't do something about this app problem I may have to leave BlackBerry after 7 years and trade in my z10 for the s3. Glad the place I got my phone from said they'd exchange my phone within 6 weeks if I wasn't happy with it.

Not all versions of the android apps work. You should get the apps from a site that tests them and provides the best version. There are a few of them out there that do this. I got my google maps sideloaded from one of them.
Moo

#693 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Not all versions of the android apps work. You should get the apps from a site that tests them and provides the best version. There are a few of them out there that do this. I got my google maps sideloaded from one of them.

would you mind linking me to where you got the google maps? That's actually one of the apps I carry my iPod touch around for. I don't know if Apple uses google maps but their map app is incredible.

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#694 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

would you mind linking me to where you got the google maps? That's actually one of the apps I carry my iPod touch around for. I don't know if Apple uses google maps but their map app is incredible.

It seems that is an opinion not widely shared.
http://www.guardian....e-maps-headache

Perhaps we should let Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO weigh in:

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

See story at:
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ok-apology.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#695 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

http://forums.crackb...-thread-766811/

Edit: As mentioned, not all Android apps work as of right now. When 10.1 is released, there will be an updated Android player, which will have the ability to run the latest apps.

Edited by Peevish, 10 February 2013 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

#696 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

It seems that is an opinion not widely shared.
http://www.guardian....e-maps-headache

Perhaps we should let Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO weigh in:

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

See story at:
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ok-apology.html

I don't have the latest maps app on my ipod touch. I have the one they used like on the iphone 3gs.

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#697 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Here's the link to google maps:

http://bb10bars.net/index.php/maps-7/

Check the site for other .bars.

Also, if you have the same maps as on the 3GS, you have the old google maps. It's pretty good. With iOS 6+, Apple's default maps is their own Apple Maps, which sucks. Luckily, you can get a new google maps via the app store which is awesome (better than the original).
Moo

#698 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

So after having the phone for a couple of days now and having had the chance to sleep on it, here are my 2 cents about the z10 and some changes I'd like to see.

1) The new update needs to change the contacts system. If someone you follow on Twitter isn't in your contacts, and you want to tweet @ them, when you put in "@" in your tweet box, it'll only allow you to choose from your contacts, otherwise you have to memorize the persons twitter handle. Same goes for facebook and private messaging. It's a joke. I just want my contacts to be peoples name with their phone number and email. I don't need my contacts list cluttered with peoples twitter handles.

2) Apps. Enough said. Though if what I'm hearing about BlackBerry making most if not all Android apps to be native apps on BlackBerry on the next update, that is freaking awesome.

3) love love love the blackberry hub.

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#699 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

So after having the phone for a couple of days now and having had the chance to sleep on it, here are my 2 cents about the z10 and some changes I'd like to see.

1) The new update needs to change the contacts system. If someone you follow on Twitter isn't in your contacts, and you want to tweet @ them, when you put in "@" in your tweet box, it'll only allow you to choose from your contacts, otherwise you have to memorize the persons twitter handle. Same goes for facebook and private messaging. It's a joke. I just want my contacts to be peoples name with their phone number and email. I don't need my contacts list cluttered with peoples twitter handles.

2) Apps. Enough said. Though if what I'm hearing about BlackBerry making most if not all Android apps to be native apps on BlackBerry on the next update, that is freaking awesome.

3) love love love the blackberry hub.

The first point is a very good one. I have disabled twitter from populating my contacts with people I follow but don't know. Not having them pop up when I type "@" is annoying.
Moo

#700 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

that is kind of sad.. i was having a tough time waiting for the Q10 to come out, but after hearing about all the minor complaints people have with the Z10 i'm excited for Blackberry to patch things up.. along with seeing if the promise of apps comes true

#701 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

that is kind of sad.. i was having a tough time waiting for the Q10 to come out, but after hearing about all the minor complaints people have with the Z10 i'm excited for Blackberry to patch things up.. along with seeing if the promise of apps comes true

Well, by then 10.1 should be out with a bunch load more native apps. Oovoo is supporting BB10 big, I wonder if that is why Skype decided to join.
Posted Image

#702 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

I've never had a smart phone. Will it last say 4 years with normal use/abuse. I'd buy it outright.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#703 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

i've had my blackberry 9700 for three and a half years.. i've dropped it hard well over 200 times.

lots of people i know haven't been as lucky though, mines been as reliable as anything.

if you're worried buy a quality protective case and it will stay in mint condition

#704 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

People use stock ringtones?
My normal ringtone is always the theme of Bubble Bobble or Final Fantasy 1, lol.
8-bit FTW!

#705 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,649 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

How you guys liking the Z10 so far?

I'm considering making a switch, my 4S has insane freezing issues.
Posted Image

#706 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I really like it so far. I disabled NFC and have had amazing battery life since.
Moo

#707 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

I really like it so far. I disabled NFC and have had amazing battery life since.

My samsung S620 with the protector that has another battery can last over a week if I turn it off at night. I have brought it on vacation and not even bothered with a charger.

That said I will probably go out and get a blackberry so I can actually have a real smartphone for the first time. Though I am thinking of waiting for the keyboard one.

What I really wish they did was make a smartphone like the S620 where one side is a regular phone and the other side was a touchscreen.

#708 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Do it.

But a note about the battery. I know this won't be practical for everyone, but I turn off data services when I am in places that have WIFI, and I've noticed I can get around 15-20 hours out of it depending on how long I have it turned off for.
Posted Image

#709 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,960 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Do it.

