The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongos contract doesn't look so bad anymore...

gdcanucks02

It's not about a shut out every game. It's about not completely melting down. If any of those 4 losses were kept close longer, who knows what might happen? The Bruins basically cruised through the 3rd period for their wins. If the score was close and the pressure was on things may have been very different. But instead, they had a bye in game 6. That was essentially the end.

True. But as I said the cap was considerably lower at the time. The deal also made Lou the highest paid goalie in the league and he hadn't played a single playoff game nor won a major award. Brodeur had signed a deal at the time with a $4.5m cap hit. And he actually had won Stanley cups and Vezina trophies. Lou was overpaid.

I don't think $4m for Schneider is out of line. And I like the term much better.

He's no longer a top ten goalie - why do people insist on continuing to labour under this illusion? He was 17th in goals against, while his teammate playing in front of the same team was 3rd. His cap hit at 5.3 for this year is not too outrageous, but there are 10 long years left in that contract, many of those years will take place after he is no longer of any practical use to anyone as a goalie. Of course, if we could pay a low revenue team having a hard time reaching the cap floor, to take him off our hands, we could yield a lot more for him in the form of returning players. Such teams are not concerned about the upper cap limit, but they are concerned about the actual cash outlay of such a contract.

The contract has never looked bad for those who bothered to actually look at the details and not base their opinions on the rantings of media hacks.

As has been pointed out, the $5.33 Million per season cap hit puts him 9 highest in the league in terms of cap hit. The contract has also always had trade windows, one after 5 years (2013 - 2014) that can be initiated by Lui, and the other after 7 years (2017 - 2018) that can be initiated by the team.

The biggest obstacle for certain teams (Florida for one) interested in Lui is not the cap hit, but the

$41 million in actual dollars out the door over the next six years.

Get off of Lu's back, I hope he stays just to piss all of his haters off, the guys a 10, any canuck fan knows that, he's made some mistakes of course, every Canuck has. He's been treated like crap for so long he can't even get excited about playing infront of his home crowd anymore so he's moving on, lets leave him alone and let him go quietly, so we can prepare for his return in 3 year :D

Yes there is no excuse for melting down. Game 3, 8 GA, not acceptable. Poor performance by Luongo, game 7 was also pretty bad, but again the Canucks could not score even 1 goal. But those other games, a lot of those goals were prime scoring chances - Why is the goalie solely blamed for goals which came from chances where most goalies wouldn't have a hope in hell stopping? The fact is our D had severe melt downs as well throughout the series.

I'm not excusing Luongo for contributing to the loss against Boston which ultimately cost us the Cup, I'm just saying the blame should be on everyone.

With all the money being thrown at players these days, I dont see what the big deal is about Luongo's contract. These big money, long term deals are given on the belief that these players are elite and are a good piece to have if you want to win a couple cups over the next decade. (see crosby, kovalchuk, ovechkin, staal quick, parise, suter, rinne, and the always humourous dipietro).

Luongos annual cap hit is 5.3 million dollars, barely above dennis widemans. I know everyone is dying to win a cup and are very critical with every year that passes, but its coming. Last years run was awesome and unfortunately ended badly, but it should have instilled in this fan base that we had a team that was capable of winning not one, but at least 2 over the course of the next couple years.

Luongo is a very, very good goalie and I am so disgusted with how some people have treated him. If last year was an off year (.919 S% and 2.41 GA, 5 SO) then It blows my mind that people can doubt his ability. Yes he has had some bad games in the playoffs, but he has also had some pretty phenomonal games (2 SO in stanley cup final). The team did not play very well in the final and yet all the blame goes to 1 man. Since coming to Vancouver, he has 32 PLAYOFF WINS!!!!!!

Luongo basically getting pushed out by the media and the fans further shows that the goalie graveyard in Vancouver is in full effect. we had a chance to win a cup with Luongo and are essentially starting over with a rookie goalie who has yet to prove he can carry a team. Im not knocking his ability because i do believe he is an excellent goalie, but it is still somewhat of a gamble.

Fans need to ask themselves if they are willing to wait with schneider because i can guarantee, if we dont win in the next 3 years, we will be back in the exact same position as we are in right now, with Lack outperforming our starter under no pressure and we will have another unproven rookie goalie.

the bottom line is, im not the craziest about the length of these contracts, but at 5.3 million we should be so lucky to have one of the best goalies in the league.

Please leave open and discuss, I dont want this getting barried under a massive thread.

I honestly believe God or some higher force is punishing us with Luongo.

I believe a cult "the branch Luongians" carry out this punishment in these threads

Anyone that thinks 10 or 1 more years of this chokebag is a good deal is completely under the spell of the branch Luongians.

He is our backup to CS and should be paid 900k tops.

I would trade him for Scott Gomez or Wade Redden if it ment I would never have to see his starfish belly flop ever ever again. Or his look to the heavens when he lets in a bank shot from behind the net.

Worst contract by far in Canucks history.

his old contract one of the best, back then he did change the franchise

I can almost feel this spell is nearly broken, but I doubt it

we are not that lucky.

Fans in this city don't deserve an elite superstar goalie of Luongo's calibre.

He legitimized this franchise when this team was in the craps. Fans in this city will never be grateful for what Roberto has done for this team.

The contract has never looked bad for those who bothered to actually look at the details and not base their opinions on the rantings of media hacks.

As has been pointed out, the $5.33 Million per season cap hit puts him 9 highest in the league in terms of cap hit. The contract has also always had trade windows, one after 5 years (2013 - 2014) that can be initiated by Lui, and the other after 7 years (2017 - 2018) that can be initiated by the team.

The biggest obstacle for certain teams (Florida for one) interested in Lui is not the cap hit, but the

$41 million in actual dollars out the door over the next six years.

I am not a Luongo fan, he is not the Canucks

SUN-SENTINEL.COM: Mike Berardino reports bring back Roberto Luongo could make sense for the Florida Panthers, as his off-season home remains in Parkland, close to his wife's family, and he's rumored to have told Canucks management the Panthers are his only acceptable destination. A Panthers source believes time is on their side. "If they can get Luongo for little more than future draft picks, it could be worth the Panthers' while to roll the dice and assume his contract", writes Berardino.

A little more than picks for a elite playoff performer with a not so bad contract?

It isn't about negativity towards Lou from my POV. Van had to make a choice and they went with Schneider because of his potential and his new contract which is less money and shorter term. I like the move because SChneider's game IMO his fundamentally stronger than Lou's. Might be wrong but time will tell.

Suggesting Van owes Lou more is stretching it a bit. He got a league leading contract in its time. This is a business and I am happy that Van is not prepared to maintain status quo but are actively looking for ways to get the CUP. A Lou trade will hopefully bring back that piece that takes Van over the top.

It has never been about his contract , for the Canucks. It's all about cirumstance and situation. This last year with Cory getting the call to take over for Luongo in the playoffs and how the team lost the year before in Boston puts Luo in a bad situation; like most people in that kind of situation you would be thinking or wanting a new start.

The time has come for Luo to move on, most of the fan base wants it and I believe Lou and the Canucks see it as the best thing for Luo.

His contract is only working against him, because other GMs are smart to use the length of the contract to under play his worth in a trade. Plus although his regular season stats are oustanding and among the best in NHL history, his playoff stats are not. He has had two runs to the Stanley Cup finals and has not been the best goalie on the ice in both of those 7 game series.

As much as people want to defend Luo in those Stanley Cup finals by saying the team in front of him was the cause, he still was not the better goal on the ice. In the most part, the Canucks where not the better team or Luo and the team could not raise their play to match the other teams performance.

Archived