The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

MG should ask Roberto why Montreal is not on Roberto's short list. I think Roberto wants to be the hero and not take the responsibility. Would Montreal not be a great fit for him, He has family there, he is from there, it is a good hockey market, oops too much pressure you think our fans want blood!. Toronto at least you can coast for decades and the fans don't seem to mind. Of course this is all speculation until we see the short list. And then again this could just be another Brian Burke nut job ploy. The bottom line is anybody that would request a trade to Toronto is not a player I would want on my team! It simply means they want the spotlight with little pressure

He'll be better if he plays on a bad defensive team?

5 years in Florida: averaged 40.3 shots per game, 919.6 SV% and 2.66 GAA

6 years in Vancvr: averaged 28.4 shots per game, 919.6 SV% and 2.35 GAA

His numbers indicate one thing:

No matter what style the team in front of him plays (offensive or defensive in nature), his play is the same.

Please note his save percentage in Florida and Vancouver ARE IDENTICAL and his GAA was only very marginally better after he came here.

I can remember when he came here and all the hype surrounding us FINALLY getting an "elite" goaltender. I was stoked!!

The problem was, he had not proven himself as an "elite" goaltender in Florida. The ASSUMPTION was made, based on his athletic ability, that if he were to go to a better team, that ability would shine through and propel him into the stratosphere of NHL goaltending history.

As evidenced by his numbers since, that did not happen, but there are still countless thousands of "fans" which still cling to the illusion that was fostered by the media over a decade ago.

The illusion that a goalie with a career NHL 2.52 GAA, .919 SV% and who's only won 46% of the 727 games he's played is somehow "elite", nevermind worth close to $100 Million Dollars

I'm being critical but some of you need to see it. He is a good goalie, but unfortunately the term "over rated" definitely applies here.

Having said all that, it's bee a fun ride the last 6 years. We still don't have a cup though, and it's time to make some changes before this core is too old.

Schneider should get the job. He's earned the opportunity.

edit: you can do the math here yourself if you don't believe me: http://www.hockey-re.../luongro01.html

"People of Vancouver chasing him out"?. Please stop posting this nonsense. I admire your devotion and love for Luongo but to blame the people of Vancouver for this is just plain stupid. There is nothing that irks me more than posts like these. Luongo wants out because of Cory's emergence as a star goalie. Little to do with fans. Yes I will be sad when he leaves but we can expect our players to be here forever.

1. People need to radically lower their expectiations for returns. Lu is an elite goalie but his contract greatly reduces his value. Maybe Gillis can swindle someone but I don't expect much. Malone, I think, is the best we could do, if that.

2. Fans may have made him a little more ready to leave. However, if the fans/media were the problem he wouldn't be willing to go to TO.

This is bad. Now that it's out that Luongo wants to be traded before next season, we lose alot of trading power. The other teams have the upper hand here.

also, it makes Vancouver look like a bad place to sign. This can't help convince FA's to want to sign here..thinking the fans are going to run out of town.

Just very emotional times for Luongo fans, but as a Canucks fan, im excited of what we could get for Luongo. Even at the age of 33, he's still considered an elite goaltender by alot of GMs and could get us a nice 'piece to the puzzle' player(s) in return.

Our situation reminds me of Andrew Luck and Payton Manning, one guy is a proven vet whose done alot to the franchise, but his best before date has expired and its time to make way for the new emerging star goaltender.

Archived