But a note about the battery. I know this won't be practical for everyone, but I turn off data services when I am in places that have WIFI, and I've noticed I can get around 15-20 hours out of it depending on how long I have it turned off for.

I have a friend with a Samsung Galaxy II who turns off her data until she needs it and still doesn't get through the day (dies around 3pm). I heard the Z10 battery isn't great, but is it as bad as my friend's situation?

Also, I heard there was going to be a better battery in the Q10. Shouldn't they have put that in the Z10 (with the bigger screen and all)?

Edited by GoaltenderInterference, 18 February 2013 - 11:44 PM.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#710 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Have had my Bold 9780 for almost 2 years and it seems like it's nearing the end of its life (or at least the battery is). I just want it to survive until April so I can get the Q10!
Posted Image

#711 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have a friend with a Samsung Galaxy II who turns off her data until she needs it and still doesn't get through the day (dies around 3pm). I heard the Z10 battery isn't great, but is it as bad as my friend's situation?

Also, I heard there was going to be a better battery in the Q10. Shouldn't they have put that in the Z10 (with the bigger screen and all)?

Definitely not, with data off, my battery lasts for a full days use, and then a few hours of the next day.

As far as the Q10 goes, they have had more times to work on it right? so the design of the phone could have been changed fairly late. Remember that the Z10 was supposed to be out around November 2012, but the software wasn't ready.

The Q10 should have insane battery life if they can get the new Paratek radio in there.
Posted Image

#712 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

anyone know a rough estimate for when the new OS update is released? keep hearing end of feb

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#713 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I unplug my phone from the charger every morning at 7:30am which is when I wake up, I don't get the "battey life below 10%" notification until at least 9pm at night. This is with data on all day, I watch videos (episodes of family guy) on my phone on the skytrain and am frequently looking at Twitter. And then I just plug it in when I get home at night since i'm gonna be home for the rest of the night anyways.

edit: so cut out the 2 or 3 episodes I watch and my battery would last a few hours longer

Edited by NucksPatsFan, 20 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#714 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

anyone know a rough estimate for when the new OS update is released? keep hearing end of feb

I haven't heard anything, but I'd expect one before the US launch (mid-late March). They'd need to load the new OS on those devices so end of Feb makes sense.
Moo

#715 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Sigh, got off work at 2pm and saw that the new OS update for bb10 was available. Got super excited, waited 40 minutes for it to download and install and reboot, quickly jumped to app world hoping to see new, awesome apps such as instagram, temple run, draw something..etc. But nope, still the same ol' garbage

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#716 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I feel like I just went on a blind date and the chick was fat :(

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#717 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sigh, got off work at 2pm and saw that the new OS update for bb10 was available. Got super excited, waited 40 minutes for it to download and install and reboot, quickly jumped to app world hoping to see new, awesome apps such as instagram, temple run, draw something..etc. But nope, still the same ol' garbage

Speaking an IT friend who handles Blackberry roll outs for his company, the update was never about new native apps.

The BlackBerry Z10 has now been official for around a month, meaning that many Z10 owners have likely only had their device for a few weeks now. It looks like those users will soon have some new software to go along with their new phone, as BlackBerry announced today that it's started to roll out an update to BlackBerry 10 devices. The new update has some pretty notable improvements packed in, including ones related to camera performance and battery life. Here are the major enhancements that BlackBerry says users will be getting:

• Improved third-party app performance

• Fixes for Gmail calendars, better call logs and conversation handling in the BlackBerry Hub and enhancements related to importing contacts

• Better low-light camera performance

• Improvements to the way that the BlackBerry 10 browser plays videos

• Several optimizations that will bring better battery life and a longer average usage per charge cycle

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/02/28/blackberry-10-update-rolling-out-to-the-z10-with-battery-life-and-camera-improvements/

Here is what Blackberry said:
http://blogs.blackbe...102&DATE=022813

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#718 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Speaking an IT friend who handles Blackberry roll outs for his company, the update was never about new native apps.

The BlackBerry Z10 has now been official for around a month, meaning that many Z10 owners have likely only had their device for a few weeks now. It looks like those users will soon have some new software to go along with their new phone, as BlackBerry announced today that it's started to roll out an update to BlackBerry 10 devices. The new update has some pretty notable improvements packed in, including ones related to camera performance and battery life. Here are the major enhancements that BlackBerry says users will be getting:

• Improved third-party app performance

• Fixes for Gmail calendars, better call logs and conversation handling in the BlackBerry Hub and enhancements related to importing contacts

• Better low-light camera performance

• Improvements to the way that the BlackBerry 10 browser plays videos

• Several optimizations that will bring better battery life and a longer average usage per charge cycle

http://www.phonedog....a-improvements/

Here is what Blackberry said:
http://blogs.blackbe...102&DATE=022813

But if this was the big update that they were talking about back in January to prepare the z10 for the US launch, won't not having native or at least android ported apps hurt their sales in the US? Why would US customers who know the app selection is crap on the z10 even with the new update buy it when they have dozens of other smart phones to choose from?

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#719 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

But if this was the big update that they were talking about back in January to prepare the z10 for the US launch, won't not having native or at least android ported apps hurt their sales in the US? Why would US customers who know the app selection is crap on the z10 even with the new update buy it when they have dozens of other smart phones to choose from?

It was not a big update - it was a bug fix.

#720 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,960 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

My brother upgraded to a Z10 today. I'm very impressed with the touchscreen keyboard as someone who cannot type on an iPhone or even a tablet, I could type very accurately with it.

Is it worth waiting for the Q10, or do I go with the Z10 (for the screen space)?

Edited by GoaltenderInterference, 02 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.