The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

At 6'1", 185 lbs, you can see Schultz pretty decent size. The sophomore is only 20 years old so you can expect him to put on more weight as he progresses to the AHL. You can add weight, but you can't always add height. Being 6'1" definitely helps his cause.

As a freshman, Schultz had a respectable 22 points in 43 games and he is absolutely tearing up the NCAA this year with 26 points in 22 games, which prorates to 51 points over the course of a 43 game season. That leads all Badger players and most definitely leads all NCAA defensemen. Hell, he's in a 7-way tie for the 5th most points in the NCAA with some company such as Jaden Schwartz and Cam Atkinson. Schultz had a hat trick against Michigan State back on 11/27 and has 7 multi-point games on the year. Gardiner also assisted on all 3 Schultz goals against MI St. It's also interesting to note that both Gardiner and Schultz are forwards-turned-defensemen. You might see some adjustment learning the defense game in players like that, but they're always thinking about how to get the puck in the net. Phenomenal skill-set on Schultz, who has adjusted a little more swiftly than Gardiner.

If you're wondering how the two compared to each other since Gardiner came to college a year earlier, Schultz actually outscored him last season and he's doing it again this year. Many times the players you skate with say a lot about the experience you're gaining and the level you can expect to someday be at. When you see a fellow player make significant strides, you want to do everything you can to follow and you've also seen first hand what that type of skillset looks like. This is what Schultz saw after playing last season with Derek Stepan and a couple kids by the names of Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Smith.

Back in Anaheim, Visnovsky, Lydman, and Fowler are all signed through 2013. Outside of Visnovsky, Fowler and Sbisa are the only 2 current Ducks that the Wisconsin duo will have to fight against for offensive minutes. The reason I overlook Visnovsky is because he is somewhat injury prone and with his age, he could either end up on the IR or traded by the time the Ducks are looking to get Schultz in the lineup. Sbisa has been highly touted ever since he made the Flyers as an 18 year old, but unless he turns some heads by April, he likely won't receive much of a raise. A low salaried contract for him gives even more of an open door to Schultz. With the Ducks in desperate need of some quality defensemen, don't be surprised if Anaheim pushes for Schultz and Gardiner to sign AHL contracts after their NCAA season is over this year. Barring any unforeseen trades or signings, Schultz and Fowler should be the top two Ducks blue line producers in 2-3 years, with Gardiner and Sbisa around to round out the top four.

The way Schultz is playing, you should not be surprised at all if he signs his first pro contract upon conclusion of his NCAA season. He would best be served with one year of AHL hockey and as Van Horne suggested, he could be ready by 2012-13. Van Horne has 10-40-50 as a possible point total for Schultz, but I think it's very possible for Schultz to hit 15 goals or more. I do agree though that in his good years, 50 points is a realistic number (likely not hitting that number until 2014-15 at the earliest). If you're in a league where defenseman goals are worth more, keep an eye out.

The Ducks top prospect Justin Schultz’s season ended yesterday at the University of Wisconsin. He’s said to be considering all options including: “1. Returning to Wisco for his senior season (unlikely IMO). 2. Signing 2 yr entry level deal with ANA and burns 1st yr by playing now…” … “3. Leave school at end of semester, become UFA July 1, sign with NHL team of choice. Hearing no decision is imminent, will take his time.” … “Longer Schultz goes w/o making firm decision would appear to be bad news for ANA. Ducks want this kid in the lineup now. Talented 2nd rder.” … “If Schultz goes to UFA, it would be a major blow to ANA. If he doesn’t sign soon, logical implication is he’s going to UFA.”

Go Canucks Go :canucks: Canucks - 4 Columbus - 2 (Final)

Cheers :canucks:

At 6'1", 185 lbs, you can see Schultz pretty decent size. The sophomore is only 20 years old so you can expect him to put on more weight as he progresses to the AHL. You can add weight, but you can't always add height. Being 6'1" definitely helps his cause.

