The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

it's been happening for decades, hell probably since the beginning of the sport from some of the old games i've watched, but the past couple years they've been stricter on interference calls so the d-man wasn't allowed to impede the forechecker even close to as much, then they relaxed the rules around it this year after looking at how to protect players. it was widely reported this season.

it's been happening for decades, hell probably since the beginning of the sport from some of the old games i've watched, but the past couple years they've been stricter on interference calls so the d-man wasn't allowed to impede the forechecker even close to as much, then they relaxed the rules around it this year after looking at how to protect players. it was widely reported this season.

Only true hockey fans would watch the finals. the rest of you are just following the Canucks and don't give a jack about hockey.

Prove me wrong by watching the finals then.

Yes, I'm sad that the Canucks are out, but I still love the sport of hockey. Whether our team is in our out, the sport still plays on.

I will be watching the finals until it ends, rooting for LA, because they deserve it more than any team in the 2012 Playoffs....except us. We deserve it more, but we're out...what can you do? New Jersey can go s*** it. Brodeur is an old fart.

And as for the ratings, you mean the ratings in VANCOUVER are low, probably...or in any Canadian city. As for American networks, probably higher than Canada's.

Well at least the Kings didn't win last night. I hate the Kings and the Ducks don't have to share Wednesday June 6, 2007 with Wednesday June 6, 2012 with the Kings. I was overly excited checking the score for this game last night on my phone. I was waiting for my food at Disney California Adventure.

Only true hockey fans would watch the finals. the rest of you are just following the Canucks and don't give a jack about hockey.

Prove me wrong by watching the finals then.

Yes, I'm sad that the Canucks are out, but I still love the sport of hockey. Whether our team is in our out, the sport still plays on.

I will be watching the finals until it ends, rooting for LA, because they deserve it more than any team in the 2012 Playoffs....except us. We deserve it more, but we're out...what can you do? New Jersey can go s*** it. Brodeur is an old fart.

And as for the ratings, you mean the ratings in VANCOUVER are low, probably...or in any Canadian city. As for American networks, probably higher than Canada's.

I love watching hockey. Not just Canucks but hockey in general. I try to watch the finals regardless of the teams every year. However, even I am having a hard time watching the finals this year. It just feels like I am watching a regular season game. But I don't blame the teams. They both deserve to be there.

I blame what the NHL has become. I can't even tell what a penalty is anymore. More and more I see the outcome of the game not determined by the team but by what calls are being or not being made. Also, five guys all collapsing in front of the net making it impossible to get any shots through makes it boring, although I don't deny the effectiveness. Goals seem to rely more on luck now than skill. Throw everything at the net and hope something bounces in or gets tipped seems to be the only way to score.

To all of those people are saying that there is not some type of rigging going on........how many times have we heard in the media how amazing the Kings run has been how they have achieved the impossible, what a story it is! The NHL is trying to make an ultimate 'Cinderella run' with LA. The only problem is NO ONE CARES because the hockey is boring and sub par. Its not hockey its just......meh.........

I was wondering if any of you thought a " Possession " clock would work, it would be like the shot clock, but you only have lets say, 45 seconds from when you receive the puck via, faceoff, goalie playing it our or interception. The clock would run from your own zone all the way until you get a shot. I think it would kill the trap. Ideas?

To all of those people are saying that there is not some type of rigging going on........how many times have we heard in the media how amazing the Kings run has been how they have achieved the impossible, what a story it is! The NHL is trying to make an ultimate 'Cinderella run' with LA. The only problem is NO ONE CARES because the hockey is boring and sub par. Its not hockey its just......meh.........

I disagree.......The talent level of the league has never been higher. More nations than ever are producing elite level players and the US is starting to produce almost as many NHL players as Canada. I work with a guy that played in the NHL in the 80's~90's and in his own words the leagues players are faster, bigger and more skilled. Your argument was relevant about 10 years ago.

My ideas are radical and if you read my post carefully you would see that my overall preference would be BIGGER ICE (92 wide) And REDUCED GOALIE EQUIPMENT. The problem is the owners don't want to lose seats and the goalies constantly whine about not being safe with less equipment. SO ......simple adjustments can be made to offset this.

The NHL fails if it is not constantly looking for ways to better the game. The NBA adopted 3 pt lines, shot clocks and 3 pt lines to produce a better product and obviously it's worked amazingly. I continue to watch the playoffs and am a fan of the game.I have been totally impressed by how good LA has been. But the style of play that is successful today is going to do nothing but drag the NHL back to the 90's dead puck era. If teams are rewarded for attacking style offense and skill then Coaches will have no choice but to follow suit with strategies to create more chances. Win Win IMO

I know a few people were against my idea, but since you were the first... I'll just quote your response (so this whole post isn't directly at you.)

First, the whole penalty thing... I get what you are saying with "if it's a penalty in October" part. But once again I'll point out that several people were upset after game 1 against the Kings that the refs were calling too much... so I kept bumping it to prove a point that when you call "everything" you still get people all up in arms over penalties. Personally, I hate it when a ref calls "boarding" or "charging" on huge LEGAL hits (I know not all of them are legal... I'm only talking about the legal hits that the vast majority would agree was legal.) That takes away a huge part of the game because players start to become "shy" of throwing a big hit (which could easily change the momentum of a game.)

as for the net size... (so this actually goes out to those that were against the idea of raising the goal height 6 inches.)

I too am a goalie, and usually I am not a fan of changing things when it comes to goalies... but hear me out on this;

1) raising the net 6" doesn't force goalies to "re-learn" the net. Knowing where you are in your net area (post to post, center of the net, etc.) is a huge thing for goalies... so making the nets wider I am totally against. BUT, if you just raise it 6", then goalies wouldn't have to "re-learn" their positions in front of their own net.

2) most goalies today are 6'2" tall and can cover the upper corners from their knees. 12 years ago, the average goalie was 6 feet tall and could cover the upper corners from their knees (while in a butterfly save position) and back in the 80s goalies were averaging around 5'10"/5'11" tall... so in the last 30 years, the average height has gone up 3-4 inches (again, allowing them to cover the upper parts of the net easier and not have to get back on their feet as fast.) Also with the added height, that means their legs are longer as well.. and can cover more of the bottom of the net. You raise it 6" and you are forcing goalies to get back up and not just pad-slide around the net the whole time.

3) high-stick goals/playing the puck. Most players are around 6'-6'1" mark... and can play a puck with their stick as long as it's below their shoulders. So the height in which a player can play the puck has grown over time... yet you can't knock a puck in if you make contact above the 4' crossbar (which hasn't been allowed to change.)

4) pad size doesn't help cover "higher" in the net. I'm not a fan of reducing pad size (since players are able to shoot harder and harder more consistently,) but with this change... it doesn't matter how "fat" a goalie is, because they still couldn't cover the top of the net as easily from their knees. Actually the larger chest protector might hinder them more than help (most goalies wear straps over their chest pads to keep them from "raising" up into their neck/head.)

I know these are just 4 examples supporting the idea... but I'd like to hear some examples of why it's not a good idea to raise it 6" (besides the idea of tradition... if we stuck to that, then goalies would get penalties for dropping to the ice.)

Archived