The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth

rwZephyr

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well maybe we should have. I am not going to name names but we have a lack of one thing and an abundance of another. When you feel that is holding you back you make the tough decisions.

I am desperate for Booth to come good.............but if he doesn't, it will have been a blunder.

THIS team did well imo right up to and including game 7. But all the way through it was obvious, at least to me, that there was something lacking both in defence and attack.

Booth would not have been my answer to what we needed. But I know bugger all about hockey.

You don't know much about the NHL do you?

I for one was not on the acquire Booth wagon, however Gillis gave up Strurm who was doing jack and is for all intents and purposes done. He also gave up Sammy who despite his great playoffs in 2010 was also pretty much done.

In return MG got a fast hard driving forward who shoots, a lot, to play on out second line. Never mind that Kesler is struggling, Booth still has excellent point totals in the games he's played for us.

I expect after more time learning the Canucks "systems" he will become a better fit.

Raymond who was our 2nd line staple last year had speed but rarely if ever drove to the net.

Now you say there are 20 guys in Booth bracket who the nucks could have got. I disagree. If they were available we'd have to give up more than we did for booth with zero guarantee they'd fit better than booth.

It's retarded to suggest he is worth $6.3. Reinprecht's contract is irrelevant. It's like asking if Sturm is worth $4.75 to FLA because Samuelsson hasn't played yet.

Having a cup winning vet in the minors to help groom some of our prospects throughout the season is not a terrible trade-off and and Aquilinis will make that money back in one playoff game anyways.

Lol @ this post. It sucks and is mostly wrong.

1. Samuelsson is a streaky player and year in year out his point totals are fair for his rate of pay. Prove me wrong.

They're fair, yes, but his production was decreasing, whether related to injury or age or both. Being a UFA after this year it was smart to get an asset back for him.

2. Sturm was a poor signing. Turning that into a longer term, marginal player is not a smart move and has not proven wise.

Can't disagree with you there. I wouldn't have minded the experiment at a lesser price, but Gillis at least got a return for him when it didn't work out rather than just waive him.

3. David Booth may have speed but his -6 leads all forwards in the category of sucking defensively. He has only played in 2 games this season where he got a point and was still a plus. One game he had 2 points but was STILL a -2 by the end of it. That is UGLY.

The points he's been getting (and this is the same when he was with Flrodia) are often PP points. He doesn't get a + for those and he doesn't spend time on the PK so that isn't the counter. He does need to work on his all-around game but you almost have to expect that after playing in Florida and he'll adjust over time.

4. Raymond produced 39 points last year with 15 goals. Hardly enough to write home about considering how long he has been a "project in the works" player. I believe he should be re-evaluated and used on a 3rd line and his contract should reflect it.

I think he is a better 3rd liner than top 6 but his lack of physical play is a negative against him there. If Hansen isn't hitting (assuming CoHo or Manny would be center) that line doesn't bring a lot of energy.

5. The production of Booth is easily comparable to probably 40 other players in the league. No, I am not going to go and find links etc. do it yourself.

Those probable 40 other players are hardly all available for us to get, certainly not for a return of Sturm and Samuelsson. He's in the top 90 offensive players for expected point production based on previous years (top 60 if he excels) and those players don't come cheap.

6. Samuelsson was 4th on the team last year for point production. That sounds like quite a different situation than sounding like "He is pretty much done".

As mentioned above, relating to injury and age, he did slow down later in the season and did very little in the playoffs. He hadn't started well at all this year, and is sitting out with another injury again. Not a bad reason to get something back for a pending UFA we weren't likely to re-sign.

So ya.

Booth was brought in to give somebody for Kesler to pass to. But if Kesler is playing some god-awful hockey himself, then Booth is fracked.

The diminishment of Kesler and Malhotra this season is going to prove to be VERY taxing.

Lol @ this post. It sucks and is mostly wrong.

1. Samuelsson is a streaky player and year in year out his point totals are fair for his rate of pay. Prove me wrong.

2. Sturm was a poor signing. Turning that into a longer term, marginal player is not a smart move and has not proven wise.

3. David Booth may have speed but his -6 leads all forwards in the category of sucking defensively. He has only played in 2 games this season where he got a point and was still a plus. One game he had 2 points but was STILL a -2 by the end of it. That is UGLY.

4. Raymond produced 39 points last year with 15 goals. Hardly enough to write home about considering how long he has been a "project in the works" player. I believe he should be re-evaluated and used on a 3rd line and his contract should reflect it.

5. The production of Booth is easily comparable to probably 40 other players in the league. No, I am not going to go and find links etc. do it yourself.

6. Samuelsson was 4th on the team last year for point production. That sounds like quite a different situation than sounding like "He is pretty much done".

So ya.

Anyone else notice that Booth and Schroeder are pretty similar? Booth is bigger though.

Both try to get through defenders but almost always get stripped of the puck.

Both are very fast and have a wicked and accurate wrister, but don't seem to shoot in the right areas most of the time.

Finally, both are american.

Booth reminds me of James Neal when he went to Pitt.

Everybody was saying that the Penguins stole Neal for Goligoski.

But Goligoski looked like the way better player at the end of the year.

Now Neal is comfortable and killing it. Booth has more time to get comfortable before the playoffs.

