The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Speculation] Schultz expected to sign with VAN, TOR, or EDM

Around 26 million tied up in 4 players is not that great of a thing, because they would need to sign a good goalie and 4 solid D-Men.

I say 26 million because Hall, Eberle, RNH, and possibly Yakupov could easily turn out to be worth at least 6.5 million each. That 70 million you are talking about would easily evaporate. The only way I see them keeping everyone is if the cap goes up to 80 million by then.

the canucks powerplay was brutal from mid december or so onwards. there was that one showing against the bruins that stood out and then it was back to being one of the worst in the league the rest of the way.

Awesome...Yet another clown that associates being justifiably critical of a Canuck player as being a bandwagon fan. Genius.

Edler is so overrated on here based on offensive production and a few big hits in the playoffs. He's slow going back on pucks and not good at all when being pressured. He's far from a PP QB as evidenced by the miserable PP the team had for most of last year. He's got average at best foot speed that allows him to be forechecked much easier than most "elite" defenseman (which he is far from) and he is positionally average based on the excessive times where you see him come so close to being called for a hook or hold when he's playing someone up against the boards and gets his hand or stick extended to hold off the forward.

Edler is a nice defenseman. He's far from elite and will not at all be deserving of the likely 5+ mil contract he will get soon either here or in UFA. It's a very similar case to Bieksa who owes his money to the Canucks best defenseman Dan Hamhuis. They are both very overrated by this board because very few fans can look at things objectively enough to have the balls to criticize their beloved Canucks, even when deserved.

Great, another Canuck twinkie who thinks they know what they are talking about. You still haven't answered how he made the all star team??

Nobody called him elite but he is only 26 and

improving. I won't even start on defending Bieksa as you clearly judge players on the last game they played.

I'm not going to defend Bieksa because I've always been critical of his game but Edler on the other hand. Here's a player who had one bad playoff series and people are putting him in proposals and wanting to trade him. It's quite sad, actually. I do, believe Edler is a game changer and though, not quite elite but is close if he works on his consistency.

Now, to get things clear. Edler isn't suppose to be a puck moving defense man. So, you shouldn't expect him to be one. This is where management has to come in, and perhaps acquire a guy so the pressure isn't on Edler to try to attempt to be Ehrhoff. There's no question that Edler is expected to be a point producer and a puck mover and that has to stop. He's simply not that.

People have the idea that a big name player, who is considered elite around the league to be always consistent and in top form. This is probably the biggest problem. People say that Weber is great and all, but if you actually watch the games. How much greater is Weber, really? If you compare Edler to all the defense man in the NHL, he ranks near the top 10, easily, even with his flaws. There just isn't too many guys who can be perfection. He's 26, and just entering his prime. What he's already accomplished and proven shows that he can be a game changer. He is definitely worth 5 million dollars .

The problem with Edler is that he is a very good 2nd defense man on any team right now, but he needs a partner. You need a guy, who can be a puck mover, stay physical, and actually fight/stand up for the guy. I think a guy like Jason Garrison might be that guy. Edler, then needs to return to a defensive first game. Talking about physicality. Edler is the only guy on the Canucks D, that can hurt a guy with a clean hit.

Maybe the first half of the season but the Oilers were right there with them at #2 and they spent the second half of the season usually at the top of the league.

The point was that the Oilers didn't take over the Canucks by 1% in the final month of the season. The Oilers ranked higher than the Canucks from about late December until the end of the season and there is no way it all happened in the last month because that's when it took a bit of a dip since Hall and his 13 PP goals were out of the line up.

I

Awesome...Yet another clown that associates being justifiably critical of a Canuck player as being a bandwagon fan. Genius.

Edler is so overrated on here based on offensive production and a few big hits in the playoffs. He's slow going back on pucks and not good at all when being pressured. He's far from a PP QB as evidenced by the miserable PP the team had for most of last year. He's got average at best foot speed that allows him to be forechecked much easier than most "elite" defenseman (which he is far from) and he is positionally average based on the excessive times where you see him come so close to being called for a hook or hold when he's playing someone up against the boards and gets his hand or stick extended to hold off the forward.

