Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Metaphorical Balls

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

1st topic wooo!!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment and talk about Mike Gillis and the lack of ballsy moves hes made (Sundin doesn't count). I think he is has been the best gm in Canucks history but I've only been watching hockey for about 7-8 years. The way I see it though is that Gillis has not put his own personal stamp on this team. I mean yes he has been able to sign players that make the team better but they are all complementary players that can be replaced by someone else. I hope he realizes he can not just maintain the team he inherited but actually needs to make it a Stanley Cup champion.

This brings me to my main point in that this off-season we will truly see what he is made of. There are players available, such as Rick Nash and possibly Zach Parise, that are complete game-changers. However, it is up to Gillis to make that push and make some true sacrifices to put the best line-up on the ice or simply go the safe route and keep trying to win with the current core of players.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of blaming injuries and reffing on the losses rather than just admitting that the team is not good enough. Yes it has been two years in row of winning the president's trophy but does that really represent how good this team is? We play in what is argued to be the worst division in the NHL.

My question is do you believe the Canucks need something BIG to happen this off-season or just some small changes to win the Stanley Cup?

#2 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

1st topic wooo!!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment and talk about Mike Gillis and the lack of ballsy moves hes made (Sundin doesn't count).

Why doesn't the Sundin move count?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#3 Sandro17

Sandro17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

1st topic wooo!!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment and talk about Mike Gillis and the lack of ballsy moves hes made (Sundin doesn't count). I think he is has been the best gm in Canucks history but I've only been watching hockey for about 7-8 years. The way I see it though is that Gillis has not put his own personal stamp on this team. I mean yes he has been able to sign players that make the team better but they are all complementary players that can be replaced by someone else. I hope he realizes he can not just maintain the team he inherited but actually needs to make it a Stanley Cup champion.

This brings me to my main point in that this off-season we will truly see what he is made of. There are players available, such as Rick Nash and possibly Zach Parise, that are complete game-changers. However, it is up to Gillis to make that push and make some true sacrifices to put the best line-up on the ice or simply go the safe route and keep trying to win with the current core of players.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of blaming injuries and reffing on the losses rather than just admitting that the team is not good enough. Yes it has been two years in row of winning the president's trophy but does that really represent how good this team is? We play in what is argued to be the worst division in the NHL.

My question is do you believe the Canucks need something BIG to happen this off-season or just some small changes to win the Stanley Cup?

I think we do not NEED a big change to win the cup, we can win it with the roster we have right now assuming they play better this year.

Although to increase our chances of winning the cup significantly, I would say that a big change would be ideal.

Signing Parise is just a start. IMO the best move MG can make this year is if he were to grab the 4th/3rd/2nd overall pick this year and draft Ryan Murray or more preferably snag Adam Larsson.

The one piece that this team is missing that would really put this team over the top is a an all-star defensive defenseman (We already have an all-star offensive defenseman in Edler)

#4 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Well in about a month or two we will be traind our 100 million dollar goalie.

Is that ballsy enough?

Trolling Luongo fans aside. I don't think we need to shake the core. Edler, Bieksa, and Kesler won't have a 2nd bad year. they're resting up and stewing over such embarrassing defeat.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#5 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Why doesn't the Sundin move count?

because he only played half a season

#6 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I think we do not NEED a big change to win the cup, we can win it with the roster we have right now assuming they play better this year.

Although to increase our chances of winning the cup significantly, I would say that a big change would be ideal.

Signing Parise is just a start. IMO the best move MG can make this year is if he were to grab the 4th/3rd/2nd overall pick this year and draft Ryan Murray or more preferably snag Adam Larsson.

The one piece that this team is missing that would really put this team over the top is a an all-star defensive defenseman (We already have an all-star offensive defenseman in Edler)

the problem with this is that this won''t really help us win the cup next year and I think our defense is pretty solid especially if Ballard plays like he did in the playoffs.

#7 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

because he only played half a season

That doesn't take away the fact that it was a "balsy" move though.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#8 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Give your head a shake.

Gillis hasn't made a ballsy move since Sundin. Even that didn't take much testicular fortitude because it was only a 1 year signing, not a trade.

