The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Wrong With Me?

Bodee

Since the first game loss I have had a feeling of tremendous disillusionment tinged with anger. It has not been hard for me to work out where most of it has it's source and many of the team have failed perhaps to live up to last years tremendous form.

I feel as if I have been let down by a close and dear relative, who whilst I knew they had faults and imperfections I never really doubted they would man up until now.

I wonder who's fault this is. Why are they so lacking in grit, backbone and mental strength? How could a group who have been together for so long and during that time experienced the blackest of bad days suddenly disintegrate into gutless chickens and stoop so low over night?

Most people I have found show their real character in adversity and if that is indeed the case we are in deep trouble. It is easy to cope with success and say the right things and revel in some kind of invincibility but when that success is eroded and stripped away over night only the fighters, those who know what real adversity is are able to man up, bond together and find a way to stand firm and keep the faith.

So should I really be surprised that a large section of CDC have turned out to have little or no class, have turned on this team so easily, have found reverse gear and fled the scene? It seems that the team we idolised and thought the world of a month ago is crap now, wholesale changes need to be made, players who decorate our bedroom walls are failures and only fit to be trade bait.

Now here's my dilemma, I don't feel like that, I don't think any less of this team now or it's players and coach than I thought last year or the year before. Of course I accept that some players will move on and we will strive for constant improvement but I regard every player who wears the jersey worthy of my support more so now than ever and I refuse to turn on any of them while they are out there on the ice trying their best to win...............................WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

PS

If you recognise yourself above just leave the usual brain dead one liner and I'll try to get back to you.

Nothing is wrong with you.

Besides overthinking everything perhaps. :)

We've lost 3 very close games in a row to an energitic, young team with a goalie who won't crack.

There's always gonna be thousands of Canucks fans out there who will turn on the team at the drop of a hat. No worries... they gotta do what they gotta do.

Since the first game loss I have had a feeling of tremendous disillusionment tinged with anger. It has not been hard for me to work out where most of it has it's source and many of the team have failed perhaps to live up to last years tremendous form.

I feel as if I have been let down by a close and dear relative, who whilst I knew they had faults and imperfections I never really doubted they would man up until now.

I wonder who's fault this is. Why are they so lacking in grit, backbone and mental strength? How could a group who have been together for so long and during that time experienced the blackest of bad days suddenly disintegrate into gutless chickens and stoop so low over night?

Most people I have found show their real character in adversity and if that is indeed the case we are in deep trouble. It is easy to cope with success and say the right things and revel in some kind of invincibility but when that success is eroded and stripped away over night only the fighters, those who know what real adversity is are able to man up, bond together and find a way to stand firm and keep the faith.

So should I really be surprised that a large section of CDC have turned out to have little or no class, have turned on this team so easily, have found reverse gear and fled the scene? It seems that the team we idolised and thought the world of a month ago is crap now, wholesale changes need to be made, players who decorate our bedroom walls are failures and only fit to be trade bait.

Now here's my dilemma, I don't feel like that, I don't think any less of this team now or it's players and coach than I thought last year or the year before. Of course I accept that some players will move on and we will strive for constant improvement but I regard every player who wears the jersey worthy of my support more so now than ever and I refuse to turn on any of them while they are out there on the ice trying their best to win...............................WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

PS

If you recognise yourself above just leave the usual brain dead one liner and I'll try to get back to you.

I too feel let down, Bodee.

However, unlike so many I haven't "turned" on my team. I understand that winning in the NHL is a difficult thing to do and I understand that teams and players occasionally go through slumps. If I could give the reason for it, or a way to fix the problem, I'd likely be rich like Tony Robbins.

I wish the team was doing better, but I believe they're giving it their all. Things just aren't going their way right now.

Hopefully, that changes tonight.

I haven't necessarily "turned" on the team, but i have stated the facts. The facts are that this team is not good enough, hasn't displayed enough heart, hasn't done any of the little things right, has not responded well to adversity and has not given a good accounting of themselves in the first three games. This team will be knocked out in the first round and will only have themselves to blame... Its over..... :angry:

I haven't felt connected with this team at all this year.

This is the first time in my history as a Canucks fan that I was skipping games during the regular season. I guess it has to do with the team hardly (twice) showing up for 60 minutes. When they return to showing an effort night in and night out I suppose I'll be back to being a rabid vocal fan.

