681 replies to this topic

#31 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

Seems like a pretty good signing. I can't believe he was never signed or drafted?!? He's big and has power forward potential. I guess Gillis is still searching for that elusive power forward we've never had.

He'll get some good time playing with Friesen in Niagara this year. Maybe they'll both be able to become offensive players. Failing that I could see both as checking forwards with scoring potential.

I wanna see what he can do with Hodgson.

We had the BEST power forward in the NHL, twice. (actually Neely didn't develop until his time in Boston lol.)

Some time with CoHo would be good for him.

#32 dr.naughtypants

dr.naughtypants

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

Seems like a good signing. I love the CDC enthusiasm about him and the potential power forward superstar MG grabbed from nowhere.Not to be a downer, but...Why wasn't he drafted? Decent points and good size.What's the problem, because there has to be one.

Does your mommy know you are using the computer?

#33 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:24 AM

Seems like a good signing. I love the CDC enthusiasm about him and the potential power forward superstar MG grabbed from nowhere.Not to be a downer, but...Why wasn't he drafted? Decent points and good size.What's the problem, because there has to be one.

List of players who were never drafted:

Niklas Backstrom (goalie)
Rene Bourque
Dan Boyle
Alex Burrows
Jeff Halpern
Jonas Hiller
John Madden
Zybanek Michalek
Antti Niemi
Dustin Penner
Brian Rafalski
Dwayne Roloson
Peter Stastny
Martin St.Louis

The list goes on, but you get the point. Sometimes players just fall completely off the radar because of size issues, attitude problems, slow development, or just not getting recognized because they're on poor teams.

Steven Anthony is a good example of a guy who at 16 was touted to be a future first round pick, and was even drafted number 1 by the Sea Dogs. But for whatever reason, his development took a turn in the wrong direction, and he just fell off of scout's radar. It took us trading for a 7th round pick to finally draft this guy.

I think it's just a matter of there being so much talent in the OHL, that sometimes guys get lost in the mix and just fade away. Basically if you're not on a good team, the chances of you being able to show your skills to scouts is not going to be as good.

There's also the chance that this guys got an attitude problem, and scouts just don't think he's mature enough to be an NHL player. However at 20 years old, I wouldn't expect him to be that mature. I would actually prefer if he had an attitude to be honest. Seems like we're missing some of that swagger in our prospect pool...

Edited by DeNiro, 13 December 2010 - 05:26 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#34 canucks4cup2008

canucks4cup2008

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Archibald-Hodgson-Schroeder

Just sayin

That would be sweet...just saying

#35 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,054 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

That would be sweet...just saying

I'd be REALLY surprised if that's NOT a line in the preseason.

#36 GinoOdjick29

GinoOdjick29

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

He just hammered that goalie, get this guy in the line up ASAP!

We'd better get out of town before we get arrested,"
said forward Gino Odjick.
"We just stole a game."

#37 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Nothing wrong with adding some attitude to the prospects pool. I really like this signing as it fills a void in the system and we finally have a power forward in the system.

I thought hitting a goalie who is playing the puck is considered a legal hit but never the less that is something you need for the playoffs to hype up your players and the fans.

He is a project though..

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#38 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

We had the BEST power forward in the NHL, twice. (actually Neely didn't develop until his time in Boston lol.)

Some time with CoHo would be good for him.

Yes, so we have never had that real power forward who contributed to us.

Except Bertuzzi ;)
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#39 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

From the St. Catherine's Standard:

IceDog warms up to new home

ST. CATHARINES — In the past 10 months, Darren Archibald has gone from the penthouse to the outhouse before finally arriving in the doghouse last week.

The 20-year-old Newmarket native was a member of last season's powerful Barrie Colts that fell short in their quest for a Memorial Cup.

He returned to the Colts this season to see the rebuilding team fall to dead last in the Ontario Hockey League standings before he was rescued by a trade to the Niagara IceDogs last week.

"It kind of caught me off-guard, but we were expecting something with (goalie Peter) Di Salvo getting traded the day before. It's a good experience to be in Niagara on a winning team, I'm having fun and the boys have been really welcoming to me," the 6-foot-3, 210-pound left winger said.Archibald admitted it felt a little strange to be suiting up as a visiting player in Barrie Saturday night after wearing the Colts uniform for 149 games.

"It was a little weird being out there, especially in warm-up, but I tried to refrain from going over to their bench for changes and everything. It was fun and definitely a new experience being on a new team."

Fans of the IceDogs should warm quickly to Archibald's style of play.

