Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Moving on, isn't a number 1 D-man still needed?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Moving on, isn't a number 1 D-man still needed? (183 member(s) have cast votes)

Who has been our best defensemen in the playoffs for the last 5 years?

1. Sami Salo (31 votes [16.94%])

Percentage of vote: 16.94%

2. Christian Ehrhoff (11 votes [6.01%])

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

3. Dan Hamhuis (64 votes [34.97%])

Percentage of vote: 34.97%

4. Kevin Bieksa (28 votes [15.30%])

Percentage of vote: 15.30%

5. Alex Edler (11 votes [6.01%])

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

6. Not one "standout" (38 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

No point worrying now. We're a cap spending team and should Luango be traded for prospects only, MG will have over 15 million to play with--more than enough for at least two front line players from the UFA pool--should he be so inclined.

Hoping he'll spend the money wisely and not go for the obviously overpriced & overhyped names. Returning with the same roster is not an option.

About Schultz: Sucks he turned us down but it's not a stupid move to look out for number one. If he can't be here I'm glad its the Oilers. They will be an exciting team to watch and heaven knows our conference needs a serious infusion of offensive style hockey to counterbalance the likes of Blues, Preds, Yotes, Kings, etc. Perhaps they'll have some success and in time others will imitate them instead of the afore mentioned slugs.

#62 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I cant even think about further blueline acquisitions until i find out what Salo will be doing.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#63 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

Fudge let's hope we can persuade Suter to come here
Posted Image

#64 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Edler, Ballard, 2013 1st, 2014 1st for Weber.
Sign Carle

Carle-Weber
Hammer-Juice
Salo-Tanev

#65 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

I cant even think about further blueline acquisitions until i find out what Salo will be doing.

What are you saying? You're willing to risk a whole season on Salo's injury prone old and crippled body?

I love Salo. I think he's one of the best Canucks defensemen of all time, and can still contribute something to this team. However, I do not want to rely on him to play a top 4 role (in minutes) and risk a career ending injury.
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#66 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Offer sheet = Nashville gets its wish and gets to match, retaining the keys to Weber. Wastes everybody's time and a chance to sign him next summer!

Huselius = another soft forward > Exactly what we dont need!

Any more suggestions?

So don't get a big free agent like Suter and don't try to land a guy like Weber because they are expensive.... but BE BOLD! Great contradicting advice!

I believe the EXACT reverse of your suggestions are the right way to go.

Offer sheet to Weber. then sign a low risk, high reward guy like Huselius who could be had for cheap because of his injuries.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Kristian Huselius ($2.500m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Scottie Upshall ($3.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.827m)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Jose Theodore ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,746,875; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,453,125

#67 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Didn't get Shultz... too bad.
Watch out for Edmonton if he turns out to be as good as they hope.

Concerned about Suter being over-rated - as he played with Shea, and on a well coached - defence first team...

Somehow we have to do a 3 way deal involving Luongo... and get something Weber back for the asset...

#68 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Put it this way, I'd rather have Garrison making upwards of 4 million/per on the team than Ballard.

#69 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

What are you saying? You're willing to risk a whole season on Salo's injury prone old and crippled body?

I love Salo. I think he's one of the best Canucks defensemen of all time, and can still contribute something to this team. However, I do not want to rely on him to play a top 4 role (in minutes) and risk a career ending injury.

If they manage his minutes like last season, i am into it. He is loved by his teammates and the organization...i have zero problems with his role in the top 4.

If he signs, it will help shape what Gillis will want to pursue further.

Most of Gillis' more successful signings/trades/acquisitions have been with d-men. (excluding Schnieder, and i know the sentiment about Bally around here is maligned.)

Posted Image

#70 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Put it this way, I'd rather have Garrison making upwards of 4 million/per on the team than Ballard.

Id take Bally any day over Garrison.

Better yet, id love to see that as a tandem: Bally/Garrison.

Posted Image

#71 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Didn't get Shultz... too bad.
Watch out for Edmonton if he turns out to be as good as they hope.

Concerned about Suter being over-rated - as he played with Shea, and on a well coached - defence first team...

Somehow we have to do a 3 way deal involving Luongo... and get something Weber back for the asset...

I was thinking this earlier, but considering the rumors that the Panthers would want us to take a large salery player back in return for Luongo. Would they be willing to give up Brian Campbell in a package deal for Lou?

Hamhius Bieksa
Edler Campbell
???? Tanev

I'm not really sure about Campbell and his cap hit at 7.142 million/per that lasts until summer 2016. Can't deny that he's a pretty good defenseman that could really help this team.

I'd rather prefer the Canucks try to aquire Cody Franson from Toronto in a package deal in return for Luongo

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 30 June 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#72 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I think our top shutdown pair is set but were definitely in the market for a top 4 guy if we move Ballard.

Allen would be the best guy to fill this shut-down role. I think If we go after Garrison and Allen, and Tanev steps his game up, our defence could be rock solid.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#73 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Id take Bally any day over Garrison.

Better yet, id love to see that as a tandem: Bally/Garrison.

