94 replies to this topic

#31 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

He's still unproven but there's a lot of hype around his potential. I think he's friends with Gardiner.

#32 Brock Lesnar

Brock Lesnar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Yup...its basically a chain reaction

SSM

What do you mean???

BL

#33 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

I've heard him labelled as "the next Drew Doughty"
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#34 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

If he even saw this post suggesting he would be in the AHL we'd have no chance of signing him. Be careful what you say, I'm sure he watches every message board in the NHL

If he does watch NHL message boards, he's probably already familiar with the batting average of sanity on CDC. If that hasn't swayed him, then some random fan saying he should be in the AHL certainly won't.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

Recent tweet from bob Mackenzie, who can be believed more than most analysts....

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Some NHL teams believe Schultz is destined to end up with his home province Canucks. We should know more in next few days if not sooner.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#36 oeteman

oeteman

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

I personally saw him play last season twice and I am confused what the hype is about....

He did not stand out at all and it wasn't until I started hearing his name tossed around 2 weeks ago that I remembered who he was. Come to think of it he had a pretty nasty give away in his own end that ended with a 2 on 0 back but goalie bailed him out.

That being said... couldve been 2 bad games?

#37 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

I personally saw him play last season twice and I am confused what the hype is about....

He did not stand out at all and it wasn't until I started hearing his name tossed around 2 weeks ago that I remembered who he was. Come to think of it he had a pretty nasty give away in his own end that ended with a 2 on 0 back but goalie bailed him out.

Yep... he could be terrible and not NHL ready. Of course it costs us nothing except a bit of cap space... and maybe the chance to go after another UFA to fill that spot.

All ELC contracts have to be two-way as I understand it so he could be moved to the minors without being waived if he wasn't ready.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#38 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

You make a good point though. People hopefully won't equate the hype to acquire a talented free agent with the hype of acquiring an all-star defenceman. Regardless of the hype, he is still a rookie and will take a little while to acclimate to the Show.
Posted Image

#39 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

Judging by the clamour to court the former Anaheim second-round 2008 draft pick — he became a UFA on Monday thanks to a loophole in the expiring NHL collective bargaining agreement that cites his extra year of BCHL play before jumping to the NCAA and then snubbing the Ducks at the June 1 signing deadline — there’s widespread belief that at age 21, the West Kelowna product has a level of maturity to excel at the pro game. And with Schultz limited to a two-year, entry-level contract at $925,000 US annually, suitors are salivating.

That is main reason for all the hub bub. Besides of course Schultz's big potential. Its like having a young Drew Doughty in your line up for two years at less than a sixth his salary. Which leaves you with still a ton a cap space for other players. And if he doesn't live up to the hype......ah fogetaboutit. No biggy.

Which means the puck is in Schultz's glove. He's already rejected the Ducks. He is looking for a team that he believes he can play the style he wants to play, and be given the minutes he wants. I just hope it all doesn't go to his head, IF he signs here.

The other big IF is how a young entitled star like that will get on with AV. Not well IMO based on AV's past brutal impatience behaviour with rookies. But I'm willing to hope AV can change his ways and that he's learned from the Hodgson experience.

#40 oeteman

oeteman

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

It would be great to lock him in and be able to dump ballard's contract

#41 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

He worked with Coloenel Klink.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

A lot of hype for university hockey...

Posted Image

#43 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Sportstalk NW98 is reporting that the Canucks brass are in TO courting Schultz now and expect to make a pitch for him no later than Friday.
Schultz has stated the Canucks are his number one choice.
AV is there as Schultz has concerns about playing time and is said to be demanding a certain amount in any signing as a prerequisite demand.

#44 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Sportstalk NW98 is reporting that the Canucks brass are in TO courting Schultz now and expect to make a pitch for him no later than Friday.
Schultz has stated the Canucks are his number one choice.
AV is there as Schultz has concerns about playing time and is said to be demanding a certain amount in any signing as a prerequisite demand.

Dear me. You mean he wants to go straight from Uni into an elite team with a 186 lb body? Tell me that was a joke......what do our existing 6 say about that?
Kevin.jpg

#45 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Jason Gregor@JasonGregor
Justin Schultz's parents are #Canucks season ticket holders...That could sway his decision.

Retweeted by Iain MacIntyre

#46 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

What do you mean???

BL

If one starts, others start too. Hope I worded that right

SSM
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#47 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Dear me. You mean he wants to go straight from Uni into an elite team with a 186 lb body? Tell me that was a joke......what do our existing 6 say about that?

