The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we go into next season.............

Bodee

Sees ".............." in topic title. Expects Bodee thread.

Seriously though, the Canucks have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Garrison in the top 5, and then Tanev will make a huge push for that 6th spot (not a bad player), Sauve wants some NHL time, Alberts is always there to cover injuries/scratches and Connauton might even get a shot if he has a good camp/AHL season.

I don't understand people like yours point of view (and not an insult here, a serious question).

Why would we trade Edler and Ballard and another player for a guy who's going to be a UFA next year? Why would you not wait and sign him next year? If he's going to sign here, don't give up anything and just be patient, he will still be in our window of oppty for the cup,

You also sign Edler and now you have arguably the best back end in the NHL.

Weber/Bieksa

Hammer/Edler

Garrison/Tanev

With Connaughton/Sauve/Corrado coming in at times to continue to develop as the 7th man. Ballard likely goes in this scenario to make room for Edler's contract.

I just don't get why you'd trade our best young dman for another one? Especially when we could potentially have both??? Or alternatively neither...ie until you know Weber is signing long term in Vanc you'd never move Edler...makes zero sense...

Can you please explain your logic bec it makes no sense to me.

EDIT: Ok perhaps its not meant to make sense, I just read the bottom, "This is still with Lou in the lineup"...umm dude? Lou is being traded? Hello? What planet are you on?

All we need right now is a #5 or 6 defenceman and an offensively skilled center.

Our top-4 defence is great right now but Ballard-Tanev are not built for the playoffs as we have seen the last 2 seasons. They are not big enough or physical enough to contend with giant forwards who play hard. This is why these guys don't look too bad during the regular season, but when the intensity gets increased they struggle. We need a big, physical defenceman like Jurcina, Kubina or Vandemeer on the back-end, or give Alberts some playing time over Tanev.

As for centers, we have 2 centers in the organization who I would call "offensively skilled". Schroeder and Gaunce are way off, Malhotra didn't even score 10 goals last season and Lapierre is not a scorer by any means because his game is too distracting. We have to replace Hodgson's loss because it was a big one, and there are options like Morrison, Wellwood, Arnott and Hecht (my personal favourite, extremely underated) who are much more offensively talented.

Of course we could just acquire these 2 minor pieces through a trade with one of our goalies, but Luongo or Schneider could get us so much more which is why we should just sign some cheap, rental UFA's. A defenceman like Colaiacovo, Kubina or Jurcina would cost this team around 2 million, and a 3rd line center like Hecht would be around 2 as well. Combined they would easily be under 6 million which is what we have to work with right now.

I'm happy going into the season without a 3rd line offensive center and a big physical depth defenceman, but not the playoffs. If we don't get these pieces now we'll need them by the trade deadline.

Voynov... Martinez... Greene...

Those guys aren't even all that good. All champs though.

If you take all the pressure off your defense and they'll all automatically start performing fantastically. The Kings had tremendous corsi by the end of the season and into the playoffs. Part of that was Sutter. Part of that was their deadline deals. It's why their 'cinderella run' wasn't a cinderella run at all.

I'm on planet earth, I know all signs point to Lou being traded but untill it happens it's still just a sign. If a gm comes with a massive deal for Schneider do you not think it would be considered. We have a all star gold medal wining goalie with years still left in his prime. We have the next big name in Schneider and arguably the best prospect goalie in lack. In the back of gillis mind he might be thinking keep Lou for four more years, develope lack, and get big names for schnieder... Just a possibility...

Edler is our best d man, I hate to say it but I doubt he will take a home town discount. I see him going the way of erhoff wanting big bucks and there are teams out there that would pay it. Ballard is a good d man but we are lacking size on the back end. Webber is going to be on the market for anyone to bid on. If he is already in Canucks colours we will have a better chance of landing him

Long term. Let's look at next season as well shall we. Edler, big bucks... Bieksa makes 4.6, Ballard makes4.5, garrison makes 4.6, hammer makes 4+... Get rid of the salary of a d man that's bottom pairing if he pays in Ballard, and a potential 5.5 million man next year. Sign webber to hopefully a 5.5 and start brining up our young d core a bit.

That's why I'm ok with trading Edler, he is replaceable and getting bigger and stronger is a good thing. Untill Lou gets felt don't think about who is coming back, from his own lips he's said he has not even been given a list of possible teams to be traded to do I take that as we aren't that close to a deal...

I think right now going into the start of the season we are a bit weak. What I would like to see....

