The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've had budgies with longer memories..........

Bodee

I can see the OP's point. We need a number one defenseman and Garrison isn't it. Truth be told, he may be nothing more than a depth defender who had a nosebleed season playing alongside Brian Campbell.

However...

I know everyone around here is tired of hearing the name Shea Weber, but I still believe he is headed Vancouver's way one way or another; perhaps the Garrison signing will help facilitate that move sooner rather than later.

Looking at the defense now, Gillis can afford to use Edler as the centerpiece of a deal with Nashville.

Maybe I'm reaching. Either way, the Garrison signing is a 'wait and see' move IMO. It could really blow in MG's face.

As for the other point, he's bang on. The Canucks need size and pushback in their top 6 forward group. But I'm pretty sure Gillis knows this, given what he has done at the draft over the last two seasons and given the deal for Kassian. It now appears that he is also making a pitch for Nash, and I'm sure a big top 6 forward is in the asking price for Luongo.

It's a bit early to freak out, don't you think?

It's only the second day of free agency, and I'm not exactly sure why you would be so upset about Garrison being signed.

He's 6'2 and 218-220 lbs, plays physical and has a cannon of a shot.

Honestly, on the first day of free agency, three tough guys were signed: Parros, Tootoo, and Carkner. Do you really think any of those three are the key to us winning a cup?

Truthfully, it's not quite fair to use LA as a reason that this team sucks. Los Angeles was NOT a real 8th seed. On paper at the beginning of the season most people thought they were a lock for their division and would have been contending for the conference, not twiddling down near the cutoff. They beat us in 5, SWEPT the Blues, and then managed to win the cup while losing a total of FOUR TIMES.

Clearly that was a case of a team finally waking up and playing to, and above their potential. That's what the Stanley Cup is all about.

Truth be told, what you want, then, is a complete re-tooling of this team. I get it, you want more snarl, but what do we do about that? Who do we sign? This thread is a lot of ranting and complaining, but who then, in your opinion do we sign or trade for to make this team have more push-back?

I admire your grit to stick with your OP and your point...I wish you were an NHL calibre player, you have the "heart of a Canuck" and could have been a more vocal Captain than the last 3 we've had. Having said that, I do agree with SOME of what you are saying (although my original reply seems as though I was ragging on you). But I will stand by my point that it is VERY difficult, in this salary cap era, to build a team with a shot at the cup. First of all, which would you rather have: "a gritty mean aggressive push-back" team that loses in the first round to a better one...or a "highly skilled keep your cool no matter what" team that loses in Game 7 of the SCF? My point is this...when you look back NO team has won back-to-back Stanleys since 1998, and only 3 teams (Detroit, Pittsburgh and Dallas) have appeared (win or lose) in consecutive SCFs.

And again...the current Stanley Cup playoff format has very little to do with who is the best team in the NHL. It simply crowns the best team in the playoffs. Since the current playoff format rewards in a "rock-paper-scissors" format then it depends on who you draw in each round. We could build a grittier team and maintain the samescoring lavels and defensive numbers...but we could draw a speedy team in round 1 that simply walks around us and "boom goes the dynamite".

Every GM in the league wants 25 guys that are 6'2" plus, 220 pounds plus, skate like Raymond, stick handle like Eberle, hit like Brown, fight like Ripper, score like Stamkos and have the the heart of Iginla...but THAT lineup would cost 200 million bucks. So EVERY GM must make compromises.

I like our team...and I like the commitment our players have made to play here, under GMMG and to play AV's system. Back to back Hart winners, Art Ross winners, Jennings winners, Selke winner, 2 time PC winners and SC Finalists...I'd say overall we ARE the best team in the NHL...and Garrison just made us better.

As for the grit needed to go deep in the playoffs...don't get me started on how much better OUR player's conditioning needs to be than any other team in the league...just based on the travel factor alone! So when you go deep into the playoffs and simply run out of gas by the SCF, well I'd say our boys layed it all out there and held nothing back.

It's a bit early to freak out, don't you think?

It's only the second day of free agency, and I'm not exactly sure why you would be so upset about Garrison being signed.

He's 6'2 and 218-220 lbs, plays physical and has a cannon of a shot.

Honestly, on the first day of free agency, three tough guys were signed: Parros, Tootoo, and Carkner. Do you really think any of those three are the key to us winning a cup?

