The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Inconsistent Play

Patrick Jane

Ahh luo plays below average for 3 games outa 2 months and all dem trolls come back out ::D He could have done better on some of those goals but the D aren't helping whatsoever. It could also help if we scored more goals but a number of canucks have disappeared. As for starting schneider or luongo I say keep luo in and let him figure out his issues.

Luongo needs to find a way to keep the game close, and not out of hand. He's done multiple times, were the other team scores a goal, the takes a lead, then the flood gate opens, and Luongo fails to keep the game a "1 goal game." He's done that far too many times during 2010 and 2011 playoffs. Example, games 3,4,6 and 7. Once Boston scored , they kept on coming. What ever happened to keeping the game close and not out of hand?

Last Saturday against Buffalo 3 quick goals! WTF!!!! How the hell are we suppose to come back? This saturday. They tie it up, then they take the lead, then they score again!! WTF! What happened to great goaltending and keeping the game close. He's done that multiple times this season! He's need to stop doing that , and focus again and not get rattled.

But you guys have to know, that he's not the only struggling right now. Have the Sedins scored at least one goal in that game, it might have alterned the way that whole played. If the Sedins lined genarated 1 goal against the Buffalo Sabres, I personally believe we could have gotten at least 1 point out of that game.

In the end, if your best players are not performing, it is very likely the team will struggle. The twins need to pick it up, or else were doomed when it comes to the playoffs.

Luongo has a bad game blame it on the defense but how about when Cory is left out to dry by himself but he finds a way to make the big saves. So to say that the D didn't have a good game and that resulted in Luongo having a bad game is a joke

Even though he has been inconsistant the last few games, it's pretty tough playing

5 against 9 (incl ZEBRAS), and it seems the opposition scouts have the book on

Daniel and Henrik, and their team just shuts down every possible combination

they try

maybe sometimes, but what then are you suggesting, that every time lu lets in a bad goal and the canucks lose the game its all his fault? equally a joke. and how many big time save does luongo need to make in a season? he makes dozens of highlight reel saves a season which largely get forgotten yet nobody forgets to mention schnieder's big saves? right..

this team is tops in the league for several seasons now and its due largely in part to our star players, Luongo included. hes played consistently well throughout his time with the canucks and is the best goaltender we have ever had, yet the second he lets in a poor goal everyone turns on him.

two important reality check points for everyone:

a) if the defense disappears, 9/10 times the goaltender's gaa will take a hit.. as a soccer goalie for many years, i can tell you that a goalie is only as good as the defense. sure, sometimes the goalie can play superhuman and steal a game, but the odds balance out sooner or later. the problem with cdc is that the moment we are treated to a short stretch of less than impressive goaltending, many of us think the goalie is over the hill or mentally weak or whatever other crap criticism.. all it shows is how spoiled we are to rag on players playing on one of the best teams in the league where we could have a team like the flames or the leafs or even the hawks with their brutal goaltending tandem right now.. how would you losers feel then huh?

B) some of you seem to think solely based on numbers.. schneider is clearly the better goalie looking at the numbers.. well how do lu's numbers work when the defence goes limp, edler is sleepwalking out there, and juice and hammer start giving the puck away? not to mention lu has to win games where he gets ZERO offence? i can tell you from experience, playing a game when you have zero margin for error heaped onto yourself is beyond stressful. schnieder may not allow as many soft goals but he also doesnt have the same workload as our number one, and if I recall correctly, he's had the benefit of games where we've scored more and the d played tighter. put schnieder in goal for the last dozen games and then we'll see how well he does.

some of you clearly dont look at the whole picture, but we're extremely lucky to have lu and schnieds.. both of them deserve our respect and appreciation, not our ridicule and criticism. looking at our roster, our goaltenders together have been the mvps of the season easily.

I cant really find a pattern to lou's play, all i know is i like when hes aggressive, and not passive. And he seems to become passive when he looses confidence. A few months back he was playing much more aggressive and looked great, and now he seems to be falling back into old habits he had fixed.

But sometimes i feel he gets to rattled easily after letting in a bad goal, yet thinking back there were alot of games where he did let in a bad goal and came up big after, quite a few games you would hear how after he let in a bad goal he settled in and played well. Other times after hes rattled it continues and the flood gates open.

Im really not sure how to analyze him. Other then he is a mystery I dont know which lou were going to get. Shutout lou, or 5-6 goals against lou.

Once again I will say it... Its not Luongo or the goalie period its the Team in front SCORING period. This slump looks just like the finals last year where everyone blamed Luongo for the SC loss when in fact it was the dried up scoring. In the new NHL if you cant keep up on the scoring sheet with your opponent you are toast. The real rarity is when Luongo or Schneids STEAL a game when the team isnt scoring.

It is lmost impossible to keep hungry teams off the scoresheet during the final run or in the playoffs so much parity, so if your Top line doesnt keep up or excel you just cant win.

If the Canucks are depending on the goalie to save their butts then we have already lost. Dont hide your head in the sand realize that our top scorers HAVE to start scoring especially when it matters ...

The time to blame Luongo is when we are competetive in the game and he collapses not when he keeps us in the game and no one can put the puck in the other teams net. Too often this year we have not been giving 100% in most games and expect a win from the back end...ridiculous

I think that we have two great goaltenders. We have to figure out how to use them more effectively. Luongo is getting older (a little bit older) and he is a very hard working player on and off the ice. He struggles out of the gate every season as he gets used to the grind. He is not physically up to his standards at the beginning of the season. He struggles around this time of the season, as he has been playing 80% of the games, and the grind is getting to him again. The playoffs get him fired up again, however this is only being mentally fired up, and eventually the intensity is too much for him to handle playing all of these games up to his great standards.

We should be able to find a way to get around this. Especially when we have a guy like Schneider to fill in. I do not think we should ride Luongo all the way to the playoffs and beyond. He will never be as good as he can be that way. Physically and mentally he will not hold up. I would like to see Schneider play 2 out of every 3 games until the playoffs, and let Luongo get re-energized without having to take all of this heat from the media and fans. This will be a benefit to both goalies, and definitely the team. Both goalies will be ready for a long playoff run.

Archived