Booth lives in a hotel for frack sakes people, he's hardly settled in yet! i dont know about putting him on the sedin line cuz moving back down to 2nd or 3rd would start the whole chemistry process over again, we need to keep him with who he plays best with and let the chemistry build. he is a top 6 despite anyones opinion, thats just fact, and hes earned it, he may be struggling but hell play like a top 6 once he adjusts and gets a good line with chemistry.

sedin-sedin-burr

booth-kesler-mayray

hansen-lapierre-higgins

weise-malhotra-volpatti

Edler - Hamhuis

Rome - Bieksa

Salo - Tanev

I agree with bringing tanev in, he played well for us in the SCF. I hate that i just can fit CoHo in i like him too. Maybe in place of one of the 3rd line guys?

Its gonna take time to adjust.

While he can be better, he hasn't been all bad.

He's put points up. He's hardly the reason why the team is under performing.

Of course we'd like to see him make an impact right away, but it is unrealistic to expect.

I expect him to get better over the coming months.

It was a risky move acquiring Booth, one I think was worth taking.

We moved a couple of pending UFA's to get a top-6 forward.

Its good because MG didn't have to play the 'trade Schneider' card.

Booth, also would have cost more if he was a UFA acquisition.

1. Sammy was solid for us but he's creeping up on 37 years old, UFA at the end of this year and he has yet to play a single game this season due to injury. Booth is a very good young player with a high skillset and tremendous potential who is signed for a number of years. This move was not just for the now. Consider what it cost teams to sign UFA's this past off-season and Gillis has avoided putting the organization into a position where we need to overpay to hunt down a UFA for our top 6 considering both Sturm and Sammy were likely done with us at the end of the year and Raymond, albeit RFA, is also up.

2. Sturm was the only logical signing in the off-season in the NHL. You also fail to remember what teams are willing to pay players on the open market.

Consider this: BUF gave $4.6 for 6 years to Ville Leino who has played only two seasons in the NHL (only one full season) with one 19 goal season. This year he has 2G-3A and 5PTS in 20 games and he has been getting 4th line duties at times.

Eric Cole is similar in MTL. $4.5 per year and he has 12PTS (6G-6A) in 21 games (VS. Booth's 7PTS in 12 games).

TOR gave Connolly $5.0 per year and he has 7PTS in 9 games. He's played in only 48 games in two of the last four seasons. He hasn't played a full season since 2001-2002.

We would not get as good a player as Booth on the open market for the money he's making.

3. Yes, you are right, but Booth was a -6 when he left FLA and he is still a -6 here, which means since coming to the Canucks he has been even, which is better than 8 of our forwards. Kevin Bieksa has worse +/- than Booth and he's making more money. Malhotra is a -10 and he's supposed to be our top defensive forward.

4. Raymond has also scored 25 goals in a season and produced 53 points in a season.

5. Perhaps, but when you start looking at points-per-game since he's been with the Canucks then that list of 40 becomes much, much smaller to compare.

6. That was last year. Last year he also suffered an injury in the playoffs and missed the Conference and Cup finals, required surgery and this year he hasn't played in over a month due to the same injury.

key words there. KESLER DOESN'T PASS. That's why his shot has been in-effective, hes going to shoot and everyone and their dog knows it.

Even when he tries to pass hes god awful at it. Sure he threads the needle on a few but I strike that more at luck than anything else.

AV is a milt

Its gonna take time to adjust.

While he can be better, he hasn't been all bad.

He's put points up. He's hardly the reason why the team is under performing.

Of course we'd like to see him make an impact right away, but it is unrealistic to expect.

I expect him to get better over the coming months.

It was a risky move acquiring Booth, one I think was worth taking.

We moved a couple of pending UFA's to get a top-6 forward.

Its good because MG didn't have to play the 'trade Schneider' card.

Booth, also would have cost more if he was a UFA acquisition.

Tough luck...first Ballard, now Booth. Sigh...

Never trade for players from Florida again MG. The Florida players put up good numbers becuase teams around the league simply do not show a lot of respect to that team, thus team do not usually get up for the Panthers and let them score some garbage goals or something..

Booth lives in a hotel for frack sakes people, he's hardly settled in yet! i dont know about putting him on the sedin line cuz moving back down to 2nd or 3rd would start the whole chemistry process over again, we need to keep him with who he plays best with and let the chemistry build. he is a top 6 despite anyones opinion, thats just fact, and hes earned it, he may be struggling but hell play like a top 6 once he adjusts and gets a good line with chemistry.

How are you so sure? Isn't Samuelsson still injured and haven't played a game for Florida?

How can you really compare the two players? One player is starting to approach the drop in his career while the other player is still young and still has chances to improve. At the minimum, I haven't seen Booth turning over the puck as much during the PP.

He drives to the net dragging half the team with him then loses the puck and drops us in the s--t! I didn't like the Sturm acquisition but I would bet that he and Sammy together would have offered more to us after a quarter of the season than Booth. And we wouldn't have their salary for 3 years.

Your arguments seem fine on the face of it until you actually watch him play in the team.

Tough luck...first Ballard, now Booth. Sigh...

Never trade for players from Florida again MG. The Florida players put up good numbers becuase teams around the league simply do not show a lot of respect to that team, thus team do not usually get up for the Panthers and let them score some garbage goals or something..

Archived