The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

Guest AriGold

I am impressed with how well Matt Cooke has cleaned up his act, but I have absolutely no hope that Torres will follow suit. Raffi has been head hunting for years, and IMO, he got what he deserved. You just can't continue to hit guys in the head and get away with it. The guy just doesn't get it, I knew that lasst year when he got 4 games for the hit on Eberhle and then went after Seabrook on his first game back.

I hope Shanahan told Raffi that if he ever has to come see him again, his career in the NHL is over.

This is the exact thing that the league is trying to take out of the game. Granted, they have droopped the ball on many calls this post season (starting with the Weber non suspension), but after that hit on Hossa, it seems like the players are finally starting to get it. Things have calmed down considerably and most teams realize that there is no place for this, especially this time of year. There is just too much at stake.

A tad excessive, don't you think? Not even Cooke got that much. He had 10 in the playoffs and 7 in the regular season for an elbow (clearly intent to injure). How the hell does Keith just get off with a mere fraction for a hit that can be described as definite intent to injure/take someone's head off? Shanahan has really lost it this year. First with Weber, now this.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The NHL continues to fail to provide any balance or consistency.

Sure, Raffi's got a bit of a history but it's just how he plays the game - with reckless abandon and enthusiasm. It's usually not targeted at anyone in retaliation or isolating a particular player in order to injure them. He flies around there, hitting everything in sight (hard). I love his game.

This has missed the mark completely as Chicago wins another battle of the NHL brass. So Keith takes out Daniel in response to an earlier hit - lines him up in his sites and takes him out for the start of the playoffs and gets a slap on the wrist, but Raffi can sign up for a bowling league for awhile? What a joke.

Guess Bettman and the Bozos are issuing another free pass for entry into the Stanley Cup for some teams. If you wear a certain jersey, you get special treatment. Seen it all before - getting worse, not better.

^ Just because Hossa was released from the hospital doesn't mean he's not hurt. I don't know what's happening with his injury right now, but last I heard he's not likely to play another game this year. Still agree that this is an overreaction on the NHL's part.

That's pretty bad, Keith deserved a suspension like this but he got 5 games, Keith hit on Sedin was way worse than what Torres did, what a joke.

that was a load of BS.

1. Torres did not leave his feet he had one foot on the ice and did not jump at all

2. He did not target the head at all. it was a shoulder to the chest

Shanahan is just using torres as an example only because he is a repeat offender

A tad excessive, don't you think? Not even Cooke got that much. He had 10 in the playoffs and 7 in the regular season for an elbow (clearly intent to injure). How the hell does Keith just get off with a mere fraction for a hit that can be described as definite intent to injure/take someone's head off? Shanahan has really lost it this year. First with Weber, now this.

One of the things that this suspension will do is let the fringe players know that cheap shots will prevent you from working. Imagine if Steve Moore got this kind of suspension - Bertuzzi incident doesn't happen, Moore basically plays himself out of the league anyways instead of a lingering lawsuit. No need for bounties/retribution, etc.

While I think it is too lengthy for what he did, I hope it's a start for players respecting the careers of their peers.

ridiculous!!! even 10 playoff games would be too long in comparison to most of the other recent suspension. They made an example out of Torres and I doubt they will continue to do that for other players. I doubt the next time Chara drive someone's head into the stanchion he will get even a 1 game suspension. This league is a freaking joke.

Archived