Until then I'm just indifferent. If they do not care why should I?

I'm behaving the same way as you man...

It's just so heart breaking, losing to a team in the first round, and getting swepped. It makes me wanna puke and shoot everyone sometimes :)

But deep down I have someone telling me, listen, this thing ain't over till we lose four, and right now we've only lost 3.

Go Canucks Go! Here's to hopeful thinking.

i look at things from a different view.....this team, from top to bottom, wants to win the stanley cup....when we're feeling down about a loss, they are too...they don't want to let their fan base and their team mates down...are they trying to right the ship? is the coach trying different combinations, looking for goal production? has gillis tried to get the talent and the depth on this team to compete for the cup every year? if i was allowed in their dressing room, would i be telling them that they are done and i don't care about them anymore, or would i be encouraging them dig deep and give it their best shot? would i tell them that i'm going to root for philly or boston, because they don't deserve me as a fan or am i going to say, i'm here guys...staying strong, never giving up hope in them...? i know that, i will never lose respect for these guys, they are out there every game trying to win....trying to win for their fans and team mates...try looking at where they are through their eyes.....put yourself in their skates.

I felt pretty similar after game 3 and then it kinda hit me. This is just a game. The best game in the world yeah, but when it is all said and done it will really add nothing to my life, but some cool memories. Or in the case of this Playoff series, pretty crappy ones. I have neglected my wife and daughter for nights on end and told them to shut up so I could hear what Shorty was saying that in NO way had an impact on my life. I realized that in a weird way our success made me gravitate more towards this team, but our recent struggles kinda put things into perspective for me (No bandwagon, been with this team since 92). This team will win or lose and continue on whether I watch them or not. I have bragged to many that I have not missed a game in over 4 years and that is true. Meanwhile I have a 6 year old princess that loves this team only because I love them, yet I have lost so much time with her. I am not trying to be a downer because I LOVE this team, but for whatever reason I woke up Sunday feeling OK about everything. Normally it would ruin my day and I would be rude with my wife, but since then I am hopeful we will come back and just happy to watch some hockey. So yes, I will watch with some friends tonight and we will cheer as usual. And if we win, I will be super stoked. If not? It will suck, but my life will go on. And so too will those of the players. Because it is just a game. And as you hear the players say all the time, some things are more important.

I think I know what's wrong with you, but first I need to know how long you have been a Canucks fan? haha. If you are a newer Fan, then, perhaps you have not been disappointed as often as us long time fans. But it is worse this year than it ever has for us Canuck fans. I can't speak for every one, but as for myself last year was a Huge disappointment. I had lost my father to cancer and watching and talking...basically bonding over Canuck hockey is one of those things you'll remember for the rest of your life. I was hoping the Canucks would win it all for my father last year, but that did not happen. And now it comes down to this year...we basically have the same team as last year with a few new people in the line-up..and you got to thinking...hey...maybe this year is the year. Well...we're down 3-0 and the fans are probably more frustrated than the players are, cuz we also know that this series could have gone the other way and the fans expect no less than perfection.

Well..the point is, that it's not about missing that key element to bring us over the top any more. I believe that this core group has been together long enough...and has not given the fans the results they want. The team has reached it's limit, So now things have got to change...in fact...with the huge disappointment of last year, I would go so far and say that this teams needs a rebuild as the excitement just isn't there for this team anymore. The fans just have had enough disappointment. We spent too much money on this team as it is. Being the presidents trophy winner twice in a row and producing a selke winner and art ross winner and coach of the year..just isn't good enough anymore. WE WANT THE CUP!!! nothing else will do.

So now, hopefully you will understand why most fans are not supporting the team right now. Next year, I'm sure they will be back, unless the team stays the same..then....who knows.

I don't know whats wrong with you, but I've become indifferent due to the indifference of our coach and players. They seem to be okay with losing, with Danny being assaulted and Hank being run over. Its as though the Canucks have found their place and are content being one of the NHLs softest teams, relying on the refs to balance the scales.

And now with odds against us and an unsurmountable mountain to climb, will the Canucks fight back? All signs point to no.

A lot of fans have resigned to the fact this series is most likely over. Most of us want to believe it isn't but the Canucks haven't done much to prove otherwise.

I hope tonight is different. Good luck Canucks.

Archived