I'd take Garrison over Ballard any day. I hope the Canucks can find a way to dump Ballard's contract.

Garrison would be more productive than Ballard IMO

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 30 June 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#74 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'd take Garrison over Ballard any day. I hope the Canucks can find a way to dump Ballard's contract.

Garrison would be more productive than Ballard IMO

As with you, its just my opinion about Bally.

And to be fully fair, i have not seen enough Panthers games to have an informed opinion about Garrison.

But i have seen Bally live a few times when he was paired with Tanev, and have watched him when he was a Coyote/Panther while living in the USA...and he is much better than what many Canuck fans would give him credit for, and feel for how he has been utilized, that his contract is just too much.

I get that.

He has had some very bad luck with injuries since being traded, and has only been used sparingly because of those injuries.

From what i have sussed out, Garrison has had much more injury problems than Bally's recent (if only) injury plagued time here in Vancouver.

If Bally were moved and Garrison signed, no matter what the price is...you trade off different attributes that they bring.

Ideally...id like to see both as an option for the Canucks.

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 30 June 2012 - 08:38 PM.

Posted Image

#75 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Offer sheet = Nashville gets its wish and gets to match, retaining the keys to Weber. Wastes everybody's time and a chance to sign him next summer!

Hey Mr. Smarmy and thinks they have the slightest clue....

Any team wanting to put an offer sheet in for Weber tenders a ONE YEAR OFFER SHEET! How could you not piece that simple fact together? I am glad you aren;t the GM if you can't figure out something obvious like that. I didn't detail that out because it would be pretty much assumed by anyone with any sense... I guess I should know better from being around here for so long.

Here is the scenario:

1. Weber has so far refused twice to sign an extension with Nashville even though they offered him max permitted salary last summer. That is a pretty good clue that he doesn't intend to stay there longterm.

2. Tendering a 1yr, just under $8 million offer sheet gives them compensation of 2x1st round; 1x2nd round; and 1x3rd round if they don't match.

3. If they match, they get his services for a single year and then lose him for NOTHING. That is the worst possible outcome for them as they have just lost their best asset to keep their franchise going.

4. They are not allowed to trade him if they match an offer sheet, so they either do a sign and trade now, or risk an offer sheet that they don't dare match and lose the asset and any return.

5. You are allowed to talk with RFAs so as of tomorrow the Canucks can talk to him and ask if he wants to be part of the team plans long term. They will know if they can sign him to an extension after the 1yr deal before they tender the offer sheet or if he plans on going to UFA regardless.

Edited by Provost, 30 June 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#76 BiasedCarrot

BiasedCarrot

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

I want Garrison just because every time he scores Jay Onrait makes a South Park reference. But realistically Suter is the best choice.

#77 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,025 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

I voted Hamhuis.

Anyways this is what I would like to see for next year regarding our D situation:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Allen-Tanev

307mg00.jpg

#78 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

We need a quality dman more than anything else. It looks like we've lost Rome and probably Salo so if they don't aquire a fairly good defencemen there's gonna be a world of hurt next year. That's if there's a season next year ?

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#79 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

For those who voted Dan Hamhuis...

Our best defenseman didn't play virtually the whole Cup Finals and made a bad giveaway to end our 1st round series against LA?

This is just my point. We need "A Guy". I know this "Guy" isn't easy to come by, but damnit I want "him".

You must have missed the entirety of the past two seasons. He's one of the best defensive defencemen in the game.

Posted Image

#80 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

what this team needs is a new city where fans aren't stupid trolls that expect nothing less than a 100% success rate and sit around on forums all summer long trash talking Canuck players and knowing better than the GM

Sad truth!

#81 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

What we need is solid #4 and #6 d-men who have chemistry with Edler and Tanev at #s 3 and 5.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#82 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

I can't believe a few people voted "not one standout" when a team out there would love to have the defence we have right now. Yeah, we might need a signing this off-season but if you look at the names in our D, other teams would drool to have them all on the same team.

This planet is whacked.

They are pretty good, but they have some fairly obvious shortcomings.

Not nasty enough, Bieksa is the only guy who consistently mixes it up. For example, if an opposing player bumps the keeper he needs to be sent on his ass without hesitation.

Not big enough. Against a team like LA with a ton of large forwards they have serious problems.

Lacking size wouldnt be a problem if they had an excellent puck moving defenseman or two, but they do not. The quickest guys like Ballard and Bieksa are prone to giveaways.

Like I said they are pretty good; but the weaknesses are there, and opposing teams seem to be well acquainted with them.

#83 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

We need a #1 D. Doesn't look like we have drafted one...

Try for Suter. If doesn't work out, then try for Weber.

Here's another take - maybe we got blown out in the SCF games cause our D weren't capable of doing it at that point.... What was left of them anyways. We need a star on the blue line who can get it done. Who avoids those hits naturally and can stay healthy. Lidstrum never got hurt cause he never got hit. All these elite D are the same to some extent...

Edited by canucksnihilist, 01 July 2012 - 08:58 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.