Truthfully, it's not quite fair to use LA as a reason that this team sucks. Los Angeles was NOT a real 8th seed. On paper at the beginning of the season most people thought they were a lock for their division and would have been contending for the conference, not twiddling down near the cutoff. They beat us in 5, SWEPT the Blues, and then managed to win the cup while losing a total of FOUR TIMES.

Clearly that was a case of a team finally waking up and playing to, and above their potential. That's what the Stanley Cup is all about.

Truth be told, what you want, then, is a complete re-tooling of this team. I get it, you want more snarl, but what do we do about that? Who do we sign? This thread is a lot of ranting and complaining, but who then, in your opinion do we sign or trade for to make this team have more push-back?

And to all those "fans" wishing we'd land a 7 million dollar star (be it Weber or Suter or Parise)...where's their Stanley Cup rings? They couldn't get it done with a lower salary in another city...you think if we throw them a big juicy contract, give up some of our middle pay guys and take on some AHL guys to replace them (to stay under the Cap) that they would suddenly be our saviour? Give your heads a shake...I'd rather have 10 x 4 million dollar players who sign a homer contract and WANT to be here, than a hired gun who destroys our salary balance because "he's a star a deserves a shot at the cup on a contending team". If you think the grass is greener in your neighbor's yard, try watering your own.

True that Parros, tootoo and Carkner arent going to be "the key" to us winning a cup but they will be a "pc" to us winning the cup. As Bob mckenzie put it, Brandon Prust will make his teammates in montreal play with alot more courage. While these tough players dont score and sometimes take more penalties than your average joe, they do have a phsycological impact on the other team. In particular Im thinking of the keith hit on Daniel and the facewashing of Daniel that went unanswered. I would find that somewhat embarasing if i were Daniel....dont you think? If I were Daniel id be playing alot more of a catious game!!!

It's idiots like you that ran luo out of town with your drama and negativity, Garrison is a beast, a hometown kid who wants to play here, I guarentee you he'll bring more energy and passion than anyone has brought this past season.

And to all those "fans" wishing we'd land a 7 million dollar star (be it Weber or Suter or Parise)...where's their Stanley Cup rings? They couldn't get it done with a lower salary in another city...you think if we throw them a big juicy contract, give up some of our middle pay guys and take on some AHL guys to replace them (to stay under the Cap) that they would suddenly be our saviour? Give your heads a shake...I'd rather have 10 x 4 million dollar players who sign a homer contract and WANT to be here, than a hired gun who destroys our salary balance because "he's a star a deserves a shot at the cup on a contending team". If you think the grass is greener in your neighbor's yard, try watering your own.

Guest gumballthechewy

What do you "hope" would have happened if Perry had been on the ice when Henrik was cheap shotted by Keith or when Daniel was face wiped by Marchand?

I forgot about Prust.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for the Canucks to have found a way to sign Moen and Prust, but the truth of the matter is that Moen wasn't available.

I agree that this team needs push-back, but the point is, who?

There's a difference between a career year, and a pattern of a guy on the upswing (late-bloomer).

09-10 39 games, 8 points

10-11 73 games, 18 points

11-12 77 games, 33 points

So he's showing improvement over 3 years. In addition he had 127 hits last year, isn't grit what we want? Now we look at Schultz who has 0 years in the NHL or AHL. He's shown consistency in college, but not at a pro level.

We signed Garrison for $900,000 more. Yeah the term bugs me, but that's the price to sign players these days if you hadn't noticed. Guess what, bold moves means courageous. That means Gillis has taken a risk on the deal. Throwing money at Parise or Suter isn't bold, it's a comfort level of how much money you have tied up in one guy, and if that handcuffs you going forward.

Oh and those 127 hits? Thats 24 more than Hamhuis. Not bad right?

Our biggest problem is we are going out to the free agent market to fill holes. We need to scout better both amateur and pro levels.

Honestly outside of Gradin, I'd fire our entire scouting staff. I know that sucks because there's a lot of ex-canuck players as scouts. But clearly we need people who can find talent. And find talent at late rounds of the draft so we are always reloading, not needing to rebuild. If Gillis has a weakness in drafting it's his seemingly unwillingness to draft WHL players. Especially ones from good programs that are known for developing NHL players.

