Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Canucks Most Hated? Not According To Angus Reid / Macleans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#31 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Specially the coiler fans here!

Jeez louise, they talk NON STOP about the Canucks. Diving this, diving that, biter this (the whole team is a bunch of BITERS supposedly) How its 'their year' and will 'destroy' the arrogant diving dirty foul playing Canucks, how they will finally be #1 in this conference and go onto the playoffs (been telling themselves this for YEARS).

They basically bring up everything that the boston, chicago fans do (which is bring up riots and whatnot) Funny thing is, in 2006 there was a 'riot' here (when I was in highschool) and no one talks about that!

Hate edmonton, their fans, their city, I hate everything about them (unfortunately I live here for business purposes)

I feel your pain down here in Calgary bro ! After living here for more than 20 years i have concluded these Albertan's have been seriously brain washed into accepting horrific mediocrity from their teams and the way they play. During the red mile a few years back there were hundreds of arrests after fLAMES games on 17th ave . Whyte ave in EDM was like Beruit FFS ! 400+ arrests in one night ! Do you think they will talk about those incidents ? Albertans have nothing better to do than hate on BC because they live in a frozen waste land of disgruntled Canadians from the rest of Canada .

Edited by vanfan73, 12 April 2012 - 09:30 PM.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#32 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ha! Suck it guy who tweeted "on behalf of the rest of Canada"!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#33 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Ha! Suck it guy who tweeted "on behalf of the rest of Canada"!

Yeah SUCK IT! The Canucks are clearly, as stated by Canadians, CANADA'S TEAM!!!

#34 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

"Who is the most hated team in Canada?"

The correct answer is, the majority of Canadians don't hate any team.
(The minority of Canadians who do hate dislike the Leafs)

To me, it proves that media likes to create its own stories and spread it like wildfire. So much for doing your research and fact checking like professionals.

#35 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Absolutely right!! Cuz we Canadians like our hockey played like Brazilian soccer. Whoops, I just fell down halfway thru writing this post.

#36 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,517 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Ain't Ron MacLean from Alberta? No. West Germany.

Strange that a 'Canadian Icon' technically isn't Canadian. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#37 Bobmcbobson

Bobmcbobson

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I agree that this is way stronger evidence than the media has ever used against Vancouver. I just want to mention though that a lot of people who answered this poll may have been Canucks fans who wanted make a point. Still, I think this is a very good indication that the Canucks are not the most hated team, and that it's all just media bull.

#38 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

i may be missing it, as i often do, but i don't see any mention of how many people were surveyed.

anyone spot this number?
Posted Image

#39 ace_blazer

ace_blazer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Wat? No, this is Vancouver's team.
Posted Image

#40 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Maybe it's Canuck FANS that are the most hated .... This might make more sense.

#41 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

I feel your pain down here in Calgary bro ! After living here for more than 20 years i have concluded these Albertan's have been seriously brain washed into accepting horrific mediocrity from their teams and the way they play. During the red mile a few years back there were hundreds of arrests after fLAMES games on 17th ave . Whyte ave in EDM was like Beruit FFS ! 400+ arrests in one night ! Do you think they will talk about those incidents ? Albertans have nothing better to do than hate on BC because they live in a frozen waste land of disgruntled Canadians from the rest of Canada .

I have some friends who live in Calgary (former Vancouverites) who says Alberta fans hate for the Canucks goes far deeper than the actual team itself. I think its Province,city envy. The fact that we get the most coverage in the West B)

#42 Cpt_scary

Cpt_scary

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

I live in calgary and the anti-canuck sentiment is overwhelming at times. i literally keep a list of people who send me anti canuck tweets, fb messages and texts and am planning on blowing up their facebook pages with pictures of hank lifting the cup whenever it happens. mature i know.... :bigblush:

#43 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

It's writers like Dan Tencer make it sound worst then it actually is. Even I recalled that the Canucks had a lot of support during their playoff run. But who the frack cares. As long as we win, it's all that matters.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#44 chicocanuck

chicocanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

To me, it proves that media likes to create its own stories and spread it like wildfire. So much for doing your research and fact checking like professionals.

This.

I can't stand the soap opera hockey pundits and media types create for the playoffs. Manufactured story lines. Repetitive questions. It's annoying, and clearly, not representative of anything in reality.

