The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Well while Vancouver may be losing players left and right, Toronto just got that much stronger.

They have now got Defoe and Bradley, along with De Rosario coming back.

Why can't the Whitecaps bring in a guy like Defoe, Keane, Beckham, or Henry?

I understand that it would cost a huge chunk of money, but I'm pretty sure having a former European star player will increase attendance and jersey sales.

Why can't the Whitecaps bring in a guy like Defoe, Keane, Beckham, or Henry?

No major DP is going to play for The Whitecaps until they are out of BC Place and have a natural grass venue. These players are nearing the end of their careers and have only one or two big pay cheques left, so they aren't going to risk blowing their knee out on the dodgy turf at BC Place. This is a major problem for the Caps.

Thierry Henry is a friend of Steve Nash's and he wouldn't come because of the turf and has yet to play a game in Vancouver or Seattle due to it. The last time the Galaxy were in town Robbie Keene went on an expletive laden rant saying "In this day and age you shouldn't be playing on fields like this. It's not good for players. Especially for people to watch on TV when you're playing."

This is just quotes from players you mentioned, other players around the league have spoken out about how bad it is to play at BC place. In the MLS player survey BC Place was voted the second worst field in the league behind Gillette Stadium which also has turf.

I don't think it's lack of money, The Whitecaps have one of the top 5 payrolls in MLS. If the proposed waterfront stadium was built there would likely be a big DP in Vancouver, likely Henry.

Yes, It's pretty unrealistic. Currently when there is a trade show or Monster Jam they lay flooring on top of the turf which compresses it and is a big part of the problem. Grass wouldn't be able to live if it has a flooring laid on top of it for days.

If BC Place decided not to do the trade shows which is very unlikely, there probably wouldn't be enough sunlight to be able to grow grass.

Murph retweeted this today. Lenarduzzi better get Camilo signed for a new deal pretty quickly. Camilo was a huge reason the Caps didn't finish a lot lower in the standings than they actually did last season.

Paul Chapman@PaulC141h

Despite legal letters, threats, venting of anger from #Whitecaps, Camillo training with Mexican team. Slaps in the face getting stronger

Retweeted by Dan Murph

Lenarduzzi better get Camilo signed for a new deal pretty quickly. Camilo was a huge reason the Caps didn't finish a lot lower in the standings than they actually did last season.

There is no way that the Caps should give Camilo one more penny. It's a cap driven league and while Camilo is great value for his deal, but you can't start a precedent where Camilo and his agent can act like whining children and be rewarded with a larger salary. While he was smoking hot in 2013, but who's to say that next year won't be bad like in 2012.

No player should ever be bigger than the team. Depending on what Camilo decides to do from here on out they should either take him back to Vancouver and make him fight for every minute or try to get as much money from Queretaro as possible to sign a DP.

With Mattocks, Miller, Manneh, Salgado, Hurtado, and Clarke signed as strikers, The Whitecaps should be focused at signing midfielders, right backs, a goalkeeper, and DeMerit (if the moneys right).

Edited by thedan8

Camilo is done here, the bridge is burnt its too late now even if the whitecaps win their case.

Haven't been paying too much attention to the off-season news but safe to say this team probably won't be competing for a playoff spot the way the roster currently is constructed?

Camilo is done here, the bridge is burnt its too late now even if the whitecaps win their case.

Haven't been paying too much attention to the off-season news but safe to say this team probably won't be competing for a playoff spot the way the roster currently is constructed?

They'll be bringing in a lot of trial players for training camp, and hopefully a few of those will surprise, but as of right now, they won't be making the playoffs. We would ideally need a playmaking attacking mid, some goaltender depth, a right back to replace YP Lee, perhaps another left back to give Harvey some competition, and maybe a good striker to replace Camilo.

edit: And Robinson is taking some time to adjust the coaching personnel, having just let go of former assistant coach Paul Ritchie.

Edited by euphoria/

It's funny how much Toronto FC is campaigning Defoe and Bradly it shows you how desperate they are turn their team around with attendance dropping.

Also this whole Camilo thing isn't anyone's fault other then Camilo and his agent, I hope the caps don't bring him back because he basically slapped the vancouver fans and management in the face

There is no way that the Caps should give Camilo one more penny. It's a cap driven league and while Camilo is great value for his deal, but you can't start a precedent where Camilo and his agent can act like whining children and be rewarded with a larger salary. While he was smoking hot in 2013, but who's to say that next year won't be bad like in 2012.

No player should ever be bigger than the team. Depending on what Camilo decides to do from here on out they should either take him back to Vancouver and make him fight for every minute or try to get as much money from Queretaro as possible to sign a DP.

With Mattocks, Miller, Manneh, Salgado, Hurtado, and Clarke signed as strikers, The Whitecaps should be focused at signing midfielders, right backs, a goalkeeper, and DeMerit (if the moneys right).

I disagree. I think you sign Camilo at all costs. He was our MVP, and the MLS golden boot winner. You don't just let that type of player walk, unless it is absolutely impossible to sign him. And as long as Vancouver is playing on artificial turf, they will struggle to sign a DP from Europe or anywhere outside North America.

Mattocks is severely over rated, Miller is aging, Salgado hasn't proven anything except to be injury prone, and Clarke hasn't even played in the MLS yet. Manneh and Hurtado are the only forwards who are somewhat reliable, and last season they both struggled with consistency. Without Camilo the Caps will be one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, and it would be a miracle to make the play offs.

I love the 'Caps and I'll be supporting them 100% no matter what happens in the off season, but if Camilo leaves, the 2014 season does not look good.

It's funny how much Toronto FC is campaigning Defoe and Bradly it shows you how desperate they are turn their team around with attendance dropping.

Also this whole Camilo thing isn't anyone's fault other then Camilo and his agent, I hope the caps don't bring him back because he basically slapped the vancouver fans and management in the face

I think your jealousy is showing to some level lol. If you're acquiring two amazing players who will help bring some skill to TFC, it's going to be great.

Watching the raps game right now, they put up a video on the board. They're talking about it in the game right now. Everyone's excited about it. If we brought in Defoe, everyone would be super excited. Of course it sells tickets, but it's not like it's going to make their team worse with the signing lmao..

Toronto teams on the rise dude. Used to be the hellhole, but now they have some assets/players in every city. Argos won in 2012. Raps have done an amazing job this season. Leafs would have been in the semis last year although struggling this year. The Blue Jays were a team that should have won the world series, but didn't. Now TFC doing their part. It's great to see improvement in these cities..

I've heard that Camilo has been sold for $1.5 million. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't think $1.5 million is enough. There's no official statement from the Whitecaps or MLS but Dan Murphy retweeted this:

Tyler Green@tylergreenFC2h

Paty Fernandez of ESPN reporting Camilo Sanvezzo's move to Queretaro is done. #MLS #VWFC #LigaMX

Retweeted by Dan Murphy

Tyler Green@tylergreenFC

2h

#WhitecapsFC will receive $1.5 million for Camilo from Queretaro according to reports.

Tyler Green@tylergreenFC1h

Darren Mattocks must be the happiest #WhitecapsFC player right. No one is talking about his stupid comments anymore. Everyone hates Camilo