Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Pekka Rinne is done

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#121 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

I find OP to be funny and it's right on too: If Rinne was on Canucks, he would get the same treatment Luongo gets. It's not really Luongo who caused all this. I feel media and fans give the same crap to any goaltender playing for us. There have to be reasons why Vancouver is a goalie graveyard and I feel this being one of them.

#122 howswedeitis76

howswedeitis76

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

<br />IBTL This is Canucks talk. Not Nashville talk.<br />I get the sarcasm, but still, wrong team.<br />

<br /><br /><br />
-

I don't see how this thread can be any more about this team, or it's fan-base. Spot on irony, a la Jonathan Swift!

(for those who don't get the reference, look up "A Modest Proposal"...but then, those who don't realize it is sarcasm and irony here, likely will think Jonathan Swift was serious too.)

#123 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,823 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

Don't know why people are not getting the sarcasm in this thread, it's as subtle as a brick to the face.

Rinne strung far more complete games in a row and was ALWAYS a threat to steal a game for the Preds no matter how they played in front of him, Lu would do that one game and then take two games off in the entire finals.

If Rinne started showing inconsistency like Lu, then he would face the same scrutiny. (Now lets tell me how I am a horrible fan because my love isn't unconditional)

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#124 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

YEAH!!! WHAT YOU SAID!!! I remember when Rinne totaly shyt the bed in the games in vancouver and almost let in a total of 20 goals in 3 games!!! ..... Wait Rinne never shyt the bed that bad in the SCF.... wow so he is not like lui at all. Rinne didnt almost lose to the blackhawks for 3 STRAIGHT YEARS. Rinne didnt almost lose to USA in the gold medal game. Rinne isnt a choke artist. He played very well in our series against him I have nothing but respect for him. Lui shyt the bed in Boston so bad that they had 0 respect for us and then they took it to us.

You can depend on lui to do one thing. And thats choke. Stop waving the pom poms you look ridiculous.

And to whomever does not like it.. suck eggs. See you after we lose another heartbreaker this year.

Rinne and Luongo both have bad games during regular seasons, but Luongo made it to the SCF and Rinne never has. Yeah, you're right that Rinne isn't like Luongo at all. Rinne has accomplished so very little compared to Luongo.

#125 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

<br /><br /><br />
-

I don't see how this thread can be any more about this team, or it's fan-base. Spot on irony, a la Jonathan Swift!

But it's not, because it misses the point completely. People didn't boo Luongo because he let in 4 goals against New York. They booed him because he's collapsed in the playoffs 3 years in a row. The NY game just gave people an opportunity to show their frustration.

And people were Loooing again in the Nashville game. The city hasn't turned on him as much as it might seem from reading CDC. That Bronx cheer was jet letting Luongo know that that kind of play isn't OK, and that he needs to step it up. It's like when your parents would yell at you as a kid. They still loved you, but you were probably acting like an asshat and deserved it.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#126 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Pekka Rinne is washed up. He just isn't the same goalie anymore. This goes back to last season's exit from the playoffs. One man basically owned him (Ryan Kesler). He is supposed to be an elite goalie but he couldn't even beat lousy Luongo in a 7 game series. He could not even help his team past the Canucks when the Preds had the Sedins completely shut down. He's a flopper. He has poor positioning. He is slow. His glove hand is weak, his blocker is weaker, and everyone can see into next Tuesday through his 5-hole.

Now this? .750 on 16 shots? Clearly he is terrible. Lindback is ready. We need to trade Pekka Rinne for a 2nd rate player while he has any value.

Pekka Rinne is garbage and the Predators should give up on him. They will never win a cup with him. He is not a playoff performer. He is mentally weak. He crumbles under pressure.

Next time I go to a game that Pekka Rinne gets scored on (even if they are good goals) I will boo him mercilessly. He deserves it and it will make his job harder. Which is what I want to do. I HATE him and I want him to do poorly so that I will feel better about myself and my accurate judgements of his poor play.

If he doesn't receive some criticism after that perfromance there is definitely something wrong with that franchise.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#127 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

If he doesn't receive some criticism after that perfromance there is definitely something wrong with that franchise.

Aside from the first goal those were some really tough shots to stop.

Lu's was comical as well.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#128 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

the luongo haters still wont realize how dumb they are after this..

I'm not a Lou hater but in all fairness Rinne didn't have much chance on most of those. It's not like he was laying on his belly of not paying attention to the play which is where the haters come in.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#129 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Aside from the first goal those were some really tough shots to stop.

Lu's was comical as well.

Lou's was typical not paying attention. Seems to be why he gets beat down low and around the net often times.

Rinne's goals were pretty tough for the most part. I was just trying to point out that he still has to be held accountable, I mean they're not going to tell him he played great are they?

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#130 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm not a Lou hater but in all fairness Rinne didn't have much chance on most of those. It's not like he was laying on his belly of not paying attention to the play which is where the haters come in.

I don't think that's the point though. Luongo takes crap weather it's his fault or not. When the defense collapses around him and it becomes a shooting gallery, somehow it's still always his fault according to the masses on these boards.

