The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Listen up people...

I have taken a lot of $hit on here for being perceived as a complete pessimist and while I admittedly lean that way (40 years of failure, 20 of which I have been a fan for) I feel I am a realist so here is a realistic view of this from someone who has referred to CDC many times this year as Can't Trade Cody and who text messaged their wife with the following: "Canucks still have a deal in place. Cody may be traded :'(

There are many, MANY things people are not seeing here:

1) The Canucks have a ton of smallish, skilled forwards. They have ZERO massive, power forwards in the entire system.

2) 21 year olds with tremendous junior and AHL pedigrees that are 6'3 and 228lbs do not grow on trees and are highly sought after throughout the league.

3) Kassian provides the Canucks with TONS of depth and options throughout the lineup.

4) People are clearly underestimating the role and ability of Pahlsson who has Cup WINNING experience and has had over 150 hits the last 2 years.

5) It is clear that AV wants a true checking line in the playoffs. Hodgson cannot provide that. Pahlsson can.

6) The acquisition of Pahlsson may allow both Kesler and Burrows to stay off the PK and focus on 5 on 5 play. Reducing their minutes and specifically "hard" minutes on the PK will hopefully help keep them fresh. With Pahlsson, Malhotra, Lapi, Higgins, and Raymond the Canucks have many PK options that do not include Kes or Burr. Hodgson did not allow for this.

7) The addition of Gragnani provides the Canucks with a much better option at the #5 defensive slot. He was +10 on a bad Buffalo team. He has a tremendous offensive pedigree, had 7 points in playoff games just a year ago, and is familiar with AV. Paired with a sold defensive guy like Tanev, the Canucks now have a quick, puck moving bottom pairing that can effectively move the puck for 12 minutes a game in the playoffs. They also have capable depth guys in Rome and Alberts who are now slotted in perfectly as depth players.

8) Gragnani also adds a ton to the second PP unit.

9) Did anyone ever consider the development of Jordan Schroeder, a former first rounder like Cody whose more than likely a future NHL centerman because of his smallish stature, allowed for Cody to be moved and that Schroeder will be developed to be a pest like, offensive upside type 3rd line checking center that AV so desires?!?!

10) Lastly, there is a STRONG possibility that the eventual move of Cory will replenish the system and may even bring back a Hodgson type. Doesn't a return of Brassard and John Moore for instance (we would likely need to add some other pieces) replace Cody effectively.

I realize the shock factor. I was stunned myself. I was seconds away last week from ordering a Hodgson jersey. However, you need to look at EVERYTHING involved here and take your heart out of the opinion to be able to accurately assess the move. I personally think this team is more playoff ready now than before today.

"This year Marc-Andre Gragnani played 43 games had 1 goal 11 assists and 12 points. In that time Gragnani racked up a +10 plus/minus on a team that in the last 10 was 5-4-1 and the Goals Against of 180 and a Goals For of 154. On their current roster (not including Hodgson or Sulzer) the next hightest plus/minus total on their team is Tyler Ennis at a +3. Seems like this guy flew a bit under the radar."

Kassian aside, Gragnani looks like a solid and good addition, i just hope he can play the right side.. he's a left shot

Gragnani, a high risk offensive guy with Tanev, a low risk defensive guy fits and sounds a bit familiar doesn't it?

i.e. Ballard-Tanev last year.

I don't get why people are saying that we traded Cody for a minor league player. Kassian is a year younger than Cody and will most likely have a job with the Canucks next year. Plus, Kassian had better stats in the AHL last year than Cody ever had. In my opinion we win this trade because of the addition of Gragnani.

Yeah...Because TONS of rookie centerman carry their teams to the Cup. :picard:

F-in-A people...Get a hold of yourselves!!!

Yeah...Because TONS of rookie centerman carry their teams to the Cup. :picard:

F-in-A people...Get a hold of yourselves!!!

He didn't have to carry the team, but he could have been a big piece to the run.

If the Sedins and Kesler struggle to score, it's gonna look pretty bad that we traded away our 20 goal scoring third line center.