"I think I'm a big, strong power forward with offensive abilities and I'm going to do my best day in and day out to help the team win and add a physical presence."

Archibald, who has attended NHL camps with Columbus and Detroit, saw last week become even more memorable when he signed a three-year entry level contract Saturday afternoon with the Vancouver Canucks.

"It has been in the process for the last couple of weeks and they've been coming to see me play. I found out Thursday afternoon that they had offered me a contract and I was waiting for the paperwork to come in."

It put an exclamation point on a big week.

"It has been quite the experience the past few games, getting traded and signing the contract. It's been exciting and I'm going to try and go with it from here. Hoping I can finish strong here in my final season in the OHL and work my way up to the big club."

The contract came with an undisclosed signing bonus that Archibald has no plans for.

"The boys were hassling me a little bit asking what I'm going to buy with the signing bonus, but I'm not too sure yet. I'm going to talk it over with my mom a little bit and see how I can save some money."

Even though he doesn't own a vehicle, Archibald has no immediate plans to purchase a new car.

"It's tempting to go out and spend a few dollars on a new car, but I'll see how it goes."

Many times in the OHL, over-agers are playing to land a pro contract, but Archibald doesn't have that motivation.

"It would be easy to pack it in now with the contract already, but my goal is to win and I want us to take a run at a Memorial Cup.

"That's enough motivation right there. Last year we made that big run, but we fell short and it was disappointing. I definitely want to have a second opportunity to make a run for it."

He doesn't see a lot of parallels between last year's Memorial Cup hopefuls and this year's version of the IceDogs.

"We had an older, highly-skilled team last year. Some people said we had the team to do it last year, but we obviously fell short. I think we have a great team here as well with some good young guys. Everybody is on the same page, we're really solid and we all have one goal in mind."

In three games with the IceDogs, Archibald has an assist to push his season's total to 18 goals and 31 points in 27 games. He scored 25 and 26 goals in his two previous seasons with Barrie.

The IceDogs host Barrie Friday night at 7 p.m.

http://www.stcathari...aspx?e=2888231#

Note: for those interested, the link has a photo slideshow of Archibald pics

#40 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,054 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

his contract is $631,666 per year starting this season... which I find odd, unless the contract can be pushed back a year because he's playing in the CHL. I know it doesn't normally burn a year for 20 year olds, but since he's in the CHL it may be different. i'm fuzzy on this area. (that's what she said)

Edited by avelanch, 13 December 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#41 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

^^ Not to sure, Av.

It seems like if he's going to make it, he'd be likely yo be a 3rd liner or maybe 4th liner on a deep team. Considering the line suggestion of Arch/CoHo/Schro I started thinking about potential line combos in an NHL scenario. It's too bad one of him, Glass or Andersson doesn't play center as that could be a possibility as a 4th line and it'd also be interesting to see both he and B. Sweatt as wingers (one would have to play RW) with a center like Malhotra or Hodgson, or even someone coming up Like Schroeder or Froshaug if they're capable of making it in the pros as centers.

I started to see some good ideas but we have so many left wingers and not many exciting 3rd4th line center prospects that I don't know how it'd work out beyond the Moose.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#42 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:40 AM

^^ Not to sure, Av.

It seems like if he's going to make it, he'd be likely yo be a 3rd liner or maybe 4th liner on a deep team. Considering the line suggestion of Arch/CoHo/Schro I started thinking about potential line combos in an NHL scenario. It's too bad one of him, Glass or Andersson doesn't play center as that could be a possibility as a 4th line and it'd also be interesting to see both he and B. Sweatt as wingers (one would have to play RW) with a center like Malhotra or Hodgson, or even someone coming up Like Schroeder or Froshaug if they're capable of making it in the pros as centers.

I started to see some good ideas but we have so many left wingers and not many exciting 3rd4th line center prospects that I don't know how it'd work out beyond the Moose.

Bliznak? Archibald and Sweatt would be the edge, the physicality. Bliznak would be the responsible speedy center who can win face-offs.

Sweatt - Bliznak - Archibald.

Alex Friesen is another center with bottom 6 potential (and he's currently playing on the same team as Archibald).

Saying that, I think Sweatt will be a 2nd-3rd line forward once he cracks the NHL roster. He's a prototypical 3rd LWer, who can put up enough offense to play the in top-6 if needed. (2nd on the Moose in points right now).

#43 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

Pretty nice goal by Archibald at 2:37...

Nice tip in front of the net for the game winner at 4:07

Absolutely sick pass at 7:10! And again he scores parked in front of the net at 8:14.