This is a commentary on how we react day in and day out on Luongo and how alot of it is totally unjustified. Alot of it is justified aswell, but many of our fans have trouble discerning the difference between the two situations.
TL.jpg

#131 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Some of you have never heard of tongue-in-cheek??

meaning: "take what I am saying with a grain of salt, or in an ironic or facetious manner"

Take with a grain of salt:
Meaning
-To take a statement with 'a grain of salt' or 'a pinch of salt' means to accept it but to maintain a degree of skepticism about its truth.

Tongue-in-cheek:
Meaning
A phrase used as a figure of speech to imply that a statement or other production is humorously intended and it should not be taken at face value.

They're closely related but one is a joke where as they other is information that may not be true.

Edited by Dogbyte, 21 October 2011 - 09:31 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#132 canuckschick1234

canuckschick1234

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

*slow clap* Well done.
2011-2012 LEAGUE STANDINGS - Last updated: March 19, 2:18 PM

Posted Image

#133 Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Theres a reason Vancouver has a rich history of being a goalie graveyard, and the tremendous pressure and expectations that fans put on the goalies is the main reason. Just because we don't win the cup doesn't mean we need to trade our goalie, 28 other teams didn't win either.

Edited by Jumpin Jack Flash, 21 October 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#134 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Lindback is ready. We need to trade Pekka Rinne for a 2nd rate player while he has any value.

This is proof that Trotz hates young players.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#135 Weslok

Weslok

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Pekka Rinne is washed up. He just isn't the same goalie anymore. This goes back to last season's exit from the playoffs. One man basically owned him (Ryan Kesler). He is supposed to be an elite goalie but he couldn't even beat lousy Luongo in a 7 game series. He could not even help his team past the Canucks when the Preds had the Sedins completely shut down. He's a flopper. He has poor positioning. He is slow. His glove hand is weak, his blocker is weaker, and everyone can see into next Tuesday through his 5-hole.

Now this? .750 on 16 shots? Clearly he is terrible. Lindback is ready. We need to trade Pekka Rinne for a 2nd rate player while he has any value.

Pekka Rinne is garbage and the Predators should give up on him. They will never win a cup with him. He is not a playoff performer. He is mentally weak. He crumbles under pressure.

Next time I go to a game that Pekka Rinne gets scored on (even if they are good goals) I will boo him mercilessly. He deserves it and it will make his job harder. Which is what I want to do. I HATE him and I want him to do poorly so that I will feel better about myself and my accurate judgements of his poor play.

you need this lol

Edited by Weslok, 21 October 2011 - 09:37 AM.

Please don't attack other users in your sig.

#136 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,464 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

YEAH!!! WHAT YOU SAID!!! I remember when Rinne totaly shyt the bed in the games in vancouver and almost let in a total of 20 goals in 3 games!!! ..... Wait Rinne never shyt the bed that bad in the SCF.... wow so he is not like lui at all. Rinne didnt almost lose to the blackhawks for 3 STRAIGHT YEARS. Rinne didnt almost lose to USA in the gold medal game. Rinne isnt a choke artist. He played very well in our series against him I have nothing but respect for him. Lui shyt the bed in Boston so bad that they had 0 respect for us and then they took it to us.

You can depend on lui to do one thing. And thats choke. Stop waving the pom poms you look ridiculous.

And to whomever does not like it.. suck eggs. See you after we lose another heartbreaker this year.

[purpose of thread validated]

Ok, we can all go home now!

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#137 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

Someone just needs to pump his tires..

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#138 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

Don't know why people are not getting the sarcasm in this thread, it's as subtle as a brick to the face.

Rinne strung far more complete games in a row and was ALWAYS a threat to steal a game for the Preds no matter how they played in front of him, Lu would do that one game and then take two games off in the entire finals.

If Rinne started showing inconsistency like Lu, then he would face the same scrutiny. (Now lets tell me how I am a horrible fan because my love isn't unconditional)

Really... 'far more complete games in a row'? Got evidence of that? How many Rinne games have you watched?
If Lu is so inconsistent, how is it he could win the Jennings andhave virtually identical stats to Rinne's in both GAA and save % last season (second and third best in the league respectively)? And you seem to have forgotten the amazing win streaks Lu put together last season.
In the finals, Lu got 2 shutouts and played a huge part in the third victory. He did his part. He did not 'take two games off''. Any astute fan would see that the whole team broke down in those games. No goals. No defense. No special teams. No support for Lu.
No, you're not a horrible fan... just not a very educated one.

But it's not, because it misses the point completely. People didn't boo Luongo because he let in 4 goals against New York. They booed him because he's collapsed in the playoffs 3 years in a row. The NY game just gave people an opportunity to show their frustration.

And people were Loooing again in the Nashville game. The city hasn't turned on him as much as it might seem from reading CDC. That Bronx cheer was jet letting Luongo know that that kind of play isn't OK, and that he needs to step it up. It's like when your parents would yell at you as a kid. They still loved you, but you were probably acting like an asshat and deserved it.