As a freshman, Schultz had a respectable 22 points in 43 games and he is absolutely tearing up the NCAA this year with 26 points in 22 games, which prorates to 51 points over the course of a 43 game season. That leads all Badger players and most definitely leads all NCAA defensemen. Hell, he's in a 7-way tie for the 5th most points in the NCAA with some company such as Jaden Schwartz and Cam Atkinson. Schultz had a hat trick against Michigan State back on 11/27 and has 7 multi-point games on the year. Gardiner also assisted on all 3 Schultz goals against MI St. It's also interesting to note that both Gardiner and Schultz are forwards-turned-defensemen. You might see some adjustment learning the defense game in players like that, but they're always thinking about how to get the puck in the net. Phenomenal skill-set on Schultz, who has adjusted a little more swiftly than Gardiner.

If you're wondering how the two compared to each other since Gardiner came to college a year earlier, Schultz actually outscored him last season and he's doing it again this year. Many times the players you skate with say a lot about the experience you're gaining and the level you can expect to someday be at. When you see a fellow player make significant strides, you want to do everything you can to follow and you've also seen first hand what that type of skillset looks like. This is what Schultz saw after playing last season with Derek Stepan and a couple kids by the names of Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Smith.

Back in Anaheim, Visnovsky, Lydman, and Fowler are all signed through 2013. Outside of Visnovsky, Fowler and Sbisa are the only 2 current Ducks that the Wisconsin duo will have to fight against for offensive minutes. The reason I overlook Visnovsky is because he is somewhat injury prone and with his age, he could either end up on the IR or traded by the time the Ducks are looking to get Schultz in the lineup. Sbisa has been highly touted ever since he made the Flyers as an 18 year old, but unless he turns some heads by April, he likely won't receive much of a raise. A low salaried contract for him gives even more of an open door to Schultz. With the Ducks in desperate need of some quality defensemen, don't be surprised if Anaheim pushes for Schultz and Gardiner to sign AHL contracts after their NCAA season is over this year. Barring any unforeseen trades or signings, Schultz and Fowler should be the top two Ducks blue line producers in 2-3 years, with Gardiner and Sbisa around to round out the top four.

The way Schultz is playing, you should not be surprised at all if he signs his first pro contract upon conclusion of his NCAA season. He would best be served with one year of AHL hockey and as Van Horne suggested, he could be ready by 2012-13. Van Horne has 10-40-50 as a possible point total for Schultz, but I think it's very possible for Schultz to hit 15 goals or more. I do agree though that in his good years, 50 points is a realistic number (likely not hitting that number until 2014-15 at the earliest). If you're in a league where defenseman goals are worth more, keep an eye out.

The Ducks top prospect Justin Schultz’s season ended yesterday at the University of Wisconsin. He’s said to be considering all options including: “1. Returning to Wisco for his senior season (unlikely IMO). 2. Signing 2 yr entry level deal with ANA and burns 1st yr by playing now…” … “3. Leave school at end of semester, become UFA July 1, sign with NHL team of choice. Hearing no decision is imminent, will take his time.” … “Longer Schultz goes w/o making firm decision would appear to be bad news for ANA. Ducks want this kid in the lineup now. Talented 2nd rder.” … “If Schultz goes to UFA, it would be a major blow to ANA. If he doesn’t sign soon, logical implication is he’s going to UFA.”

Go Canucks Go :canucks: Canucks - 4 Columbus - 2 (Final)

Cheers :canucks:

I want this kid in a Canucks jersey badly. Really hope Gillis can sway him into signing here if he decides to test the open market. Potentially he could play top 4 minutes right away, (Suter Parise other 2 names high on free agency list, but of course being hometown team I think Schultz wouuld be willling to come here. Parise wants a ton of dough, can't see Suter signing here)

A week or so ago, Bob McKenzie said Shultz is likely to go to free agency. Does anyone know which segment I am talking about? Video?