The one thing that jumped out at me is how many people in Quebec are cheering for the Bruins. Did I read that right?

EDIT: This is also why Canucks fans shouldn't get their panties in a twist after every anti-Canuck article that gets published. They do it for the pageviews. Just ignore it and don't feed the trolls.

Edited by chicocanuck, 12 April 2012 - 10:26 PM.

Posted Image

"He's so cool and calm he could have played with a cigarette in his mouth". - Kevin Bieksa

#45 Copeland

Copeland

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Interesting.

I do love how no one hates the Jets :lol:
Goalies are the divas of the hockey world.

Enforcer: "Without me, most would agree, the game would devolve into a-nar-chy." (from Score!)

#46 Corleone

Corleone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Nobody hate losers.....
The discipline of the written word punishes both stupidity and dishonesty.
John Steinbeck

#47 Hazard

Hazard

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Interesting.

I do love how no one hates the Jets :lol:

They're a feel good story.

Either that or respondants didn't even know the Jets exist.

#48 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

You have to keep this in context. Outside of a few HNIC broadcasts and the odd TSN broadcast nobody outside of BC/Western Canada can really watch Canuck games. 2 games per season against Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto isn't a whole lot of exposure and it's not like all of Canada watches Canuck games going "boy I hate them, I hope they lose, grrr" when they're not playing their team.

The Leafs, Sens, and Habs all have much bigger rivalries with each other, the Bruins, and the Sabres. At most Leaf fans are bitter with respect to how good the Canucks are compared to the Leafs and even that bitterness is mostly pointed back at the Leafs organization rather than the Canucks. I've been to Leafs-Canucks games and the general atmosphere in the stands isn't "F*** the Canucks", it's disappointment at watching their own team struggle and continuously play so poorly.

I'm from Ontario and the general consensus is pretty much "who cares?". Eastern Hockey fans have much more to worry about than the Canucks. The whole "everyone hates us" and "Eastern bias" arguments are so laughable to me because no Leaf fan really cares about the Canucks when they have such a huge rivalry with the Habs and Sens. And same goes for the Habs and Sens with the Leafs.

The people that repeatedly bring up Toronto's anti-Vancouver attitude obviously haven't been exposed to hockey culture/rivalries in this part of the country. Leaf fans absolutely hate the Sens (battle of Ontario) but nothing comes close to how much animosity Leaf fans and Hab fans have with each other.

With respect to teams/player hatred towards the Canucks most of it can be attributed to the individual players and their antics (Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre) and the rivalries they develop with players on opposing teams (Chicago, Boston, San Jose, Calgary, ect.).

With respect to fans outside of Boston and Chicago (recent heated playoff rivalries), for the most part nobody cares.

In my experience there is far more anti-Toronto sentiment coming from the West and Quebec then there is bitterness/resentment aimed back towards the West and Quebec from Toronto. Again, for the most part nobody in this part of the country really cares. If anything my friends/family who are Leafs fans are proud to have a Canadian team as good and as successful as the Canucks. The only thing I take flack for is the antics of certain players.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 12 April 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#49 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

They're a feel good story.

Either that or respondants didn't even know the Jets exist.

Dude, people in my town were chanting "go jets go" (they might have been from Winnipeg) when the Jets got their team back. It's Canada's sport and I think most Canadian hockey fans want our cities to have their teams back. Obviously that happiness for Winnipeg fades somewhat once the season progresses and teams start playing each other and rivalries develop but I for one am proud that Winnipeg have the Jets back and that seems to be the general sentiment with everyone I talk to.

The same seems to go for Quebec City. I'm going to speculate a little bit but I think Ontario hockey fans would rather have Quebec City get their team back first before they would want another one here. We already have the Leafs and Sens, and there are quite a few Red Wings fans South West of Toronto and Habs fans are everywhere. Quebec and Winnipeg had their teams stolen from them. They deserve them back before Ontario gets their 3rd team. We can support another team but that team would literally be a gift. Sure we would probably like one, but we don't really need one, so we can wait to open it.

Go Jets and Go Nordiques.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 12 April 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#50 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Nobody hate losers.....

Nice theory, in theory, but in reality - the Toronto Maple Leafs.

#51 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Absolutely right!! Cuz we Canadians like our hockey played like Brazilian soccer. Whoops, I just fell down halfway thru writing this post.

I thought there might be a Leafs fan out there that would bite...

