The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the Luongo situation make current canucks look at the team differently?

nucklehead2

The Roberto Luongo topic has baeen dragged out this summer and probably will until long after he is traded... But if u were a current Canuck player would you be a bit disappointed and look at the organization differently for the way they have publicly handled the Luongo trade talk? Just my opinion but as a teammate I wouldn't want my star player and someone who has surpassed almost every Canuck goalie record and is one of only 2 goalies that brought us to game 7 of the SCF to be almost thrown under the bus like he has. Dont get me wrong I am a Cory Schneider fan even if he is still an unproven number 1 goalie in the respect he hasn'y played 60 plus games in a year..... or career total, but if someone who has year after year proven he is an elite goalie in the league can be vanquished so easily and publicly be talked about being traded by Mike Gillis who has pretty much stated Lu will be gone to the highest bidder.... I am not so sure I would have the same trust in the organization as a player as I did before. Also I'd like to note I am a MG supporter he has done great things for our organization, just do not agree on how this whole thing has been handled, starting with Luongo's comments about being open to a trade after the season ended and leading up to the recent interviews with Gillis about finding a backup for Cory once Lu is gone (Discussing Lack and the veteran FA goalies who he would go after pretty obvious what that means).

Or maybe this is just how the Canucks goaltending graveyard works and I am wrong and players accept how the goalies get thrown out every couple of years

To clarify the team has supported him I am referring to the fans. But the point that was trying to be made was that players on the team have too look at this situation and be a little disappointed..

What have the Canucks done exactly for you to invoke to most overused, idiotic phrases "thrown under a bus" and "goalie graveyard"? Hockey is a business, everyone knows that.

Your problem my little friend is the media and your inability to stop reading every tweet, burp and fart from anyone with a internet connection.

The Roberto Luongo topic has baeen dragged out this summer and probably will until long after he is traded... But if u were a current Canuck player would you be a bit disappointed and look at the organization differently for the way they have publicly handled the Luongo trade talk? Just my opinion but as a teammate I wouldn't want my star player and someone who has surpassed almost every Canuck goalie record and is one of only 2 goalies that brought us to game 7 of the SCF to be almost thrown under the bus like he has. Dont get me wrong I am a Cory Schneider fan even if he is still an unproven number 1 goalie in the respect he hasn'y played 60 plus games in a year..... or career total, but if someone who has year after year proven he is an elite goalie in the league can be vanquished so easily and publicly be talked about being traded by Mike Gillis who has pretty much stated Lu will be gone to the highest bidder.... I am not so sure I would have the same trust in the organization as a player as I did before. Also I'd like to note I am a MG supporter he has done great things for our organization, just do not agree on how this whole thing has been handled, starting with Luongo's comments about being open to a trade after the season ended and leading up to the recent interviews with Gillis about finding a backup for Cory once Lu is gone (Discussing Lack and the veteran FA goalies who he would go after pretty obvious what that means).

Or maybe this is just how the Canucks goaltending graveyard works and I am wrong and players accept how the goalies get thrown out every couple of years

What have the Canucks done exactly for you to invoke to most overused, idiotic phrases "thrown under a bus" and "goalie graveyard"? Hockey is a business, everyone knows that.

Your problem my little friend is the media and your inability to stop reading every tweet, burp and fart from anyone with a internet connection.

what have they done? its all media hype and speculation. Once again vancouver media blows it self out of the water.. Gillis has said the entire time he is gonna take a slow approach to this and do the right thing for the TEAM.

he is making this team more competitive

It's a business...the team has to field the best team possible. They obviously think that keeping Schneider is the best move for the future. That's not to say Luongo is a bad goalie though or they're throwing him under the bus.

Now if you're talking about the fans, I agree. There are a lot that did throw him under the bus.

Theyre trading him and he probably wants it that way. If anybody has thrown him under the bus its probably the fans not the organization. The team actually has always stood by lou including coaches and management.

Besides, hasnt he been paid extremely well for what he has done? 10 million big smackaroos last year if Im not mistaken.

The media and fans do persuade management quite a bit, it is unfortunate.

Schneider is a great young goalie but if he does start to get shaky and faulter, the fans will turn on him just as quickly as Luongo.

Knee jerk impatient fans that act like spoiled children and appreciate nothing

Sorry I'm one of the few that's getting sick of the Burkism quotes. We had Loungo for as a starter for 6 years, and before that we had clouts for 5 years . Its not what I call a Goaltending graveyard. Would you call T.O A Goaltending graveyard? Funny how Burkie at his time in TO Never mention it once. But he gone through about just as many in TO as he did here when he was GM

But overall its a business. Your job as GM is to get the team better. How would you like to Mike Gillis to handle it??Remember Loungo has some say as to where he wants to play.

I'm pretty sure fans and media had nothing to do with Gillis re-signing Schneider. How long to you expect us to wait. Everything has a shelve life to some point. Lui did a great job for us for 6 years. But you have to get younger at some point. Like I said in another post this City is no different then any other city in how they treat star players.

Every single player in the NHL understands that this is a business. Players are looked at as assets. The Canucks probably aren't looking at their management team differently. If anything, they are looking at themselves and their first round exit and wondering if their OWN job is in peril.

The media and fans do persuade management quite a bit, it is unfortunate.

Schneider is a great young goalie but if he does start to get shaky and faulter, the fans will turn on him just as quickly as Luongo.

Knee jerk impatient fans that act like spoiled children and appreciate nothing

Archived