Listen up people...

I have taken a lot of $hit on here for being perceived as a complete pessimist and while I admittedly lean that way (40 years of failure, 20 of which I have been a fan for) I feel I am a realist so here is a realistic view of this from someone who has referred to CDC many times this year as Can't Trade Cody and who text messaged their wife with the following: "Canucks still have a deal in place. Cody may be traded :'(

There are many, MANY things people are not seeing here:

1) The Canucks have a ton of smallish, skilled forwards. They have ZERO massive, power forwards in the entire system.

2) 21 year olds with tremendous junior and AHL pedigrees that are 6'3 and 228lbs do not grow on trees and are highly sought after throughout the league.

3) Kassian provides the Canucks with TONS of depth and options throughout the lineup.

4) People are clearly underestimating the role and ability of Pahlsson who has Cup WINNING experience and has had over 150 hits the last 2 years.

5) It is clear that AV wants a true checking line in the playoffs. Hodgson cannot provide that. Pahlsson can.

6) The acquisition of Pahlsson may allow both Kesler and Burrows to stay off the PK and focus on 5 on 5 play. Reducing their minutes and specifically "hard" minutes on the PK will hopefully help keep them fresh. With Pahlsson, Malhotra, Lapi, Higgins, and Raymond the Canucks have many PK options that do not include Kes or Burr. Hodgson did not allow for this.

7) The addition of Gragnani provides the Canucks with a much better option at the #5 defensive slot. He was +10 on a bad Buffalo team. He has a tremendous offensive pedigree, had 7 points in playoff games just a year ago, and is familiar with AV. Paired with a sold defensive guy like Tanev, the Canucks now have a quick, puck moving bottom pairing that can effectively move the puck for 12 minutes a game in the playoffs. They also have capable depth guys in Rome and Alberts who are now slotted in perfectly as depth players.

8) Gragnani also adds a ton to the second PP unit.

9) Did anyone ever consider the development of Jordan Schroeder, a former first rounder like Cody whose more than likely a future NHL centerman because of his smallish stature, allowed for Cody to be moved and that Schroeder will be developed to be a pest like, offensive upside type 3rd line checking center that AV so desires?!?!

10) Lastly, there is a STRONG possibility that the eventual move of Cory will replenish the system and may even bring back a Hodgson type. Doesn't a return of Brassard and John Moore for instance (we would likely need to add some other pieces) replace Cody effectively.

I realize the shock factor. I was stunned myself. I was seconds away last week from ordering a Hodgson jersey. However, you need to look at EVERYTHING involved here and take your heart out of the opinion to be able to accurately assess the move. I personally think this team is more playoff ready now than before today.

not only is Bottom 6 better...we could have TWO shutdown line.......that is amazing

Gragnani, a high risk offensive guy with Tanev, a low risk defensive guy fits and sounds a bit familiar doesn't it?

i.e. Ballard-Tanev last year.

Yeah i'm not sure about that, Tanev doesn't lay on the body very much, I think that combo would get run over a bit..

Edler - Gragnani probably works better if he can play the right side..

or Ballard - Gragnani might be good, since Ballard has the wheels to cover mistakes and has a bit of an edge to the game..

Its all plug and play and learn anyways :P

You're crazy if you think that +10 means anything. +/- is the most overrated stat in the game. A buffalo beat writer who has watched him play all season said he's terrible defensively and most buffalo fans on hfboards say the same thing.

Marek Malik once lead the league in +/-. Jeff schutlz was a +50 one year. Neither are elite defenders.

The guy had 7 points in 7 playoff games last year and was their best defenseman.

I really care about a Buffalo beat writer's opinion. He has as much hockey knowledge as most of this forum.