#52 Hazard

Hazard

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Dude, people in my town were chanting "go jets go" (they might have been from Winnipeg) when the Jets got their team back. It's Canada's sport and I think most Canadian hockey fans want our cities to have their teams back. Obviously that happiness for Winnipeg fades somewhat once the season progresses and teams start playing each other and rivalries develop but I for one am proud that Winnipeg have the Jets back and that seems to be the general sentiment with everyone I talk to.

The same seems to go for Quebec City. I'm going to speculate a little bit but I think Ontario hockey fans would rather have Quebec City get their team back first before they would want another one here. We already have the Leafs and Sens, and there are quite a few Red Wings fans South West of Toronto and Habs fans are everywhere. Quebec and Winnipeg had their teams stolen from them. They deserve them back before Ontario gets their 3rd team. We can support another team but that team would literally be a gift. Sure we would probably like one, but we don't really need one, so we can wait to open it.

Go Jets and Go Nordiques.

I'm just kidding man. I know it's huge news for all Canadian hockey fans.

#53 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

can't be.

#54 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

People just love to talk about the Canucks. ("Feels good, man" B)) Humans especially love to exaggerate everything & conveniently leave out other things that support their bias. The NHL and fans telling us the Canucks are 100% rotten and hated by everyone is like tabloid magazines constantly telling us Jennifer Aniston is alone, desperate and begging Brad Pitt to come back to her every new issue they release. It sells. 5+ years later it still sells. Who knows how long they will keep trying to sell the same story as long as some people are still intrigued & convinced of it.

Edited by Milk Hot Dog, 12 April 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#55 FanInCalgary

FanInCalgary

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

The hate on the Canucks is very apparent here in Calgary. In our local paper's playoff preview there were plenty of articles bashing the Canucks. I actually kept that issue because i found it so hilarious.

Here are a few quotes from it.

" I'm not going to pretend i like the Canucks. Nobody likes the Canucks. Nobody outside of the sushi dens and granola taverns of Vancouver, anyway.

"Does Lapierre, with his yapping and hacking and never manning up to fight his own battles, represent Canadians, or the way we want hockey played? Gosh, no."

" Would you throw up a little in your mouth if you saw Ryan Kesler handing the Stanley Cup to Maxim Lapierre? Of course you would."

And my favorite of all...
" They whine. They dive. They turtle. They want referees to fight their battles. They are arrogant. They bite people and their fans set fire to police cars."

#56 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

We are hated by a select group of Toronto media. It's obvious, and true.

#57 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Mike Milbury wasn't even a professional as a hockey player forget sports analyst.

#58 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

The hate on the Canucks is very apparent here in Calgary. In our local paper's playoff preview there were plenty of articles bashing the Canucks. I actually kept that issue because i found it so hilarious.

Here are a few quotes from it.

" I'm not going to pretend i like the Canucks. Nobody likes the Canucks. Nobody outside of the sushi dens and granola taverns of Vancouver, anyway.

"Does Lapierre, with his yapping and hacking and never manning up to fight his own battles, represent Canadians, or the way we want hockey played? Gosh, no."

" Would you throw up a little in your mouth if you saw Ryan Kesler handing the Stanley Cup to Maxim Lapierre? Of course you would."

And my favorite of all...
" They whine. They dive. They turtle. They want referees to fight their battles. They are arrogant. They bite people and their fans set fire to police cars."

The media does not represent the people in general. I'm sure if you only went by the flames fans in Calgary most of them would hate the Canucks but like all cities the majority of people living in Calgary are casual fans at best and I doubt they hate the Canucks.

#59 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

Wait... how many non-Habs fans are there in Quebec?

Their favorite team to support of any in the playoffs is the Bruins that puts the whole validity of the survey into question for me.

Every Montrealer I know hates the Bruins.... maybe it is all the Nordiques fans that were phoned, and anyone who smashes a Canadien into the stanchion is good in their books.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#60 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Too bad diving wasn't a category... Kes would have got the Academy Award.

You see a diver when you look at Kes?
Well a lot of other people see a player who is doing whatever it takes to win a cup. I don't care if he takes an occasional dive. As long as he doesn't get a rep.

You should also consider the fact that a TON of penalties would go undetected if players didn't embellish a few of the cheapshots that go on behind the play.

Kind of a silly thing to pin on a player.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.