Looks like he's got some fans...:lol:

Edited by DeNiro, 14 December 2010 - 04:42 AM.

Posted Image

#44 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Seems like a pretty good signing. I can't believe he was never signed or drafted?!? He's big and has power forward potential. I guess Gillis is still searching for that elusive power forward we've never had.

He'll get some good time playing with Friesen in Niagara this year. Maybe they'll both be able to become offensive players. Failing that I could see both as checking forwards with scoring potential.

I wanna see what he can do with Hodgson.

Yeah, hard to believe he wasn't drafted??? A point per game with size and not draft pick worthy? I don't get it.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#45 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

Bliznak? Archibald and Sweatt would be the edge, the physicality. Bliznak would be the responsible speedy center who can win face-offs.

Sweatt - Bliznak - Archibald.

Alex Friesen is another center with bottom 6 potential (and he's currently playing on the same team as Archibald).

Saying that, I think Sweatt will be a 2nd-3rd line forward once he cracks the NHL roster. He's a prototypical 3rd LWer, who can put up enough offense to play the in top-6 if needed. (2nd on the Moose in points right now).

You're right about Sweatt having 2nd/3rd line potential and I see solid 3rd line options for Archibald if he pans out, but I wonder if Bliznak would make it as a regular 3rd line center. He could do tho, making that line interesting, so I guess I shouldn't rule him out.

Someone like Froshaug isn't an automatic upgrade as a 3rd line center either, especially since I know very little about him apart from he's a solid two-way center (another Gradin scouting find), but I'd be interested to see Schroeder in that role too. I'm not sure if it'd be soon enough for us to have Malhotra still or if Hodgson will take over as a 3rd center or move to the wing at times on the second line, we'll have to see how that all works out.

I did think about Friesen as an option between them but wasn't sure he'd excel in that role being smaller. Schroeder is smaller too but plays with more strength. I guess with Archibald using his size, that'd create a lot of room for someone like Friesen anyways. Archibald certainly creates more options all around it sounds like.

Edited by elvis15, 15 December 2010 - 02:19 AM.

#46 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

You're right about Sweatt having 2nd/3rd line potential and I see solid 3rd line options for Archibald if he pans out, but I wonder if Bliznak would make it as a regular 3rd line center. He could do tho, making that line interesting, so I guess I shouldn't rule him out.

Someone like Froshaug isn't an automatic upgrade as a 3rd line center either, especially since I know very little about him apart from he's a solid two-way center (another Gradin scouting find), but I'd be interested to see Schroeder in that role too. I'm not sure if it'd be soon enough for us to have Malhotra still or if Hodgson will take over as a 3rd center or move to the wing at times on the second line, we'll have to see how that all works out.

I did think about Friesen as an option between them but wasn't sure he'd excel in that role being smaller. Schroeder is smaller too but plays with more strength. I guess with Archibald using his size, that'd create a lot of room for someone like Friesen anyways. Archibald certainly creates more options all around it sounds like.

On Froshaug: I doubt he ever makes it as a 3rd line center. He has some of the tools, but you have to remember that he is 22 and scores at the same pace in the Norweigan league as Blizzard does in the AHL. I am not saying point-production is the main focus of his game, but you have to produce a bit to play 3rd line center in the NHL. Froshaug's potential lies somewhere between 3rd line AHL center and 4th line NHL LWer.

Manny was asked when he was signed if he was comfortable on a line with a 'young' center. And since so far the plan has been to put Schroeder on the wing (at the AHL level), I'm thinking that center is Hodgson. Even though Cody has been set back by another injury, he should be into complete game shape by the 50-55 game mark in the AHL.

We could very well see him as the '13th' forward during the playoffs and playing in place of injuries, etc. As early as next season I could see a third line of Malhotra - Hodgson - Hansen.

A fourth line of Glass - Bliznak - Bolduc isn't out of the question next year either. Perhaps with Bolduc playing the 13th forward/utility player role and a veteran UFA filling in the RW position.

Edited by Thomas Gradin, 15 December 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#47 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:29 AM

On Froshaug: I doubt he ever makes it as a 3rd line center. He has some of the tools, but you have to remember that he is 22 and scores at the same pace in the Norweigan league as Blizzard does in the AHL. I am not saying point-production is the main focus of his game, but you have to produce a bit to play 3rd line center in the NHL. Froshaug's potential lies somewhere between 3rd line AHL center and 4th line NHL LWer.

Manny was asked when he was signed if he was comfortable on a line with a 'young' center. And since so far the plan has been to put Schroeder on the wing (at the AHL level), I'm thinking that center is Hodgson. Even though Cody has been set back by another injury, he should be into complete game shape by the 50-55 game mark in the AHL.

