The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo should get his due from critics [Province Article]

The Situation

I think were missing Lous point, were all so wrapped up in whether he is a good golie or not we are forgetting he is probably pissed off about being bashed everytime the team looses , if he moves it be because he wants to move closer or have more access to his family. Lou is a pro and one of the best, I would keep him, and worry about the defence infront of of him who causeda greater precentage of the goals scored on him the handful he let in.

Thank god Gillis is pouring some water on this fire.

We've had a couple of AMAZING years with this franchise. It's been crazy.

Now we hit a couple bumps in the road, if you can call having two all-star calibre goalies a problem, and half the fan base is already kicking the greatest goalie we've ever had out the door.

Where is the clarity? What did we have before Luongo? Do people really not remember the years of goaltending futility around here?

You're only ever one knee jerk trade away from being one of the have-nots again.

And...Luongo is underpaid with a cap hit at $5.3 million per year. Who cares what his salary actually is? That's a great deal for a great goalie. There are out clauses in the contract and ways of dealing with the length of it.

Luongo gives us a better chance to win the Cup in the next 2, 3 and maybe even 5 years than Schneider.

That is all that matters. If anyone's going, it's Schneider, case closed. If MG decides to trade Luongo over Schneider this team won't see a cup for another 5+ years and you can quote me on that.

I've heard some people mention that they don't like Gallagher that much. Too negatively opinionated. I didn't really feel anything one way or the other. I haven't read the article yet but I did start and quit when he states that Bleacher Report if "pretty solid".

What the hell is he smoking.

That's hilarious! What are "downunda"? A rock?

Don't forget Roberto's faced tons more shots and has had a lot more playing time over the years than other goalies, which I believe will contribute to him declining faster and younger then some of the other elite goaltenders that we've seen.

Smart decision would be to go with Schneids, he has a lot more years left in him then Luongo, and he is a technical goaltender so I don't see his play going anywhere but up.

What gets me is alot of these "new" fans out here in CDC dont know that Luo and kirk are the best goalies we have ever had both have brought us to the final. Why do they think that luo sux when our past in goalies says that so far he is the best goalie since Captain. My other favs...Auldy, Garret,

Luongo has the best winning percentage among all goalies over the last four seasons. (Here's an idea)

Luongo: .599

Lundqvist: .545

Thomas: .567

Miller: .548

Fleury: .574

Post season is a different story, of course, but Luongo has been pretty damn good there as well with a career 2.50 and .917 prior to this series against the Kings. Lundqvist has a BIGGER cap hit than Luongo and has accomplished even less than Roberto in the regular season and playoffs if you want to compare success there as well, which neither of them have much of. I don't see Ranger fans wanting to ship him out of town. Further evidence this fan base is pretty stupid sometimes.

http://www.quanthock...yers-stats.html

Ya, show me recent stats of Lu that are superior than Schneider? Than make counter-arguments. Btw how many goals did Lu let in on his belly in 2 games against LA compared to Schneider. Stop relying on the long ago stats and if you want to don't forget to mention his meltdowns against Chicago and Boston plus shootouts, can't forget them.

How soon people forget how we historically haven't had the strongest goal tenders, and it showed...we weren't exactly considered cup contenders and if we were in the running, we were the underdog. When the Canucks finally got a bona fide goaltender in Luongo, the team has since become a strong contender consistently, and placing high in the standings. Would we have placed just as well year after year with our past goal tenders, probably not. Yes, to be competitive you do need a top notch goalie. And by miracle...the Canucks are now faced with two very good goal tenders in their roster...wishes do come true and then some. People who are not giving Luongo the credit he deserves are either new Canuck fans or have a very short memory.

Archived