It takes some grape fruits to trade big contract players and shake things up, Gillis hasn't done this yet.

Edited by NoSpeakaEnglesh, 29 April 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#9 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I dunno...
There are 7-8 teams that are good enough to win the Cup, any given year.
It all comes down to luck, much as I hate to say it.
If we had a few bounces, and Daniel in the lineup, you wouldn't be making this thread.

#10 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

I dunno...
If we had a few bounces, and Daniel in the lineup, you wouldn't be making this thread.

THis team wasn't a top contender for the past 3 months. It goes well beyond a few bounces. They lack the right mix of talent and tenacity to win in the playoffs.

GIllis needs to shake things up and quit trying to save money by signing reclamation projects. Hopefully, Luongo or COry will garner a true top 6 offensive forward or a top 2 D man. Otherwise, it is a lost opportunity.

#11 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Well in about a month or two we will be traind our 100 million dollar goalie.

Is that ballsy enough?

Trolling Luongo fans aside. I don't think we need to shake the core. Edler, Bieksa, and Kesler won't have a 2nd bad year. they're resting up and stewing over such embarrassing defeat.

lol. I completely agree that they will be better but the problem I have is that I think they need just one more player whether it be from free-agent signing or trade to put them over the top. Most analysts had Vancouver going to the finals this year but it never amounted to anything because the team couldn't overcome the loss of Daniel. If they had that one player who could step up and make a difference it would have changed everything because the games were so close it would have only taken 1 goal to shift the momentum.

#12 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I dunno...

I really hate this attitude towards the playoffs, just look at the Pittsburgh and Philly games, the Flyers worked their butts off to come back in almost all of those games and won you can't say that was all luck. And yea you're right, I probably wouldn't be making this thread but we never got those few bounces.

#13 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

lol. I completely agree that they will be better but the problem I have is that I think they need just one more player whether it be from free-agent signing or trade to put them over the top. Most analysts had Vancouver going to the finals this year but it never amounted to anything because the team couldn't overcome the loss of Daniel. If they had that one player who could step up and make a difference it would have changed everything because the games were so close it would have only taken 1 goal to shift the momentum.

Kassian, David Jones, and Victor Hedman.

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#14 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Gillis hasn't made a ballsy move since Sundin. Even that didn't take much testicular fortitude because it was only a 1 year signing, not a trade.

It takes some grape fruits to trade big contract players and shake things up, Gillis hasn't done this yet.

I agree and if you call the Sundin move ballsy ... wow, what a flop. How quickly people forget that he offered 2 year for 20 mill. Had Sundin taken it, we would have ended up like Columbus.

#15 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Kassian, David Jones, and Victor Hedman.

I don't understand, what are you saying? If your saying that these three players will be on our team next season then I think just getting Hedman in a Canucks jersey would definitely involve some tough decisions and I would consider it a BIG change.

#16 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I don't understand, what are you saying? If your saying that these three players will be on our team next season then I think just getting Hedman in a Canucks jersey would definitely involve some tough decisions and I would consider it a BIG change.

Yea essentially, I just really agree'd with what you said about if we had one guy taking Raymond's spot we could have probably won at least 1 game without Daniel.

vPTJpcO.jpg

#17 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Give your head a shake.

Most big changes means a sign of desperation. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't. I'm not sure who people are considering to be moved, but the moves for Booth and Ballard seem to be a couple that people have just ignored. If people are expecting deals to get Rick Nash or Jerome Iginla, those deals just aren't that simple to make. I prefer if Gillis makes more deals to get players like Higgins and Lapierre instead of making major changes that could cripple a team.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#18 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

1st topic wooo!!!!

the sundin move was massive. who knew when he got here he would skate slower than salo. give the guy more credit

#19 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Most big changes means a sign of desperation. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't. I'm not sure who people are considering to be moved, but the moves for Booth and Ballard seem to be a couple that people have just ignored. If people are expecting deals to get Rick Nash or Jerome Iginla, those deals just aren't that simple to make. I prefer if Gillis makes more deals to get players like Higgins and Lapierre instead of making major changes that could cripple a team.