We could very well see him as the '13th' forward during the playoffs and playing in place of injuries, etc. As early as next season I could see a third line of Malhotra - Hodgson - Hansen.

A fourth line of Glass - Bliznak - Bolduc isn't out of the question next year either. Perhaps with Bolduc playing the 13th forward/utility player role and a veteran UFA filling in the RW position.

You know, I can't ever remember having this much difficulty deciding what lineups were best from our prospects as a first or second line, nevermind as a third or fourth, during the Burke/Nonis era.

:towel: Good job Gillis.

#48 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Canucks see Archibald's up-side

By JIM JAMIESON THU, DEC 16 2010 THE WHITE TOWEL

The Canucks believe they've found another diamond in the rough in Darren Archibald.

The big (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) winger was signed as a free agent by the Canucks earlier this week.

We'll see in September, when training camp rolls around.

Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner said the 20-year-old Newmarket, Ont., native was a late bloomer, physically, and that was a factor in his not being selected in the NHL Entry Draft. His skating also needs to improve.

"He grew so much in his first year of Midget that he kind of lost his whole skill set, he was so gangly he had to rebuild himself,” said Gagner.

The Canucks see him as a projected third-line winger, but of course there is lots of development to get there.

"He can check, he gets in the odd fight, too,” said Gagner. “He's a pretty complete guy. He's got a full complement of assets, but like all our young guys he's got a ways to go with experience.”

Archibald, an overage player, had 18-12-30 in 24 games with the OHL Barrie Colts, but was recently traded to the Niagara Ice Dogs, for whom he has one assist in three games.

Archibald signed a three-year, entry level deal that will pay, at the NHL level: $590,000-615,000-$690,000.

http://communities.c...-s-up-side.aspx

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#49 chickenman92

chickenman92

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

found this scouting report

I’m still pretty shocked that Archibald ended up going undrafted yet again this past summer. While he is certainly prone to going through stages of inconsistency, when he’s on his game, he’s a force. This season promises to be a very good one for the overager, as Archibald not only has the physical tools to control the play with his body, he also is getting top line minutes at even strength and on the special teams. He’s a very tough player to contain when he wants to be and he has a great touch in and around the net so expect him to be among the OHL leaders in goals this season. I think you’ll see him get signed next summer and he should be starting out in the AHL come 2011/12.

sounds a bit like Buffy to me. If a coach can get him to show up every night he could be solid pick up.

TAKE JAKE! ... we gotta get T-Shirts made up. 

That is all

TEESHIRT

#50 Señor Hoff

Señor Hoff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

he does sound like Big Buff a bit....late bloomer and all....look at Buff now...he is playing the best hockey of his career at 25
At first I was like...
Posted Image

...But then I was like
Posted Image

#51 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

he does sound like Big Buff a bit....late bloomer and all....look at Buff now...he is playing the best hockey of his career at 25

The difference is Byfuglien is bigger and can move for a big man. Plus he can play forward if necessary but he has proven he is better on d at his natural position.

HE IS ON PACE FOR 81 POINTS AS A D-MAN!!! :frantic:

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#52 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

<br />he does sound like Big Buff a bit....late bloomer and all....look at Buff now...he is playing the best hockey of his career at 25<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Buff was a very late pick as well. Almost not drafted at all, 8th round 245 overall.

#53 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

A goal and an assist for the Archibaldian one tonight.

3 points in his first four games as an Ice Dog, not bad.

Posted Image

#54 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

A goal and an assist for the Archibaldian one tonight.

3 points in his first four games as an Ice Dog, not bad.

Plus a shootout goal!

Not a bad transition at all.

#55 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

Another 2 goals for Archibald tonight!

Looks like he's fitting in pretty good on his new team. Back up to a point a game pace.

Posted Image

#56 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,054 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

Another 2 goals for Archibald tonight!

Looks like he's fitting in pretty good on his new team. Back up to a point a game pace.

took a couple games to adjust, but 2 pts per game in his last 2 contests. not too shabby.

#57 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Does anyone know if he plays with Friesen at all?

#58 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

<br />Does anyone know if he plays with Friesen at all?<br />

No, I'm pretty sure that Friesen plays on the top line with Agozzino and Pacan, and Archibald is playing on the second line.

They may play together on the powerplay, but I'm not sure.

Posted Image

#59 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

based on the scoresheet, it looks like Archibald is on the 2nd PP unit too, so he doesn't play with Friesen.

#60 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

Thank you both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.