The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've had budgies with longer memories..........

Bodee

Why? Well for one he goes from blaming management for signings to then somehow calling the fans idiots who disagree with him. It is a typical mindless cherry picking whinefest.

OP incase you didn't know, there was this 6'0 foot and 176 lbs guy David Krejci that had most points that 10/11 playoff season when Boston went all the way. Just because a guy is build like a freaking tank doesn't alone make him a great player. It's good to have big players, ofc, but it's a myth that they're better than smaller players in the playoffs just because they are bigger and heavier. Versteeg is a great playoff performer, that's a fact. If you're talking about struggling with scoring in the playoffs, then i can't see why you wouldn't want Versteeg when he hasn't really struggled with scoring in his whole playoff-career in the NHL.

I think everyone can agree that this team needs more snarl, but I'm going to repeat my question, and ask, who?

Every team wants guys like that. Big guys who don't take crap and can score. Tell me then, which of these players are available?

Yeah, that's what I thought. You can't just magically make these guys appear so we can sign them.

The whole hockey world knows the Canucks need to get bigger and meaner. These shortcomings have not been addressed.

The fact is that the clutch and grab hockey is back. This past season was the lowest scoring season since before the lockout. In 2005 there were eleven 40 goal scorers. This past season there were 2.

If the Canucks want to win they have to build a team like the past two champions. Easier said than done but BOS and LA builds are the model to victory.

I think everyone can agree that this team needs more snarl, but I'm going to repeat my question, and ask, who?

Every team wants guys like that. Big guys who don't take crap and can score. Tell me then, which of these players are available?

Yeah, that's what I thought. You can't just magically make these guys appear so we can sign them.

Well Gradin if you persist in proving you're an idiot with smart ass comments don't complain about it............simple.

I never understand why people like you who have little if anything to contribute to a discussion continually insist on making an erse of themselves with (what they think) are smart comments but in fact just make you look foolish.............

Have you an opinion on the post?

Have you the intelligence to compile a reply.

If not...........jog on, you won't be missed.

I admire your passion OP. I have been a member of CDC since 1998 under various user names. You cannot sway the masses away from the turn the other cheek mentality. I wonder how many of the fools on this board remember the place going nuts with chants of Gino Gino? He gave the skill guys room to play and managed to create room for himself as well.

It seems a shame however that the current pool of high end talent on this team will never have the protection of such a player to give them the room and confidence to play their game the way that they deserve.

With his recent drafting stratagy it appears that MG has finally realized that a good big man will always beat a good small man.

Ship of fools

I admire your passion OP. I have been a member of CDC since 1998 under various user names. You cannot sway the masses away from the turn the other cheek mentality. I wonder how many of the fools on this board remember the place going nuts with chants of Gino Gino? He gave the skill guys room to play and managed to create room for himself as well.

It seems a shame however that the current pool of high end talent on this team will never have the protection of such a player to give them the room and confidence to play their game the way that they deserve.

With his recent drafting stratagy it appears that MG has finally realized that a good big man will always beat a good small man.

Ship of fools

There were quite a few on the first day. Souray, Johnson, Parros, Carkner, Parenteau, Brookbank, Methot, Prust

Now I would say maybe Commodore, Semin, Arnott, Jagr(oops he's gone another good fit for the Sedins lost) and Doan are some of those left who might fit.

I thought my opinion had been expressed by the amount of thought I put into it. But I'll give you a little more. I think your thread is rather typical of this site. It lacks any real insight but rather just reactionary garbage, much like you'd hear from some drunken know it all at a bar when the Canucks are trailing after one. While their original blathering can be amusing at first, it gets tiresome. Only when they start offering solutions does the conversation get interesting. Maybe we should get Chara. Or trade Edler and Raymond for Weber, because Weber has shown to lead his team deep into the playoffs.

Who do you suggest we get today to magically create the team you want to see? Be careful you don't become one of those idiots you loathe though.

I saw Bitz demolish Clifford. I didn't see LA waste any time crying about it, they went and scored. Then I saw Brown demolish Sedin and saw Bieksa take an idiotic tackling penalty.

