The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pa Parenteau, Jiri Hudler? Younger? More Size Needed?

Herberts Vasiljevs

There's been a lot of talk in the last week about what changes need to be made here in Vancouver coming into next years season, with an even longer time to recover from injuries, fatigue, etc. compared to last year. As of this week, AV has been the prime target for Vancouver Canuck fans. People want him out of here, because people don't think he juggles the lines a lot (which is true), therefore no one has time to develop chemistry; also that he doesn't give the younger players (etc. Kassian, Schroeder) a lot of ice time. No..... NO! That wasn't our reason for our early exit this season. We lost because of our inability to find depth scoring in our lineup. AV decided to go with a beast 3rd line so he split the 'AMEX' line. That being said, our 2nd line consisted of all "shoot-first" players like Kesler, Raymond and Booth.

Gillis has mentioned in his press-conference on Tuesday that he wants to get bigger and younger. Yes! We've seen it now. Teams now destined to win the cup like Nashville (my pick), NYR and St.Louis have big centers throughout the lineup (Gaustad, B.Boyle, Arnott). One thing we definately need to add to our lineup next year is more size. Kassian is a young still developing Power Forward who's at the same stage of development as Hodgson was last year. Expect him to break out next year! Apparently, when we aquired Kassian he was 1 of 6 players on Gillis' radar (hoping Brandon Sutter is one of them). Getting bigger and younger will be vital, now with the Sedins and Burrows already in their thirties.

One thing though I haven't seen brought up lately on this board is acquiring a playmaker. Back to my point about all of our "shoot-first" players, one of our needs is a player who passes first. One of the quiet surprises coming out of the NYI organization is the late emergence of Parenteau, and he's a UFA coming up this off-season. Also, another pass first player, Jiri Hudler is a free-agent this summer. These are just two guys I brought up, but a playmaker is just one of our other needs. According to capgeek.com, if we were to let all of our UFAs go (Salo, Pahlsson, Rome, Bitz, Ebbett, Raymond (RFA), etc.) we'd have over 9 mil in cap space. Plus, if Luongo just happens to be the odd goalie out, we'd have over 14 mil in cap space. I see one of Gillis' targeted prospects coming into this organization if Gillis decides to move Luongo this off-season, but could it be there's a possibility we bring in a playmaker into this lineup for players on the second line like Kesler and Booth to feed off of?

If we bring in some size and a playmaker I could see a forward lineup looking like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Parenteau

Higgins-Gaustad-Hansen

Malhotra-Lapierre-(Weise, Prust, Kostopolous, Konopka)

This is all my opinion folks. I can see us getting a Victor Hedman from the TBL or an up-and-comer like Jake Gardiner from TOR around the draft our in the off-season.

Thoughts and opinions please. Cheers.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Parenteau is a risky move, he formed chemistry on islanders top line and John Tavares in the kind of player that can play with anyone and make them look better, kesler needs a crash and bang line to cough pucks up, expect kassian to be formed into that player, if not we might see a trade for another big young winger go down, only players I liked that you mentioned is gaustad and konopka,

Tyler Ennis (RFA) - Kesler - Higgins (speedy, offensive play maker with grit and, decent shot, plus determination to drive the net)

Burrows - Jarret Stoll (UFA) - Hansen

Edler - Brad Stuart/ Ryan Suter (one of these UFA's)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the plan is to build from inside the organization,

Higgins - Kes - Schroeder

Burrows - (young offensive 3rd line center from trading a goaluie) - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Connauton/ Gragnani/ Ballard - Brookbank

(UFA; really dependable, tough 3rd pair defenseman with decent mobility, had 14 points and was +11)

or in REALLY extreme situations where no one gets signed, likely promote Yann Sauve to be the dependable, shutdown guy which hopefully he can become (starting on 3rd pairing with Tanev up)

i like the idea of parenteau on the second line, but i have a good feeling kes will bounce back next season and kassian will come up big. parenteau was playing with john tavares so i dont know how good he will be on another team. its a risk but as long as he doesnt as for crazy money i wouldnt mind it. i also expect kassian will come up big next year, so dont be surpised to see booth, higgins, burrows and kassian moving up and down the line up like crazy

I could be wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere that Parenteau really wanted to stay with the Islanders. Personally, I was hoping Gillis would be able to acquire Paul Gaustad at the deadline, but he will be an UFA on July 1st so maybe there is hope. He'd be a great third line centre.

Can we please stop talking about trying to become f'ing boston!? We already tried to become a bigger team by getting Kassian and how well did that work out...stick to what made us successful force us to become something we are not and watch us follow in Calgary's foot steps (outside looking in for years).

Parenteau is listed at 6'0", 193 lbs - so much for "size". A very late bloomer, and more than likely another case of someone able to appear to be a star on a team so far under the radar and with a dearth of talent. On a better team with expectations of actually doing something other than collecting a paycheque? Not as likely...hello, Keith Ballard, David Booth, etc, for examples.

Can we please stop talking about trying to become f'ing boston!? We already tried to become a bigger team by getting Kassian and how well did that work out...stick to what made us successful force us to become something we are not and watch us follow in Calgary's foot steps (outside looking in for years).

Archived