I disagree. They certainly did boo him for letting in 4 goals. Never mind that the defensive coverage broke down and odd man rushes were given up. Never mind that 3 of those 4 goals were unstoppable no matter who was in net. Never mind that they couldn't get a goal despite 40 shots and 8 power plays. Why didn't the rest of the team get booed? Because the fans who booed are simpletons who don't really know the game.
'collapsed in the playoffs 3 years in a row'? See my remarks above.

Edited by yes we can nucks, 21 October 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#139 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

I don't think that's the point though. Luongo takes crap weather it's his fault or not. When the defense collapses around him and it becomes a shooting gallery, somehow it's still always his fault according to the masses on these boards.

This is a commentary on how we react day in and day out on Luongo and how alot of it is totally unjustified. Alot of it is justified aswell, but many of our fans have trouble discerning the difference between the two situations.

Okay, fair enough I get the point. Although the criticism goes to far, Lou has usually let in suspect goal or two in that situation and one that is downright laughable but I really don't want to fight the point as that is not my goal.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#140 PowerAids

PowerAids

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Don't try to be sarcastic. We won today. It's happy times.

Oh right, that's your job!

#141 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,728 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

Well done youngdad, well done
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#142 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,823 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

Really... 'far more complete games in a row'? Got evidence of that? How many Rinne games have you watched?
If Lu is so inconsistent, how is it he could win the Jennings andhave virtually identical stats to Rinne's in both GAA and save % last season (second and third best in the league respectively)? And you seem to have forgotten the amazing win streaks Lu put together last season.
In the finals, Lu got 2 shutouts and played a huge part in the third victory. He did his part. He did not 'take two games off''. Any astute fan would see that the whole team broke down in those games. No goals. No defense. No special teams. No support for Lu.
No, you're not a horrible fan... just not a very educated one.

You have forgotten the meltdowns, collapses and inconsistency of the last years as well. Cherry pick the good games and there was no doubt he was good, but Rinne also had a great season (also finalist) and in front of a worse team (much worse)

If Lu gets all the credit for the wins and Jennings, then he gets the blame for the losses when he's terrible in net. You can't have it both ways. I will admit Lu can be good but if you can't admit Lu melts down and can be terrible, then you are not watching with your brain turned on.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#143 Flying Hellfish

Flying Hellfish

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Well played, sir. Well played.

The funniest part is how many people completely missed what you were actually saying.

#144 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

I think this thread just established what is wrong with CDC: a.lack of reading comprehension, and no concept of allegory or sub-text.
Posted Image

#145 Zing!

Zing!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

1st Goal - Behind the red line
2nd Goal - Above his shoulders while he was on his knees
3rd Goal - Above his shoulders while he was on his knees
4th Goal - On his stomach flopping
5th Goal - Way deep in net above his shoulders

Clearly terrible.

#146 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Clearly terrible.

all for 2 millions less that failuongo =p
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#147 youngdad

youngdad

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Clearly terrible.

Posted Image just Posted Image

#148 iE.

iE.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

all for 2 millions less that failuongo =p

Next year he's probably going to be making more than Luongo.

Posted Image

I think Luongo will be traded to Ottawa for 5th round pick + cash considerations, before the trade dealine.

Can't be surprised. Skill wise Luongo is debatably the least talented goalie in the NHL. He should be playing in a lower division somewhere in Europe (div. II or III).

It's a shame that the Twins will never have an elite winger to play with because we've spent that money on a no-win goalie.

luongo will have played his way back to florida by the time the christmas break rolls around.

This is why we can't have nice things...

#149 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

Now this is how you use sarcasm effectively.

Well done youngdad.....Luongo haters.....hang your heads.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#150 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

You have forgotten the meltdowns, collapses and inconsistency of the last years as well. Cherry pick the good games and there was no doubt he was good, but Rinne also had a great season (also finalist) and in front of a worse team (much worse)

If Lu gets all the credit for the wins and Jennings, then he gets the blame for the losses when he's terrible in net. You can't have it both ways. I will admit Lu can be good but if you can't admit Lu melts down and can be terrible, then you are not watching with your brain turned on.

I have not forgotten the meltdowns of the last few years. The thing is, they were not Luongo meltdowns, they were team meltdowns. You can't hang the losses on him when in both the Chicago series of 2010 and last year's SCF, the team was depleted with key injuries. I have already talked about what he did in the SCF. He couldn't do much more when the team couldn't score and the defense was depleted.
I'm not questioning Rinne's ability. I do question your statement that he is more consistent than Luongo even though their stats were virtually the same last year. Rinne has the benefit of a team that is centred around defense. He has two of the best dmen in the league in Weber and Suter playing in front of him.
I don't have to say that Lu can be terrible. That is a given with ANY player. I just disagree with him getting all the blame when the team loses. In that 4-0 loss to New York for example. Yes, he was terrible. But the team was also terrible for not being able to finish any of their chances, for not cashing in on 8 power plays, for giving up so many odd many rushes that led to goals, for defensive breakdowns. If Lu was booed, the whole team should've been booed. Having said that, I think it's disgraceful to boo our team at all.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.