• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

POPULAR

This was posted by Nick Kypreos on his twtter account 23 minutes ago:

http://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/status/195476673049788416

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper
#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

I suppose this ends all speculation about trading Schneider. The only option for them now is to move Roberto.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 05:03 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#2 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

I hope this isn't true.

It seems like Lu loves it in Van with the teammates we have.

I wonder if the stress is just to much.

Edited by Kent.S, 26 April 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#3 canucksgyal

canucksgyal

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

WOW I did not see this coming if this happens to be true.

#4 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

LU does need a change.You knew he would after not playing the last two games.
Look how hard it has been for him to share the net this and last year.
I"m sure all the LU supporters will be losing it.

#5 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,866 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

POPULAR

Aww boy this isn't good. The Canucks need Luongo, we can't just rest our entire season's hopes on a kid who has started 56 games over 4 seasons. Who knows how Schneider will do with 60+ games, he could easily crack under the pressure of a full-time position. And then there's the problem of finding a backup capable of playing 20-30 games...

Trading Schneider would have been the easier option, and we'd get more in return as well.

If MG traded Hodgson because he wanted out, he won't find it hard to move Luongo either. I just hope the 3 stupid nothing-games at the end of our playoffs didn't make Luongo decide this, because we had no chance of coming back from a 3-0 hole anyway.
Posted Image

#6 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

POPULAR

LU does need a change.You knew he would after not playing the last two games.
Look how hard it has been for him to share the net this and last year.
I"m sure all the LU supporters will be losing it.

In my opinion, Roberto felt his position as this team's undisputed starter was jeopardized this year, and the result is a very quick, reactionary decision by him to leave the city. Based on reports that one of his top four choices is Toronto, I feel his priority is to play for a team where he will be the guaranteed starter. I believe this is all happening because he is uncomfortable with another goaltender challenging him for the starting position.

Three playoff games on the bench seemed enough for Roberto to decide he doesn't fit anymore. It's a surprise to anyone who believed Roberto would want to stay through thick and thin, considering how successful this team has been.

Roberto wants more ice time. I think we've heard that story before. This time, he's the one calling the shots, though.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 05:26 AM.

#7 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'd like to hear this from a reliable source before believing this. Lu is a class act and thinks about the team first ... I doubt he would ask to just throw it away.

#8 Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

Its pretty clear that he isn't wanted here, so this doesn't surprise me.

#9 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

POPULAR

Good news, this makes things easier. I hope he gets to move to Florida, or where ever makes him happy. I'll be an honourary fan of the team he goes to, with a couple exceptions.

#10 Bob Loungo

Bob Loungo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

POPULAR

Look at it this way. If the Canucks traded Schneider who is a young, up and coming elite goal tender, the fans would be on Lou's back every minute of the day, and probably unfairly as well. It is just better for the organization in the long term and for Lou himself to do a trade.

Lou knows that Schneider is just too good a goalie who is going to be in his prime soon and that the organization wants to move forward with Cory. That is classy of Lou to acknowledge this and instead get the ball rolling.

#11 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

I'd like to hear this from a reliable source before believing this. Lu is a class act and thinks about the team first ... I doubt he would ask to just throw it away.

TEAM 1040 may discuss it at 6 AM today. The majority of the Vancouver media is likely just waking up at the moment; the Eastern media is awake. Nick Kypreos is a pretty reliable source for this sort of information. He is Sportsnet's primary source for many of their reports.

We'll see who else reports this within the next few hours.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 05:35 AM.

#12 shattenkirk8

shattenkirk8

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

the way i see it. Yes we lose a great goalie, but Gillis is gonna get us a great return. We're gonna keep our strength in net with Schneider, but our offense/defense or both is gonna improve drastically. This could be the move that will put us over the top.
My ideal trade:
Luongo
Raymond
for
Hedman
Purcell

Posted Image

#13 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

POPULAR

As expected. Not sure why so many people are surprised by this. I guess the fact that Bobby Lou requested the trade before Gillis had to ask him--assuming that's how it went down. But if you were in Luongo's size 15 shoes, wouldn't you do the same thing? The guy's 33, has lots of hockey left in him, and has enough pride that he wants to play.

And the thing is, Luongo earned his stripes in Florida, where he faced 40 shots a night. And in Van, he has always excelled when facing lots of shots. The problem, IMO, is that he wasn't terrific at coming up with clutch saves when Vancouver was dominating the game and he had to wait 10 minutes between shots. But that's what Schneider knows. And he doesn't seem to ever get rattled.

Good luck, Bobby Lou! I bet he has a terrific season in Toronto or Tampa or Florida or wherever he ends up, cause he'll face a lot of shots and that suits him just fine.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#14 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

POPULAR

Hmmm, hopefully if this is true it doesn't affect the return we'd get on moving him. GM's will definately use the fact that "he wants out" as an excuse to lower the value on a premier starting goalie.

#15 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

POPULAR

In a number of his interviews this season he said he plays for his team, his family, and himself. The big missing piece there is obviously the fans. He really just seemed to try to tune us, and the media, out.

With that said, I think fault is shared equally amongst fans and himself. He's really had a lot of questionable comments / performances at times which clearly worked against us. Alternatively, fans got increasingly critical of him over time even for the smallest things.

All in all, a change of scenery is good for him and us.