What is your suggestion, other than a healthy Kesler and Daniel, that would have stopped LA last year?

Out of that entire list you just mentioned, you've got Jagr and Arnott as guys who are big and can score, yet both are way past their prime, with Jagr being the only one of the two who is going to put up points.

Souray may put up points but I'm definitely not sold on the guy.

Semin and Parenteau? What are you smoking??

Parros, Carkner, Brookbank, Methot and Prust, scoring? Whaaa?

I don't care if they are around for only a year or two. We have signed a number of big prospects who seem to have the "stuff" we are looking for .............all we need is that year or two of breathing space.

Jagr is not messed about and he would have suited the Twins to a T.

Arnott would have made an excellent replacement for Kes and then dropped back to the 3rd or 4th.

Souray has gone to the Ducks.............it appears to me they are likely to be next year's Kings. We will agree to differ then.

I'm smoking nothing..........why not just explain your comment.

I would call Bodee a troll except that would imply he's just saying stupid crap to get a rise out of people. Alas I feel the truth is far worse and he actually believes in his verbal diarrhea transmuted into digital form. The senseless insults only serve to reinforce this impression.

Perhaps we should go to another thread which is holding the exact same discussion as this one, but is free from one guy drowning out any common sense with his ranting. Bodee, I can only assume your life is truly unbearable and so you hide in bizarre hockey hypotheticals.

The poster you quoted asked for "big snarly players who could score" and you listed PA Parenteau and Alexander Semin...does that really need explaining? Parenteau doesn't even way 200lbs. Semin is hardly a snarly player.

The rest of the players you listed can hardly score.

So your list consisted of 2, maybe 3 players who somewhat, not even completely, met the description he/she was asking for, divided amongst 30 teams. See the issue there?

You started out making asinine comments like you are doubting that the Canucks actually want to win a Stanley Cup...great intro...very smart. And now you spew garbage like calling PA Parenteau a big mean player who can score? (That or you have selective reading). You try to call Gillis out, I'm calling you out. There is no easy fix to add size, skill and truculence in one package to a roster. Suter is the only player who really fits that bill; however, Garrison is a big player who can put up points and plays physical, so looks like the "budgie" does maybe know a little bit about what he's doing?

I would call Bodee a troll except that would imply he's just saying stupid crap to get a rise out of people. Alas I feel the truth is far worse and he actually believes in his verbal diarrhea transmuted into digital form. The senseless insults only serve to reinforce this impression.

Perhaps we should go to another thread which is holding the exact same discussion as this one, but is free from one guy drowning out any common sense with his ranting. Bodee, I can only assume your life is truly unbearable and so you hide in bizarre hockey hypotheticals.

Out of that entire list you just mentioned, you've got Jagr and Arnott as guys who are big and can score, yet both are way past their prime, with Jagr being the only one of the two who is going to put up points.

Souray may put up points but I'm definitely not sold on the guy.

Semin and Parenteau? What are you smoking??

Parros, Carkner, Brookbank, Methot and Prust, scoring? Whaaa?

as evidenced by how we rolled over when Keith cheap shotted Henrik.

Psst, Bodee...it was Daniel, not Hank that Keith took out. ;)

And the inconsistency in how the refs have applied the rules is what has made it difficult for GM's to find pieces to work within them. Remember, we're not supposed to be going the way of goonery and thugs. We had Raffi, who'd explode on anyone/thing on two skates and how did that pan out? Look what happened with Bernier...so guys who play with that edge/passion can also have it backfire in a game/series changing event. I'm sure these guys are just playing their game - one of grit and toughness, but it's a fine (inconsistent) line that means you have to find a balance.

FTR, I love that good ol' style of hard knocks hockey, but it's a risky one. Some teams can get away with it...unfortunately, we haven't been one of them so it doesn't make sense to find players based only on that criteria. I feel MG does well at this...at making calculated vs impulse moves and considering all aspects of the game, not just one dynamic.

Archived