We need a top D man, the man that would look best in Canucks colours would be webber. I know his name is used a lot and it doesn't seem likely but it is. Elder is in the last year of his contract and is going to be looking for a big raise. Package Edler, Ballard and a farm player for webber. Press will able to resign Edler at the salary he wants, and he will sign there if the money is offered.

Webber- Bieksa

Garrison- hammer

Tanev- connaughton

Sign Doan today.

Sedin-Sedin-kassian/burrows

Booth-Schroeder-Doan

Hansen-lappy-Higgins/kassian

Ebbet-malhotra-plug

Schnieder/Lou

This is still with Lou in our line up, it gives our D more size on the top four without sacrificing points with Edler and Ballard gone. Fills our top six forwards into a high scoring smart set of lines. With the possibility of a Lou deal happening which it will once the other GMs realize Lou's contract is actual good. 4 more years and then there are out clauses, he's top five in the NHL and only at a 5 mill hit, that's less than price, kipper which are not better.

Sees ".............." in topic title. Expects Bodee thread.

Seriously though, the Canucks have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Garrison in the top 5, and then Tanev will make a huge push for that 6th spot (not a bad player), Sauve wants some NHL time, Alberts is always there to cover injuries/scratches and Connauton might even get a shot if he has a good camp/AHL season.

I'm on planet earth, I know all signs point to Lou being traded but untill it happens it's still just a sign. If a gm comes with a massive deal for Schneider do you not think it would be considered. We have a all star gold medal wining goalie with years still left in his prime. We have the next big name in Schneider and arguably the best prospect goalie in lack. In the back of gillis mind he might be thinking keep Lou for four more years, develope lack, and get big names for schnieder... Just a possibility...

Edler is our best d man, I hate to say it but I doubt he will take a home town discount. I see him going the way of erhoff wanting big bucks and there are teams out there that would pay it. Ballard is a good d man but we are lacking size on the back end. Webber is going to be on the market for anyone to bid on. If he is already in Canucks colours we will have a better chance of landing him

Long term. Let's look at next season as well shall we. Edler, big bucks... Bieksa makes 4.6, Ballard makes4.5, garrison makes 4.6, hammer makes 4+... Get rid of the salary of a d man that's bottom pairing if he pays in Ballard, and a potential 5.5 million man next year. Sign webber to hopefully a 5.5 and start brining up our young d core a bit.

That's why I'm ok with trading Edler, he is replaceable and getting bigger and stronger is a good thing. Untill Lou gets felt don't think about who is coming back, from his own lips he's said he has not even been given a list of possible teams to be traded to do I take that as we aren't that close to a deal...

What have you been smoking. Alberts isnt physical? He is easily the most physically punishing defenceman we have, and when he hits people they feel it. You want to talk about playoffs from 2011? He played all of 3 games in the playoffs before inserted into the lineup in the finals, what kind of performance were you expecting.

Tanev will be a pretty good defencemen, but you are comparing apples to oranges. You need depth on the blue line. And Alberts is just that, depth.

Alberts is a very good 7-8 dman, and easily the most physical of any defencemen we have. Alberts takes a beating on these boards, when in fact he is no where near as bad as people make him out to be.

Look at the stats on Alberts..his stats are better than that of Ballard.

What have you been smoking. Alberts isnt physical? He is easily the most physically punishing defenceman we have, and when he hits people they feel it. You want to talk about playoffs from 2011? He played all of 3 games in the playoffs before inserted into the lineup in the finals, what kind of performance were you expecting.

Tanev will be a pretty good defencemen, but you are comparing apples to oranges. You need depth on the blue line. And Alberts is just that, depth.

Alberts is a very good 7-8 dman, and easily the most physical of any defencemen we have. Alberts takes a beating on these boards, when in fact he is no where near as bad as people make him out to be.

Look at the stats on Alberts..his stats are better than that of Ballard.

Let's say we get weber next year in free agency I think the least that he would sign for and that's a long shot is 6.5 but i dont think thats enough if we get him I see us signing him between 7 -7.5 mil range 7 or 8 year deal which I don't see happening cause gillis said that no one gets paid more than the sedins he could sign for 7mil cause of the hometown factor cause lets face it he could easily make 7.5 to 8 mil on the open market the only way I see weber playing here is if he takes a massive discount for like 6 million a year that I would do but the problem is weber wont because he"s worth way more than that and that's why I see him not coming here.

Archived