The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In The Case Where Luongo Stays

Ugli Fruit

The problem? Luongo had another solid season despite having injury problems. Schneider played less than half the games than Luongo, and that was the biggest workload he had ever faced. When he actually played a string of games, the guy started to suck too.

The kid isn't even close to proven. Just because he did well in his small portion of the games doesn't mean he'll stand up to the whole test. That's like testing a piece of wood with your hand and then using it to make a bridge just because it withstood your hand.

Because you missed my initial point. Schneider played his FIRST string of games and he had bad games. This means that it's likely that he won't be an improvement over Luongo since Schneider can't even seem to handle 7 games without having 2 bad ones while being much younger than Luongo.

That's what I'm saying. Schneider hasn't played very well when he played a stretch of games. So why would he do well when he plays 40 more?

You do realize that Schneider is more of a prick now, right? Luongo says he's willing to waive his NTC (let's say that's null since he requested a trade), but his entire attitude of him losing starts even though he's WAY more accomplished than Schneider and him stressing that he doesn't want to be in the way of the team shows he's mature, whereas Schneider is pretty much demanding a starter job or is going to leave.

Who's the prick now?

Lou has had a better attitude this season but to me it looks forced and as far as the NTC he along with the rest of us see his days are done here and it's time to move on.

So Cory has demanded to be starter? If your only argument is to put words in someone's mouth then you are grasping at straws.

So good luck with that.

So many people are misunderstood about the term "inconsistent". EVERYBODY has bad games every season. Inconsistency is playing well one season and then playing badly the next, like Tim Thomas. Hey, I can say Schneider is inconsistent because he played 2 bad games when he played 7 straight. No, having bad games in a season doesn't mean you're inconsistent. If Luongo played bad the whole season, then he's inconsistent. You yourself said he had some good games.

Luongo had a GAA of 2.41 and a Sv% of .919 and was injured. If that's not solid for you then good luck trying to support Schneider when he starts to have bad games as our starter next year and being "inconsistent".

Schneider pretty much said he wants to be a starter. What does "I still haven't taken the step I'm hoping to take" mean to you? Even if you infer nothing, you can at least figure out that the guy is disappointed with the number of games he's playing. That already isn't a good sign. Besides, since when did CDC stop speculating? Not that this one is much of a speculation, Schneider pretty much said, "I want a starter job" in a politically correct way to disarm the media and have nobody on his back.

You talk about Vancouver being the wrong place for Luongo, and I agree with you. There is too much hate here even though not even half of it is justified, but that wasn't my initial point. My point was that a lot of people think that Schneider is just prepared to take Luongo's workload as easily as he gets out of bed. They might be right. But are you willing to take that risk? If people took off their homer AND hater glasses, we would see that:

Luongo is a very good goalie and we can expect another season where the team can easily get into the playoffs and have a fighting chance for the Cup.

Luongo's meltdowns are not a result of "choking". All goalies have bad games (I guess Fleury and Bobrovsky/Bryzgalov are both chokes since they let in a combined 38 goals in 3 games?).

Schneider looks promising, but he hasn't even played close to half a season yet. The first stretch of games he's played at the NHL level included a bad game and a horrendous game. Would you have replaced Kesler with Hodgson this year and trade Kesler for somebody else because Hodgson seemed better?

Because you missed my initial point. Schneider played his FIRST string of games and he had bad games. This means that it's likely that he won't be an improvement over Luongo since Schneider can't even seem to handle 7 games without having 2 bad ones while being much younger than Luongo.

That's what I'm saying. Schneider hasn't played very well when he played a stretch of games. So why would he do well when he plays 40 more?

I don't agree with you about you definition of consistent. Yes Lou has shorter periods of inconsistent play then Thomas did but its the same thing in the end. When Lou was injured he didn't play don't know how that works into this?

I don't want to put words in your mouth but it looks like we agree that Lou is a great goalie when he is on his game but also can play bad (I feel at times when the pressure is on). That Cory looks promising, and that Lou's days in Vancouver are done. Stop beating on Cory there is no need it makes you look vindictive.

As far a kesler I think they should have put him on the wing and Cory at center. Ryan was a great checking center but will not play that game anymore. He wants to be more offensive and kills the line with his inability to use his teammates. As a winger he would be much more affective with a playmaking center and it would open up more space for him. But this is a post for another topic.

