The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Do You Comfort Someone When They're Down?

MashedBananas

Hey guys,

So....one of my closest and best friends is really upset right now. She found out she's going to need work done on her knee because it's pretty messed up right now and is nervous of the thought of surgery.... and now she just broke up with her boyfriend. She's been really really upset and she's turning to me for comfort right now.....but I feel like i'm failing miserably at it. I've just been there for her, giving her a shoulder to cry on, trying to lift her spirits, and encourage her, but i'm having trouble with all three of those because I really don't know what to do! She means a lot to me so I absolutely hate seeing her this down, yet I'm feeling almost useless when she needs me.....any advice?

Thanks,

HC

Unfortunately, a lot of times all you can do is just be there for her, give her that shoulder to cry on, and lift her spirits. A lot of times that's what girls really apprieciate anyways, she'll probably tell you that after all this is over. :)

I do feel for you though. Maybe try taking her out for a classy dinner? Girls like that.

Depending on the girl; Giant Bag of Weed.

Take her out and have some fun as friends, create some new memories to replace the recent crappy ones. Be the shoulder to cry on, listen to her problems, offer the best advice you can. Accept the fact that there is nothing more you can do. :)

Just try to get her mind off of her issues. You must know some of her interests so try and do some things she really likes to do(movies, dinner etc) I know you may be limited because of her up coming surgery but there's gotta be something you can think of to get her smiling. Good luck man and hope she starts feeling better soon.

Hey guys,

So....one of my closest and best friends is really upset right now. She found out she's going to need work done on her knee because it's pretty messed up right now and is nervous of the thought of surgery.... and now she just broke up with her boyfriend. She's been really really upset and she's turning to me for comfort right now.....but I feel like i'm failing miserably at it. I've just been there for her, giving her a shoulder to cry on, trying to lift her spirits, and encourage her, but i'm having trouble with all three of those because I really don't know what to do! She means a lot to me so I absolutely hate seeing her this down, yet I'm feeling almost useless when she needs me.....any advice?

Thanks,

HC

Get her to talk about her feelings by paraphrasing.

If she says something along the lines of, "well I broke up with him because I just didn't seem happy with him anymore and he's not the guy he was when we started dating." You could paraphrase that into, "So what you're saying is you ended the relationship because you weren't feeling as happy as you once did." and this will get her to elaborate on that. Eventually she'll solve her own problems and make sense of everything and feel better and will think that you did it.

So your asking CDC for help?

Canucks.com,fire av,trade luongo,trade Schneider,trade both,trade raymond,Ballard,Schroeder,1st, for Nash,trade kesler,shall I continue?

And your asking CDC,Canucks.com for help.

Good luck my Interweb friend.

Archived