These were good deals but where were these guys when they were needed

Higgins - 0 goals
Lapierre - 0 goals
Booth - 0 goals
Ballard was pretty good

#20 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

the sundin move was massive. who knew when he got here he would skate slower than salo. give the guy more credit

like someone else said it was only a one year deal, and Gillis didn't have to make any tough choices (he had cap space so he signed him!) and the only reason some consider the move to be as you say "massive" is because of his past when in all reality he had just gotten too old

Edited by funkyfresh, 29 April 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#21 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

These were good deals but where were these guys when they were needed

Higgins - 0 goals
Lapierre - 0 goals
Booth - 0 goals
Ballard was pretty good

Higgins and Lapierre were brilliant in the run to the finals and are simply a couple of the hardest workers on the team. Booth was one of the few players playing physical in the series. Everyone had a poor playoffs and something just didn't click this year. I'm sure they will bounce back.

#22 lappykass

lappykass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Trading one of our core players would be a ballsy move. We should only do that for one thing and one thing only. A top D-man. It would put us over the top, and were sooooo close to being picture perfect. One top D-man and this team is a serious threat, even more so then last season and before that.

No matter what fate shall be laid upon us, every season, we will brush off our shoulders and bleed blue

canucks or bust.

#23 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Trading one of our core players would be a ballsy move. We should only do that for one thing and one thing only. A top D-man. It would put us over the top, and were sooooo close to being picture perfect. One top D-man and this team is a serious threat, even more so then last season and before that.

I don't know about this, the real problem imo is the offence. Canucks haven't been able to score in their last two series.

#24 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't know about this, the real problem imo is the offence. Canucks haven't been able to score in their last two series.

The way AV's system works is defense first, and opening up offensive chances via strong defensive zone play. Since our defensemen aren't always great at creating turnovers and clearing the zone properly, we sometimes lose those chances.

Personally, I think AV should go. Teams are just way too familiar with his system now, and he shows no sign of mixing it up at all.

#25 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I don't think the team needs a big shake up but we do need a proven play maker for the 2nd line and a proven shutdown defence man. Gillis will have to move some bodies to get this done. The untouchable core in my eyes are as follows:

Kesler
Burrows
Sedins
Bieksa
Schneider

Anyone other than these five I would be fine parting with to attain a play making forward or a shut down d-man

He said the team needs to get younger and bigger and I agree, I just hope he doesn't go too young, like Kassian again, if he wants to go for a serious cup run. The window is closing rapidly for the core so we don't need a bunch of rookies coming in.

#26 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

We were 1st for goals for in the regular season a couple of years ago and 5th in goals for this past season. This is after our rough stretch without Daniel (our leading goal scorer) for the last part of the season.

Our cup run had us in 15th for goals for out of 16 teams. This past playoffs, we started out without Daniel. Personally, I don't think goal scoring is a major concern. Just have to hope the team gets hot at the right time of the year. It would be nice to upgrade on Raymond though.

#27 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

The way AV's system works is defense first, and opening up offensive chances via strong defensive zone play. Since our defensemen aren't always great at creating turnovers and clearing the zone properly, we sometimes lose those chances.

Personally, I think AV should go. Teams are just way too familiar with his system now, and he shows no sign of mixing it up at all.

Two back-to-back president's trophies disagree. Plus even with this "defense first" type of hockey, we've been having a couple of the most exciting years for the Canucks. Let's just get back a healthy Kesler and maybe an upgrade on Raymond and the team will start producing more. I have a suspicion that AV will not get any credit for it though when it happens.

#28 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Gillis needs to make smart hockey moves, not moves to prove the size of his set.

Edited by ilduce39, 29 April 2012 - 11:36 PM.

T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#29 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Got all excited at the naughty possibilities of this topic. Thanks for the major let down.

#30 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Gillis needs to make smart hockey moves, not moves to prove the size of his set.

I guess I need to clarify a bit. I'm talking about moves that might win us a championship not stupid ones. you can make a brave choice to help the team, not just to show your man enough. But so far, this past season, the moves he made did not make us better, they just helped to sustain the same level as the previous season. For instance, we lost Ehrhoff and that was not Gillis' fault but the fact that he didn't feel the need to fill the hole that Ehrhoff left behind canceled out the fact that our offence got better with Booth and Hodgson(with his padded minutes).

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.