Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks inquired about Jordan Staal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

#121 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

Actually Kesler's the one who can pass.

Staal has a career high of 28 assists in 82 games.

Kesler has a career high of 50 assists in 82 games.

Also, before you say it, Kesler wasn't on the 1st pp unit back then.

Yeah, I think it'd be wise for Kesler to go back to that pass first approach if only to become a less predictable player because that will certainly make him a much more dangerous offensive player. It's not like Booth, Higgins etc haven't already proven they can be 20g guys quite easily (both have three 20g seasons under their belts already).

Look to set up your teammates, Kesler.

Kesler can pass, when he wants to.

I believe Miller is correct about Kesler's play. He has gotten away from passing as often as he had in previous seasons. I don't think it's too much of a co-incidence that Kesler went to 40+ goals in one season while his linemate's production tailed off (regardless of injuries or slumps in play).

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#122 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

It's true that when Kesler is on his game he's a force to be reckoned with and can be a 1 man team. BUT he's also one of the leading reasons why players and fans around the league despite Vancouver. It's really a shame he embellishes and dives so often. I love Kes but sometimes I just can't stand him. Anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMqcMFu6bpg

Burrows does the same crap but just less noticeable at times. How come people never put heat on Burrows for that? I'd much rather have Kesler than Burrows to be honest.

#123 Melbourne Canuck

Melbourne Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

Gillis was right to enquire about Staal and also right to refuse giving up Kesler to acquire him.

#124 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

LA Kings commentators handled that Kesler dive quite tastefully.
Posted Image

#125 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

what the hell does Staal being 2 inches taller have to do with anything. Does it mean he is grittier or a better defensive player, cause Keslers Selke say's otherwise. Does he mean he can go to the net and score more, if so why does Kesler have more goals?I don't care where and when Kesler scores, whethers its on the PP, PK or EVEN the fact is he scores more goals then Staal and does a better job preventing them.

Yeah, well you obviously have some serious boner for Kesler, and I wouldn't blame you if you do.

If a guy is bigger/taller then I always see that as an advantage unless the player is inferior significantly skill-wise. That's not the case with Staal.

Staal almost never plays on PP because of Crosby and Malkin. I'm saying if Staal can already score on EV like that, he could even double his production if he can play on PP like Kesler always does.

On top of that, Staal is 4 years younger, which means he will have far better chance of developing further than Kesler. When Kesler was Staal's age, he was being trashed on CDC as a permanent 3rd line checker and 1st round bust. Staal already is an established Stanley Cup winner and he does everything already just like Kesler.

Edited by Yeria, 27 June 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#126 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Kesler can pass, when he wants to.

I believe Miller is correct about Kesler's play. He has gotten away from passing as often as he had in previous seasons. I don't think it's too much of a co-incidence that Kesler went to 40+ goals in one season while his linemate's production tailed off (regardless of injuries or slumps in play).

regards,
G.

I agree. I would like Kesler to pass a lot more... He may have scored 41 goals in '10-'11 but his tendency to shoot now has made him easier to defend. If he's going to continue shooting, he's going to need a winger who can get him the puck in good areas.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.