They say he is still bigger than Tanev.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#48 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

His comparison of how good he is would be Drew Doughty, considered to be the best player not playing the nhl right now.

Posted Image

#49 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

His comparison of how good he is would be Drew Doughty, considered to be the best player not playing the nhl right now.

What?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#50 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I like his enthusiasm. He knows how to play, so let him play. The more he plays the better he develops. It's not like our top players don't make mistakes, so what's there to be afraid of?

This has win'win written all over it. A dream come true for a Canuck fan to grow up and play for the Canucks. Also for the fans to have a possible star player from BC.

Anyone in the locker room who is jealous of his playing time does'nt deserve to be here. There will always be younger, better players coming along. They can go cry to their wives and mommies in a different city if there is.

Cross my fingers, and hope he signs with us. Could be the start of something great, a changing of the gaurd, and a gift from the hockey gods.

#51 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Nobody is going to believe why I know this but schultz will be a Oiler

End of thread

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#52 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

End of thread

Hey you shutup
Posted Image

#53 Commercial Canuck

Commercial Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm pretty sure he's either going to be an Oiler or a Ranger next season. I'm leaning more on Oilers as his decision though.

#54 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Practically nobody here has seen him play for any real period of time, so take everything with a grain of salt. He's from the Okanagan, his family are all Canucks fans, let the rumours fly!!!

Exactly. 'I know real well how 'so and so' plays'. Okay, no you don't. You just look at stat sheets, a couple youtube clips and make your analysis on that. Obviously a lot more goes into judging a player. And typically those guys doing it have far more experience than you do. They are professionals after all
Posted Image

#55 yogolol

yogolol

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

I just wanna ask who sits out if we get him? Say Salo doesn't retire our top 6 is this

Edler-Salo
Hamius- Bieksa
Tanev-Ballard

Either Tanev or Ballard will have to sit out. Sitting Tanev out for someone who has not played one game in the NHL, well I'm sure that'll piss off Tanev who has been trying to be a regular for the last 2 years (also it's a dirty move imo) and if we sit Ballard out that's 4 mill sitting on the bench.

Edited by yogolol, 28 June 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#56 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

End of thread

I'd love to hear.

#57 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd love to hear.

his cousin's friend's dog walker's boyfriend's nephew knows schultz's mom's hairstylist's doctor's dentist.

#58 manicdonkey

manicdonkey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

I just wanna ask who sits out if we get him? Say Salo doesn't retire our top 6 is this

Edler-Salo
Hamius- Bieksa
Tanev-Ballard

Either Tanev or Ballard will have to sit out. Sitting Tanev out for someone who has not played one game in the NHL, well I'm sure that'll piss off Tanev who has been trying to be a regular for the last 2 years (also it's a dirty move imo) and if we sit Ballard out that's 4 mill sitting on the bench.

There's no guarantee that all 6 of those players will be back by the time the season starts. What would happen if we signed Garrison? Ballard could possibly be gone. We could end up making a trade that would even include someone like Tanev. Perhaps Salo plays an even further reduced role including some pine riding. Who knows. Either way the Canucks are clearly making a play for Schultz and it seems like a great move. Worst case scenario we have a free extra grade A prospect and have to move another prospect to make room in which case we'd get value back.

The Canucks don't just want a full roster, they want the best roster possible. If that means moving a slightly worse player because we obtained a slightly better one, then why not?

My money is actually on the Canucks top 3 D pairings NOT looking like this:

Edler-Salo
Hamius- Bieksa
Tanev-Ballard

M.

Edited by manicdonkey, 28 June 2012 - 04:36 PM.

So yeah, my name is Michael and I'm a 28 year old realtor that lives in New Westminster. Message if you want to chat about anything.

#59 futurecupchampions

futurecupchampions

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

looks like another team has been added...not confirmed though

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Strongly led to believe MIN, as in Wild, are in on shortlist for UFA dman Justin Schultz. That would make 6 teams we know of. Maybe more?

vancity B)

#60 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'd love to hear.

I was sandbagging the shushwap shore line with his uncle and 2 cousins.
The family has a seasonal spot and the same place I do.
I never even put the 2 together till he brought it up, known the family a while. Had no idea that he was their nephew.

He never realy said anything, he just said it would be cool if he went to the Oliers, and I thought it was weird that he said that.

So I have jumped to a conclusion.

But I don't have Pictures so it never happened

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.