The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

I know he was traded twice.

The thing is, everyone that was saying he will be coming to Vancouver was just CDC. I don't remember any credible source confidently backing Hamhuis will be signing with Vancouver especially after the first trade.

It was like I came on CDC one day, and the board was full of "Hamhuis to Vancouver very likely" thread, but was being debated. I still remember people wishing for him to sign with us and then appending "One can dream, right?" to avoid being flamed.

Wow, Good for Gillis. He's really showing Schultz that they want him by going himself and bringing the coach.

The myth in Vancouver that alot of unknowledgeable fans have latched onto is that AV doesn't give young players a chance or that he ruins prospects. When in fact he gives them tons of opportunities. Just look at how much faith he put in Tanev the last couple playoffs. And contrary to popular belief, he did give Grabner and Hodgson lots of chances. You`re not right in the mix for the calder if you`re not being given opportunities.

Now Schultz can make his own assessment of AV instead of basing it on hearsay.

I don't see Gillis or AV guaranteeing ice-time, that's not their style. What they can guarantee is to develop him the right way, which is with patience. The same way we did with Bieksa, Edler, and Tanev.

Bottom line is he can get all the ice time he wants on other teams, and have all the pressure on him. Or he can join the Canucks and be used sparingly in different situations, and learn different aspects of the game from some of the best D-men in the league, to help him become an all around player.

He sounds like he's a pretty humble guy, so I'm not sure if he would wanna be "the guy", like he would be in Edmonton or Toronto. He can fly under the radar in Vancouver with respects to being relied upon heavily.

Now, this guy I trust...

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Justin Schultz is wrapping up two days of meetings between himself and his agents in Toronto. He has NOT met or talked to any NHL teams yet.

The UFA defenceman and his agents will over the next two days meet in Toronto with a small group of teams he has on his shortlist

Once Schultz hears from interested teams on shortlist, he'll choose one but there's no telling when that may be. Saturday? Maybe later.

I expect the Schultz camp and teams involved to be ultra tight lipped about the process. Cone of silence appears to be down for now.

My best guess is there are no more 5 teams on Schultz's shortlist. VAN (Gillis, Gilman, Vigneault) have been in TOR awaiting word.

I think MG and AV will have to assure him that he will at least be given the chance to start with the team this season. That's what Detroit is offering up. If he is close to as good as everyone thinks, he should be able to stick.

Saying he will be developed in the AHL for a year or two won't sit well when other contendres are willing to take a chance at giving him a starting role with the big club.

Something tells me Mackenzie doesn't have the inside scoop here.

Dan Murphy said that the Canucks met with him today. And he usually doesn't tweet stuff unless he knows what's up. He's got a pretty good connection with the Canucks.

If I was the agent for Schultz, I would tell the media the meetings haven't happened yet so that they're not hounding you for a decision every couple hours.

Archived