Edler is a nice defenseman. He's far from elite and will not at all be deserving of the likely 5+ mil contract he will get soon either here or in UFA. It's a very similar case to Bieksa who owes his money to the Canucks best defenseman Dan Hamhuis. They are both very overrated by this board because very few fans can look at things objectively enough to have the balls to criticize their beloved Canucks, even when deserved.

I more or less agree with KeslerownsIginla. Rey you lost me when you said Edler is near the top 10 in the league. Edler is a very good #2 or 3 defenseman who can put up a lot of points on a good team, but some fans here still think he's the next coming of Lidstrom. He's not a pp qb, he's not even a top pairing defenseman, he doesn't have a lot of holes in his game but scoring 60 points does not an elite defenseman make. All-star game, lol, Sampy what a joke. Lots of players make the all-star game.

I more or less agree with KeslerownsIginla. Rey you lost me when you said Edler is near the top 10 in the league. Edler is a very good #2 or 3 defenseman who can put up a lot of points on a good team, but some fans here still think he's the next coming of Lidstrom. He's not a pp qb, he's not even a top pairing defenseman, he doesn't have a lot of holes in his game but scoring 60 points does not an elite defenseman make. All-star game, lol, Sampy what a joke. Lots of players make the all-star game.

Chara

Weber

Letang

Doughty

Karlsson

Suter

Campbell

Yandle

Girardi

Pietrangelo

Boyle

Keith

Seabrook

Kronwall

Timonen

DelZotto

Streit

Wideman

Carle

Burns

Hamhuis

Shattenkirk

Buff

All guys who you could at the very least make a case for ahead of Edler based on their potential or where they are at already. Edler had big pts production this year but hes far from being a top10 guy. He likely makes the top 20 but its not any higher than about 15th at the most.

Oh ya and somehow this kid who's never played in the NHL (the reason for this thread) is what, somehow better than Elder? Laughable folks, laughable....watch Schultz get schooled in his first three years in the NHL, just like every other dman. He's going to come in thinking he's the man because he was a man amongst boys in US College hockey and then get a guy like Lucic in his face...welcome to the NHL bi tch...

He's nothing until he's proven kids, and this talk of Edler this Edler that...sheer ignorance and lack of understanding of how difficult the game is at the NHL level...pure ignorance.

Okay he didn't make the all-star team, he played in the all-star GAME, there is a big difference, and it was because he had a lot of points - THAT'S IT. He's not even the best defenseman on the Canucks. For the record I don't want him gone, I like him a lot as a player, but for the love of god he needs a good partner, and he needs to be on the 2nd pairing, and he shouldn't be guaranteed a spot on the power play because he's not great there (was better with Samuelsson and Ehrhoff on the points), and he's gonna be overpaid pretty soon.

Okay he didn't make the all-star team, he played in the all-star GAME, there is a big difference, and it was because he had a lot of points - THAT'S IT. He's not even the best defenseman on the Canucks. For the record I don't want him gone, I like him a lot as a player, but for the love of god he needs a good partner, and he needs to be on the 2nd pairing, and he shouldn't be guaranteed a spot on the power play because he's not great there (was better with Samuelsson and Ehrhoff on the points), and he's gonna be overpaid pretty soon.

As good as that looks, I think we only have room for one of Shultz, Franson or Garrison (in order of preference)! Really, I'd be stoked to get any of?

Schultz is first, to respond to DeNiro, because he can also carry the puck against pressure. Someone to deliver the puck up ice against fore checkers and neutral zone traps when no passing lane to a forward is avail. Someone to carry the puck into the power play zone instead of that god forsaken drop pass! He is a puck carrier and a PP captain, so top choice!

But we need at least one beastly, monger of a defensive defender on the right side or face getting beat up! So we probably cant tactically afford two of those guys at the same time, is my response to Keslord and the Law! Get a big guy or defensive guy plus one of the trio.

Edler/Schultz or Edler / Garrison or Edler Franson

Hammer/KB3

KB4/??? Candidates could be Jackman, Souray, next year Weber...

Alberts/Tanev

Shultz knows that we do have room for him on that right side with Salo possibly not playing next year. Put him with Edler and we've got some serious young talent.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Shultz

Ballard-Garrison

WIN :)

Archived