Last year people were rather upset with Hodgson's situation, now that he was somewhat established it's of course hard to let him go. It sucks on an emotional level, but that is, in my opinion where a lot of people are stopping. There's also the bigger picture that deserves consideration. But, imho:

One of the weaker reasons, is he was stuck and would continue to be that way behind Kesler and Henrik. Yes, he or someone else could transition to the wing to insert him into the top-six. But at the same time there was a chance to get a young, big body with good/great upside and a somewhat young puck mover who made a decent impact last season and still has room to improve. If the 3rd line centre position could be replaced (and it has been), then I see nothing fundamentally wrong with pulling the trigger on this trade. If people are now worried about the lack of a good prospect at center, don't worry, Schroeder isn't dead.

Gragnani was a +10 on a craptacular Buffalo team, has a good corsi qualcomp rating iirc, and has won the AHL's award for best defenseman. He also did alright in last year's NHL playoffs with 7pts in 7 games. He's stumbled this season but a new team may be what he needs. Hopefully he helps out the PP.

Kassian... well how often can you get a player of that kind. It's riskier with his type (see Bernier, Pyatt) but it could turn out very well and I believe it will. If he does not make an offensive impact right away it's at least a mean big body that can actually play to boot and still has potential.

We've lost a little bit of skill but we've gained some grit, look at last year's line-up and tell me which one you would prefer, especially when the bottom six is taken into consideration.

Okay.. boards up!

I've read through 30+ pages on the HF boards, TSN.ca article comments and now finally, CDC.

When I heard about this trade I yelled *&*% !!!!! Cody is someone I've invested hundreds of dollars into in hockey cards alone, nevermind the flak I took taking him in numerous pools. I cried about it on my FB waah waah waah...

Out of all I've read and digested, this is what I say... Cody may be suited more for the east, and Kassian for the west. Lets see him suit up, score a goal and throw some heat.... CoHo will get every chance in BUF he wasn't able to get here, for that... because I truly love the guy, I will sleep well tonight. I hope CDC does too!

we just traded away a future naslund (skill, leadership, captain) for a future stojanov (size, short ahl career).

let's hope i am wrong.

we just traded away a future pederson (Smaller sized skill player who can put up points) for a future neely (big guy who can hit, fight and score)

let's hope i am right.

Seriously, how can people judge this deal right now? IMO, this improves our roster for now, we can out skill teams like Detroit and we can now keep up toughness wise with teams like Bruins and how this affect both teams in the future could only be judged in 5-6 years. MG obviously did his scouting homework on Kassian if he was willing to trade Hodgson for him and with all the magic MG has worked in Vancouver, I will believe he made the right decision for this team. If we win the cup this summer, people will forget all about that Cody Hodgson kid (who everyone claimed was a bust last year)

Kassian.... ahahahah.... He has been hidden away in the east coast.... only played 27 NHL games....

Get ready, cause im sure MG expects you to play night in and night out at an NHL level. With camera's in your face asking why your not producing like Hodgson.

Well... We gave up a solid top 9 Center... possibly captain material.... one of the best rookies this year.....

Soooo... Canucks fans.... are going to expect results.... now.

Perform, don't disappoint.

i dunno... if gillis is going all in now to try and win the cup.. honestly i rather just give up a 1st for Gustad instead of giving hogdson for kassian.. Hodgson will be able to help us right away in the playoff vs Kassian who knows if he'll be able to help us.. we lost a chunk of our secondary scoring.. and Hodgson is clutch... i mean if we were going to trade Hodgson away.. shouldn't we have traded him away at the draft instead and package him along with Schneider for an insane return? like i don't understand this trade at all.. if they were going to trade for grit.. i rather lose a late first for gustad keep hodgson for secondary scoring and trade away raymond for a draft pick instead.. i mean honestly come on.. who'd really think raymond will do better than hodgson in the playoff for us? remember last SCF? toughness wasn't the only issue.. the lack of scoring was...

He didn't have to carry the team, but he could have been a big piece to the run.

If the Sedins and Kesler struggle to score, it's gonna look pretty bad that we traded away our 20 goal scoring third line center.

I am getting killed for using Gragnani's playoff numbers, but people are legitimately using Cody's regular season numbers thinking they will just transition to the playoffs, when the game gets much tougher and more physical.

Archived