Anywhoo, I'm no expert, but if Shultz wanted $$, he would have left college by now. If he wanted top play top mins in the NHL, he'd sign with the Ducks. It's not like the Ducks are a horrific team, they just don't spend to the cap. Like a lot of players he probably wants a combination of competitive team, $$, and the minutes, possible location close to family (?).

IMO, Canucks have a gaping hole in the top 4 on the right side (Edlers missing partner). Salo's great, but Salos older and can't log top 4 mins. Nucks don't have any good D prospects on the right side (other than Tanev). But Tanev is a great shut down guy, doesn't have offensive flair like I'm assuming Canucks are looking for in a partner for Edler.

Shultz will be doing his homework - and could clearly see there is a spot for him on this team. A competitive team, close to family, spends to the cap and a position for him.

EDIT: Here's the video of Bob McKenzie saying he believes Shultz goes to free agency (@ 3:11): http://watch.tsn.ca/clip642562#clip642562

Bill Sweatt is 23 and spent one year in pro hockey, he's gotten some call ups this year and last year, and all rookies have a chance to crack the roster come pre-season / training camp. That and Schultz is a higher caliber type player and has a better shot than Bill will ever have.

I hate when people rage quit over the typical prospect building process.

Problem with most people in this thread is that they have never seen him play and are going purely on an underwhelming highlight video with amped up music that shows me a kid, yes..a kid who has a skill set that is decent, but by no means overwhelming. I don't see him being in the NHL anytime soon.

The internet has overhyped a lot of players/prospects. Or do you all forget the worst move in Canucks history when we "lost" Fabian Brunnstrom? You all remember him right? The best player not currently in the NHL who was a can't miss prospect and damn the whole organization for not throwing the bank at him? Ring any bells people?

I would be more excited about a 6'3" 235lb defenseman who's highlight package looked more like Scott Stevens than I am over a skinny, puck moving d-man. Sorry, but I guess I'm not on the bandwagon.

Problem with most people in this thread is that they have never seen him play and are going purely on an underwhelming highlight video with amped up music that shows me a kid, yes..a kid who has a skill set that is decent, but by no means overwhelming. I don't see him being in the NHL anytime soon.

The internet has overhyped a lot of players/prospects. Or do you all forget the worst move in Canucks history when we "lost" Fabian Brunnstrom? You all remember him right? The best player not currently in the NHL who was a can't miss prospect and damn the whole organization for not throwing the bank at him? Ring any bells people?

I would be more excited about a 6'3" 235lb defenseman who's highlight package looked more like Scott Stevens than I am over a skinny, puck moving d-man. Sorry, but I guess I'm not on the bandwagon.

Justin Schultz is different in that he is a highly touted draft pick. Most of these situations involve undrafted players who are only now starting to show NHL potential. Schultz was one of Anaheim's best prospects from the start. He simply hasn't signed with them yet.

He's pretty comparable to Gardiner in terms of size and playstyle. However, he has put up bigger numbers and most scouts consider him superior to Gardiner. I wouldn't buy into all the hype, but I think using Gardiner as a starting point for his NHL ability is fair and what people should expect.

We can only go by what we hear.  Not that we are jumping on the Shultz wagon or anything, well some of us are, but the reviews are positive for this guy, and thats the only information we can go by.  Maybe we will be suckered in, just like the Tyler Bozak, situation.  We heard so many good things about him, so hyped up, but he was 24 and to this date, and below average top 6 player.  

Fabbian Brunsstrom situation I agree, his agent over hyped him, thank god Gillis didn't signt his kid, as Mats Naslund said, "I don't think he is good enough to play on any NHL team as a top 6 player. "  Ouch.    But hey, right now he is regarded as one of the best defencemens in college, hes only 21 , and he's a bc boy.   He's 6'2 185 from B.C , signing him will cost us nothing, lets take a shot at him.  We do have a few job openings very soon.  Sami Salo is going to retire, Keith Ballard might not be here for long, I don't think we will Sign Aarom Rome, there you go, potentially 2 spots maybe 3.  Just because we are a top 3 team in the NHL doesn't mean there is no chance for young players to make the team.

Archived