That all sounds good but in effect it is inaccurate and you know it. These guys are not the best because of the money they earn........they started at the bottom like everyone else. It's their desire, their winning mentality, their skill, grit and strength of character that puts them on top.

You don't look at a player like that and assume because he hasn't won in the team he is in that he won't be a winner in an elite team like ours.

Chara gets paid so much because he is an inspirational force. The trick is not in avoiding them all but in picking the one or two of these players who will lift you up that extra level.

When fit (and motivated.....that seems to be a factor in our case) we have a great team............but it has flaws and the same ones keep popping up again and again. What do you "hope" would have happened if Perry had been on the ice when Henrik was cheap shotted by Keith or when Daniel was face wiped by Marchand?

Honestly, how many ass kickings do we have to take until we start building for a Stanley Cup?

Personally I was gutted when we didn't learn lessons after we were "molested" out of the finals.

Then I thought we would "man up" before the playoffs. We did but it turned out young Kassian was still in diapers.

We were shown the door by LA and I sat in awe as this team who finished 8th pummelled us into submission.................Ah well I thought MG will have seen this and big things will happen and steps will be taken to toughen up for next season.

But NO.

First we show interest in a College guy a strong wind would blow over.

Then we sign a top four D who has as much push back, it would seem (unless I am missing something) as Mason Raymond on a bad day.

Now idiots on here foam at the mouth about Jokinen and Versteeg

WTF!

Do we really want to win the Stanley Cup? I am seriously beginning to doubt it.

The grit / push back that makes the difference as far as I can see is NOT in the 3rd and 4th lines it's where the real battles take place...........the 1st and 2nd lines in both offence AND defence.

When is this team going to get back to basic principles. The D is for first and foremost keeping goals out of our net and ensuring our goalie is NOT molested.

The offence is for getting goals 5 on 5 and in particularly from the forward trio. We have lived for too long on the PP at this Club and it's high time we started taking names and kicking asses.

We are already known as pushovers and divers, is this an attempt to enhance our PP figures? If so we need to get our priorities right.

MG, I'm not impressed with your FIRST BIG MOVE. Unlike many on here I have a very good memory.

He's going after Doan and that I know for a fact. Depends on Doan, but that's a tough leader and a very good move. You do realize he follows a NJ method in terms of contracts, players take less to play here so the team as a whole has a higher level of talent.

He has 5 mil in his bank, Lou to go.

Relax idiot

wow they suck, only two presidents trophies in a row, and a stanley cup final. you're what gives vanc fans a reputation as whiners.

Simply using this to make a point...some "fans" on here want to grab EVERY decent F/A that comes down the pipeline. True, any one of them would be a great addition to our team, but that player alone is not what will push us over the top. And it also begs the question, at what point DOES a player become a "hired gun"? We have key players here that WANT to be here, not saying Weber wouldn't want to play in his home province, but at some point and time, if they don't buy into the team Canuck concept, then they've gotta go...speculating on Hodgson here (I know I just opened up a big old can o' worms here but it IS possible). The team concept we have here is that no one player is greater than the whole, so to bring in a player at such a high cost (both for him and to middle pay players that now must be moved or waived to make room for him) doesn't really play to that model.

The point is this: if the Sedins were on the open market, what would teams pay for them? Or Kesler? Or even Lu back when he signed the relatively low cap hit contract? These guys signed here to BE here, and be a part of something awesome. And I want THAT to be the the Canucks team I cheer for.

To have the heart of a Canuck means to have the heart of Kurtenbach, Gradin, Smyl, Odjick, Linden, Naslund, Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Higgins and the Sedins. Guys who go to battle EVERY night and proudly wear the Blue and Green. Guys who battle through injuries and play hurt and lay it all out there even when their physical abilities let them down and the fans call them out on it. We might not win every game, or every playoff round or even the Stanley Cup, but dang it, I want my team to compete for it every night.

Top 50 eh?...........Impressive..................my ass!

I would have said an Elite team and 2 times PT winner should have been aiming at top 10. I'm quite happy to wait but if this is an indication of how MG corrects the GLARING FLAWS in a team with SC aspirations, then I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

Also I note how you neatly avoid the last 2 years. This is not just a complaint about now it is an accumulative complaint about his apparent blind spot.

I'm not the only one who sees this as a terminal weakness (with reference to SC aspirations) in the team. These boards have been thick with it, as have the media............................................................. GARRISON does not address this problem imo.

Archived