The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't understand how Arsenal let Ramsey go without getting anything in return.

Our horrible wage structure + his own (justified) ambitions to play on a CL team.  There's only one scenario where I would have seen him stay beyond his deal and that's if he was made highest earner, given the captaincy, and all of that.

Regardless this is hopefully the 7395th wakeup call for Arsenal to start turning things around.

One of the worst finals you'll ever see. Happy for Klopp, Van Dijk and Robertson. 

Liverpool have become a bit of a plastic club since the money flooded into English football though. Their fans are a myth, aren't anywhere near what they used to be, and the bandwagon is overflowing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Was supposed to go watch the final at a friend's place, (a former North Londoner who I'm sure didn't much enjoy the match) but was too busy around the house to get away.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Nosir, you  did not.

I'm sure Liverpool fans loved every minute of it but for a neutral fan........zzzzzzzz.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

So apparently we're in for a Mats Hummels comeback in Dortmund. I don't know how I feel about that. :mellow:

20M + add-ons so not a terrible price for you guys.  I guess that means Balerdi out on loan?

He's definitely surplus to requirements at Bayern with Pavard and Lucas coming in but I figured Boateng would leave before him.  He might still but who knows.

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

20M + add-ons so not a terrible price for you guys.  I guess that means Balerdi out on loan?

He's definitely surplus to requirements at Bayern with Pavard and Lucas coming in but I figured Boateng would leave before him.  He might still but who knows.

Price would be alright, yes.

Toprak + one of the young guys out. Could be Balerdi on loan.

I don't know if Hummels would be the man I would let go first at Bayern. He is still the best CB in build-up at Bayern. Midfield next year won't be any better in build-up. I think it's a weird decision from Bayern. But as a Dortmund fan I'll take it.

• Cheers 1

I guess this is as good as a place as any for Gold Cup discussion. (Unless someone wants to start a new thread and the mods can merge)

Canada starts with a 4-nil victory over Martinique. Phonsie didn't score, but he was the setup man on at least two of the Canadian tallies.

Funny thing is, Martinique had a couple of early chances (against the run of play) that could have had them up by two.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess this is as good as a place as any for Gold Cup discussion. (Unless someone wants to start a new thread and the mods can merge)

Canada starts with a 4-nil victory over Martinique. Phonsie didn't score, but he was the setup man on at least two of the Canadian tallies.

Funny thing is, Martinique had a couple of early chances (against the run of play) that could have had them up by two.

I thought they could have been up by three or four.   Had it not been for some good goal tending and poor shooting things could have been dicey for Canada.

We got away with that against Martinique.  But if we play defensively like that against Mexico things could get ugly.

Nice to see Alphonso again.  And Jonathan David was a pleasant surprise.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Okay, I'll bite.  Who is Okafello?

Okello* (my mistake)

Highly rated midfielder.  Great size, has had trials in the Budesliga (from what I've seen/read), just 18.

Has yet to be capped but had played a lot in the youth sides and should feature more prominently for TFC very soon.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I thought they could have been up by three or four.   Had it not been for some good goal tending and poor shooting things could have been dicey for Canada.

We got away with that against Martinique.  But if we play defensively like that against Mexico things could get ugly.

Nice to see Alphonso again.  And Jonathan David was a pleasant surprise.

Gotta ask: Am I the only one who wonders how Piette gets any time on the pitch? Seems to me, the only time I notice him is when he's given the ball away, or taken an unnecessary yellow for a stupid foul....

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

Feels good to know that players (Saliba, Ceballos) still choose to come to Arsenal over Tottenham.

Apparently now, due to the injury to Asensio in last night's exhibition game against Arsenal, the loan offer of Ceballos might be cancelled.  Real might need him.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marco-asensio-could-miss-entire-18762250?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_Mirror_Nletter_AFC_News_mediumteaser_Text_Story1&utm_campaign=arsenal_fc_newsletter

20 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Apparently now, due to the injury to Asensio in last night's exhibition game against Arsenal, the loan offer of Ceballos might be cancelled.  Real might need him.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marco-asensio-could-miss-entire-18762250?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_Mirror_Nletter_AFC_News_mediumteaser_Text_Story1&utm_campaign=arsenal_fc_newsletter

Nah, he was confirmed today with Saliba :) 

• Cheers 1