It's not the same thing in the end if your overall season stats are consistent. Like I said, Luongo had pretty good numbers again, and I mentioned that he was injured because that can negatively affect your game.

Of course I agree Luongo is good when he's good. Who wouldn't? But the thing is, everybody has bad games. It's not like Schneider doesn't either.

I brought up the Hodgson/Kesler analogy in an attempt to relate my reasoning for concluding that keeping Schneider over Luongo isn't necessarily smart. Hodgson = Schneider and Luongo = Kesler, and trading Luongo over Schneider would be somewhat similar to trading Kesler over Hodgson.

I'm not beating on Cory I'm just trying to be objective. The only reason I look like I'm bashing him is because I've been forced to repeat the string of games he played and how his play deteriorated during it. I apologize if I seem biased because I like both goalies, but I do tend to side with the guy I feel is being hated on for little reason.

No, based on the fact that that was the longest stretch of games he played, he is not yet ready.

What he has to do to be ready? Assuming we keep Schneider and Luongo for argument's sake, he would have to play something like half the season but play for long stretches, not every other game or two. If he can keep his play at a high level after playing multiple games, then you know he's ready. At this point, he is not.

Time to waive good bye to Lui and move on. As sad as that would be, because there have been some great memories here with him, it would be right for both the player and the team to part ways. It's a business and the right thing to do is to keep the younger, cheaper goalie who is just as good. Also, I think a change of scenery would benefit Lui as well. This town just shreds the guy to pieces and most of the time it's unjust. I will cheer for him where ever he goes, but I just don't think he can win here

Time to waive good bye to Lui and move on. As sad as that would be, because there have been some great memories here with him, it would be right for both the player and the team to part ways. It's a business and the right thing to do is to keep the younger, cheaper goalie who is just as good. Also, I think a change of scenery would benefit Lui as well. This town just shreds the guy to pieces and most of the time it's unjust. I will cheer for him where ever he goes, but I just don't think he can win here

I don't even think thats it. The relationship between him and the fans (most) is over. A fire has been burning for the last three years and he's been the gasoline and scapegoat their is absolutely no reason 2 keep him at this point. I love luongo and want him gone cause I am sick hearing about it I am sure management has had enough 2 . Where ever luongo lands I hope he wins the cup that year and hopefully beating us for it. That might teach some of our idiots

Contrary to what you might think, Gillis does not make trades to keep fans happy. Trades are made to make the team better and nothing else. Otherwise Hodgson would still be here, Raymond and Ballard and Bieska would be gone, Edler on the chopping block and Trevor Linden would be coach.

lol I agree and disagree with you. I was not saying that but your statement is true and false. Gillis is making the owners happy . Money makes owners happy, if the owners have no fans then your not making money so really gillis is keeping the owners customers happy. But for your argument Would we be trading our star goalie out of town if the fans still loved him.? No. Even with Cory in the wing luongo this year(or any year) did nothing to lose his job he played top 5 In the league. does it make sense to trade a seasonal top goalie for what experts believe will be nothing .No so yeah buddy fans have tons due with this. Your statement proves it trades are made to make teams better. Well this trade doesn't do that and if you say Cory is gonna be better their is 0 proof of that and with contenders proven skill should always be picked over potential,Detroit would never let a productive star go while competing for the cup for potential never

You do realize that Schneider is more of a prick now, right? Luongo says he's willing to waive his NTC (let's say that's null since he requested a trade), but his entire attitude of him losing starts even though he's WAY more accomplished than Schneider and him stressing that he doesn't want to be in the way of the team shows he's mature, whereas Schneider is pretty much demanding a starter job or is going to leave.

Who's the prick now?

pretty much won all the big games last yr with exception in scf gm7. Gm 7 OT first round, gm6 2nd round, gm 5 third round in OT made like 60+ saves that game, gm 5 Scf for the 15th win. Also that triple ot v Dallas in his first playoff gm.

international, won semi final in 2004 world cup in OT. Won every game in Olympics, including 4 must win games, plus OT in gold medal gm

the only thing proven is that you have selective amnesia.

Archived