Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Coast Guard Layoffs/closures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

CKNW has more on the air right now.

Vancouver regional office is moving to Victoria.
Tofino,Vancouver Harbour and Comox traffic centers closing.(think off them as air traffic control centers).
Kitts rescue center closing-rescue will now come from the Sea Island rescue group.

So close down the traffic centers while at the same time pushing pipelines to the coast and increasing the amount of tankers on the coast.

Get prepared to see another Exon Valdez incident.

#2 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Or you'll have no one to save you if your boat capsizes, or heaven forbid a major incident happens with a BC Ferry.

This is what you get when you vote Conservative. They cut services, but they spend money on giving big business tax breaks.

Soon we'll be paying taxes for no services. Maybe the first thing that should get shut down is the Senate. Then cut the number of members of parliment by 1/2. That ought to save us ton's of money, especially big fat, index linked pensions.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

CKNW has more on the air right now.

Vancouver regional office is moving to Victoria.
Tofino,Vancouver Harbour and Comox traffic centers closing.(think off them as air traffic control centers).
Kitts rescue center closing-rescue will now come from the Sea Island rescue group.

So close down the traffic centers while at the same time pushing pipelines to the coast and increasing the amount of tankers on the coast.

Get prepared to see another Exon Valdez incident.

Where the hell is Sea Island?

#4 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Where the hell is Sea Island?

YVR is on Sea Island.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#5 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think this is yet another sad pea-breained policy by the CRAPs . They are pusing hard for the Enbridge Pipeline and Kinder Morgan is rattling their sabres to expand. More Oil-tanker traffic off the coast of BC and they close ????

Yet another reason why 60% + of Canadians NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER and get rid of these MORONS.

#6 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

YVR is on Sea Island.

Is there a reason they can't service the whole area from there? Why not run the patrols for both port areas out of one base?

I think were only hearing one side of the story.....

#7 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think this is yet another sad pea-breained policy by the CRAPs . They are pusing hard for the Enbridge Pipeline and Kinder Morgan is rattling their sabres to expand. More Oil-tanker traffic off the coast of BC and they close ????

Yet another reason why 60% + of Canadians NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER and get rid of these MORONS.

Get ready for even more service cuts and tax increases regardless of who you vote for.

#8 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Get ready for even more service cuts and tax increases regardless of who you vote for.

You can thank the Pea-brained tax cuts of the CRAPs for many of the service cuts. Top of the list is the GST cut that many said was a bad idea.

Slash and burn CRAPs in power. Gotta love it. LOL LOL

#9 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

If only Canada wasn't such a B______ for the US and could run its own industries freely from US influence, Canada might be able to pull its own weight and get more more cash from ALL sources.

Honestly, Canada has ALWAYS been behind the US - even when the US economy is CRAP. What kind of junk is that?

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Too busy talking to actual sources? lolwut

Posted Image

Signature designed by Morrison_rocks7 - thanks!

#10 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

If only Canada wasn't such a B______ for the US and could run its own industries freely from US influence, Canada might be able to pull its own weight and get more more cash from ALL sources.

Honestly, Canada has ALWAYS been behind the US - even when the US economy is CRAP. What kind of junk is that?

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Posted Image

#11 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Priorities :picard:
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#12 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

So is every country in the world, the US has had the world's largest economy for close to a century now. They have ten times the population of Canada, how can we possibly compete with that?

It makes perfect sense for Canada to do so much trade with the US as they are our nearest trading partner.

#13 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Or you'll have no one to save you if your boat capsizes, or heaven forbid a major incident happens with a BC Ferry.

I guess it'll also be an open invitation for more foreign fishing vessels to poach our waters, or even pirates to capture our vessels and take their occupants hostage, like the North Koreans are starting to do.

http://www.aljazeera...1458462178.html

Edited by Buggernut, 18 May 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#14 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

You can thank the Pea-brained tax cuts of the CRAPs for many of the service cuts. Top of the list is the GST cut that many said was a bad idea.

Slash and burn CRAPs in power. Gotta love it. LOL LOL

Psssh. It doesn't matter who is in power. Even a theoretical honest and balanced government will still have the population looking at dramatic tax increases and service cuts. The global credit AND demographic crash will be coming to a federal budget near you, don't worry!

That the feds are pre cutting services is actually a good thing. That way when the inevitable tax increases come they hopefully will be mild enough to still allow for at least the hope of growth.

As a preview as to how things can go if we don't get our cards in order look at the states, where the entire state of Cali is bankrupt as are many MANY municipalities. If you think it's bad cutting out a coast guard image what it's like when you can't afford to pay the firemen.

This is the kind of thing were going to have to deal with unless we get things sorted out, the sooner the better. We're already in "the inevitable correction will be painful" territory.

We can balance the budget the way things are heading now, though not as fast as I would like.

We can delay and balance the budget the way England is trying, with massive austerity that addresses the debt worse than we are already doing.

Or we can play like Greece or Iceland and find out what happens when people decide they don't want to lend you money anymore.

#15 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

If you think safety is expensive, just wait to see what an accident can cost.
Sea Island is approx 17 nautical miles from Vancouver harbour.Unless they bring out the hovercraft,or have a rescua craft on patrol it would take at least half an hr to get there.
(1 knot =1.15 mile per hr.)

#16 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

I guess it'll also be an open invitation for more foreign fishing vessels to poach our waters, or even pirates to capture our vessels and take their occupants hostage, like the North Koreans are starting to do.

http://www.aljazeera...1458462178.html

We still have one coastguard base and the navy.

#17 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

think of the immagration boats rushing now

#18 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

So is every country in the world, the US has had the world's largest economy for close to a century now. They have ten times the population of Canada, how can we possibly compete with that?

It makes perfect sense for Canada to do so much trade with the US as they are our nearest trading partner.

No, I get the reason why Canada does trade with the US, but they are also extremely DEPENDENT on the US.

Here's one example - the auto industry.

Look at how small Italy is as a country. Look at how many car companies they have produced - Fiat (BIG company), Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, etc etc)

And Canada has...

None! Well, 1 if you count the Plethora car which is built in Montreal/Quebec by a Canadian car company that is very new.

We clearly have workers that can build cars and we have the know-how, yet Canada debases themselves by working for another company (Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda etc). There's not another homegrown company that can make cars on a massive scale.

It's probably because the US already has the inside track for cars.

We also had an aerospace industry back in the 50's before the Diefenbaker shut it down partially due to the costs but also because the US was directly competing against us and I guess we had a low-self esteem so we shut down the Avro Arrow project. ALL those workers were out of work and they fled to the states where Boeing and NASA snatched up all that influx of talent.

Posted Image

#19 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yesterday a coast gaurd auxillary boat overturned in Sechelt Inlet by the skooocumchuck narrows.There were 4 people on board and it seems 2 of the crew drowned.Disaster is always just seconds away.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.