The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captain vs. Captain

whytelight

To start things off, I am in no was bashing our leadership group. Henrik Sedin is as classy, honest, and fair as Captains get. The leadership he showed after the Brown hit was akin to Trevor Linden.

However, when I saw our Captain get hit by their Captain I knew that was perhaps a turning point in the series. What got me upset even more, is the non-response from our team AFTER the hit. Who went looking for retribution after the hit? I didn't see any.

Now, I do understand that the coaches dictate player performance and behaviours on the ice and that might have been the message sent ("just play hockey guys, focus on the game, etc...)

But, in my opinon, I would have loved our Captain to have taken out the other Captain in the same manner.

To start things off, I am in no was bashing our leadership group. Henrik Sedin is as classy, honest, and fair as Captains get. The leadership he showed after the Brown hit was akin to Trevor Linden.

However, when I saw our Captain get hit by their Captain I knew that was perhaps a turning point in the series. What got me upset even more, is the non-response from our team AFTER the hit. Who went looking for retribution after the hit? I didn't see any.

Now, I do understand that the coaches dictate player performance and behaviours on the ice and that might have been the message sent ("just play hockey guys, focus on the game, etc...)

But, in my opinon, I would have loved our Captain to have taken out the other Captain in the same manner.

Our captain isn't a moron who will take a penalty for the team. Our captain isn't a retard who will get revenge by taking out a player. Our captain isn't what you would define a captian, infact, our captain is one who leads by example and doesn't have to play aggressively to make his presence felt. Our captain is one who will make teams pay on the scoreboard and not with his fists. Our captain is one who thinks outside the box and knows that trying to do something which he is incapable of doing would be stupid to do so he doesn't do it. ...don't tell an artist what to draw, especially to one who took us to game 7 of the SCF. Our captain is who he is, and you can't change him.

If I remember correctly, there was a response. Bieksa and Burrows went after Brown but Brown hid behind Kopitar and a bunch of other LA Kings. Brown then allowed his best player (Kopitar) to fight Burrows instead of standing up for himself.....

Not much we can do about other players stepping into a fight

Have other teams taken on Brown after a gig hit. Yes.

Has it caused Brown to change his game? Not at all.

Has it stopped Torres? Nope.

Has Ballard stopped hip checking? Nope.

Has changed any big hitters game? Nope.

I honestly think that the desire for "a response" to a big hit has more to do making you feel better than anything sensible related to the game. It does not change the way those hitters play. It typically just hands them a PP opportunity.

Have other teams taken on Brown after a gig hit. Yes.

Has it caused Brown to change his game? Not at all.

Has it stopped Torres? Nope.

Has Ballard stopped hip checking? Nope.

Has changed any big hitters game? Nope.

I honestly think that the desire for "a response" to a big hit has more to do making you feel better than anything sensible related to the game. It does not change the way those hitters play. It typically just hands them a PP opportunity.

1. It was a pretty clean hit. It was hard but clean. If we go after every player that delivers a clean hit, then we might as well go and watch some wrestling, ufc fighting etc. which I really do not enjoy

2. We had possession of the puck. Why would we throw the puck away in a scoring opportunity to go after Brown or any player for that matter.

3. When the whistle went (and as such our offensive opportunity was gone on the play) Bieksa looks to go after Brown a bit and want a piece of him. (10-15 seconds in)

Other players trying to get into a fight or landing cheap shots after a perfectly good hit is disgusting and not hockey. A good hit is a good hit, leave it at that.

The proper way to seek revenge would be to target Brown with heavy hits, particularly from our defence who are matched up against him, or to score on him when he's on the ice. The Canucks did neither.

How much more grit are you expecting from Hank? Sure it'll be good if he became a Peter Forsberg during the playoffs, but that's not his game-- when Hank wants to get even, he CAN hit the guy back (which he's done before and is good to see as he's standing up and asserting himself as long as it's not over the line), but a better way to do so, as he's been doing lately, is to burn them on the power play.

It's like expecting Gretzky (Hank, though only in terms of playing style) to take out Lemieux or Messier (Brown) physically. Rare, but it could happen. Just don't hold your breath :P

It doesn't matter if the hit was legal or not, rules are written so grey anyways. And that's before human interpretation is added. My humble opinion, as a couch potato, (haha) it was a dirty hit. The NHL rule states if a player is engaged in a puck battle with another, a third can't come in and clear him out. That's paraphrased as all hell. lol However it happens in the NHL all the time. The second reason I didn't like the hit was that Brown began to set himself up for the hit, long before before Hank was turned. In that aspect it appeared like a predatory hit. But it's all done now.

The thing is, big hits change the momentum of a game, especially against a teams best player/captain. The response from the Canucks shouldn't have been a Bertuzzi retaliation, but they wilt a bit too much and that's where Canucks get their name of being soft. And the response was never about changing the way Brown plays, that won't happen. But it would be about a message to both teams.

I know from playing and coaching, when your teammates stick up for each other there's a unique psychology that bonds the team, and makes their resolve much greater.

Responding on the score sheet is a great philosophy, but how's it worked out so far?

A full team effort in the physical department would have been great. The empathy tells the other team it's open season and we'll roll over them. And that's what the last two teams did to us in the play-offs.

Other players trying to get into a fight or landing cheap shots after a perfectly good hit is disgusting and not hockey. A good hit is a good hit, leave it at that.

The proper way to seek revenge would be to target Brown with heavy hits, particularly from our defence who are matched up against him, or to score on him when he's on the ice. The Canucks did neither.

I don't get how you expect this to happen. Brown vs. Sedin = two completely different players. When have you ever seen the Sedins go out and hit someone after they've been hit.

Their best response to that is that they take that s**t and still produce points.

I'm also disappointed that no one else stepped up and did anything about it. But this I think comes from the coaches - to as you said, 'just play hockey'

But I think you can get revenge and play hockey at the same time....just don't be a goon and get an instigator penalty.

This is as close as you'll get to our Captain taking out their Captain.

But you gotta understand that Brown and Sedin are totally different players..so I don't think you would see our captain taking out theirs...

Archived