#16 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

the way i see it. Yes we lose a great goalie, but Gillis is gonna get us a great return. We're gonna keep our strength in net with Schneider, but our offense/defense or both is gonna improve drastically. This could be the move that will put us over the top.
My ideal trade:
Luongo
Raymond
for
Hedman
Purcell

I don't think the Canucks would get a good deal to begin with, now that it's out that he's asked for a trade they'll get even less. Luongo for Hedman straight up would never happen, and throwing in an RFA that no one wants won't get you a 65 point player on top of it.

#17 canucks 21

canucks 21

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I doubt he will be the only goalie available I expect Thomas to be moved last years Stanley cup finals goalies on the trading block this summer LOL

#18 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

As expected. Not sure why so many people are surprised by this. I guess the fact that Bobby Lou requested the trade before Gillis had to ask him--assuming that's how it went down. But if you were in Luongo's size 15 shoes, wouldn't you do the same thing? The guy's 33, has lots of hockey left in him, and has enough pride that he wants to play.

And the thing is, Luongo earned his stripes in Florida, where he faced 40 shots a night. And in Van, he has always excelled when facing lots of shots. The problem, IMO, is that he wasn't terrific at coming up with clutch saves when Vancouver was dominating the game and he had to wait 10 minutes between shots. But that's what Schneider knows. And he doesn't seem to ever get rattled.

Good luck, Bobby Lou! I bet he has a terrific season in Toronto or Tampa or Florida or wherever he ends up, cause he'll face a lot of shots and that suits him just fine.

LIke how we dominated the Kings?
Like how we dominated the Bruins last year?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#19 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

True or not, it's probably Nick Kypreos' way of giving another big F-U to the Canucks by stirring up the pot and lowering his trade value. Oh Kypreos, you are a piece of work you are.
Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#20 tricarboxylic

tricarboxylic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

POPULAR

I don't care, if Luongo voluntarily asked to be traded out of Vancouver. I can feel the stress he has been having from the Vancouver fans, and perhaps, other NHL fans. If he moves to another team, I'll cheer for the team he joins. This is my way of respecting Luongo until the end.

#21 Chris_P

Chris_P

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

It's not only Kyprios, Dan Murphy, James Duthie, and Darren Dreger said it too. It's been all over the Toronto sports radio this morning.

The same dinks who've done nothing but throw bombs at Luongo and the Canucks over the last 3 or 4 years, are now talking about how Luongo will solve all the Leafs goaltender problems, Toronto sports radio makes me want to puke. Except Tim and Sid.

#22 tricarboxylic

tricarboxylic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

If what you're saying is true, that's a disappointment from the SN reporters.

#23 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

POPULAR

Toronto? You think the media and fans are bad here? Good luck in T.O. He would be way better off in Tampa or Florida or Dallas. I think a move would help him. He obviously didnt like it here that much if all it took was this to make him ask for trade. Just think if he goes to Maple Leafs he wont have to worry about ever having a bad playoff or any playoff at all.

#24 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

It's not only Kyprios, Dan Murphy, James Duthie, and Darren Dreger said it too. It's been all over the Toronto sports radio this morning.

The same dinks who've done nothing but throw bombs at Luongo and the Canucks over the last 3 or 4 years, are now talking about how Luongo will solve all the Leafs goaltender problems, Toronto sports radio makes me want to puke. Except Tim and Sid.

The difference between what was reported last night and what is being reported this morning is that Roberto has now apparently asked for a trade. Last night, we were told he was submitting a list of teams he would be willing to be traded to in the instance the team wanted to make a trade. The impression was that the team was going to decide Roberto's fate.

This is the first time we've heard that Roberto himself has requested a trade; it's different in the sense that he's now forcing Mike Gillis' hand.

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#25 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

If true, which moron let this out? Totally lowers the possible return that we could get for Luongo.

#26 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Kind of expected, by going with Schneider they basically said : He's our guy now. Otherwise after the loss of game 3 they would have come back with Lou

If Lou was our real #1, they would have gone with him all the way : live or die with Lou, but that didnt happen

#27 shattenkirk8

shattenkirk8

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Schenn
Gustavsson
for
Luongo

Posted Image

#28 Ryanstorm

Ryanstorm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

POPULAR

I'd like to personally 'thank' the as$h0l3s that ruined Luongo's career in Vancouver by treating an elite goalie like trash. Now there goes our face of the team.

Posted Image

#29 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Im sorry, but this is a sour move by Luongo. People crap on Hodgson for requesting a trade, but at least he did it behind closed doors. I was impressed by the Luongo interview with him telling the media that he would do what ever is best for the team, but now his true colors are showing. I don't blame Lu for wanting to leave, but "whats best for the team" would have be to keep your mouth shut. Mike Gillis' bargaining power just took a huge hit. Now everyone knows there MUST be a trade.

#30 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

WOW I did not see this coming if this happens to be true.

Really? You didn't see this coming? This is not surprising at all. Luongo is continually replaced in net whenever there is a problem of any kind on the club. Mini-losing streak? Coach puts in CS. Losing in playoffs but not the goalie's fault as the coach said? Coach puts in CS. Fans and media alike are clamoring for CS to take the #1 spot. Would you feel wanted? Getting blamed for everything that goes wrong in Vancouver is not something I would want on my shoulders. Now the hard part - try to find someone to take that contract. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.