Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

ICBC hit and run

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I was at guildford library today for drop in basketball. Long story short, I got home and I found a huge dent on my right rear bumper of my ford free star. What steps should I take? I was planning on reporting it to ICBC tomorrow. Will the police be involved? I don't think there were any witnesses and if there were they are long gone by now. If anybody knows the process and what will happen next your advice is appreciated
Posted Image

#2 Guest_AriGold_*

Guest_AriGold_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Report it as a hit and run to ICBC. You will pay the deductable. They will investigate you to see if you were drunk and dented the car yourself. They might get intrusive but if you are telling the truth then you will be just fine.

Edited by AriGold, 09 July 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#3 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Don't forget to go back to the scene and see if any of the local stores or warehouses had any cameras looking on to your vehicle, maybe catching the perpetrator.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Will the police be involved?

The police don't even get involved with most regular motor vehicle accidents unless somebody is injured or if it's blocking traffic. ICBC will want you to make a police report and get a file number, but it probably ends at that for police involvement.
Posted Image

#5 Deep

Deep

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you hit a cement median don't claim it. It is very obvious and you will be scrutinized on future claims.

#6 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,653 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Don't forget to go back to the scene and see if any of the local stores or warehouses had any cameras looking on to your vehicle, maybe catching the perpetrator.

Not the person's responsibility - unless they are trying to prove that something happened.

If you claim a hit and run - and ICBC says 'nope, you hit something'... then you would start to look for stuff like that, otherwise it's ICBC or the Police's responsibility to find that out.
Posted Image

#7 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

I had a hit and run. Didn't even notice it until my sister told me 2 days later. The cost of the damage is cheaper the deductable. So it sucks. Just hope karma hits them.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#8 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

I got one at the airport and the guy left a note but the license, name and, number were fake. Sneaky bastard.
Posted Image

#9 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I got one at the airport and the guy left a note but the license, name and, number were fake. Sneaky bastard.

that happens alot if there are witnesses around.. so the person pretend to write down the info so other ppl don't get involve..

#10 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,782 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

You could've saved that note for evidence and sent it to police for forensics (fingerprinting, DNA testing ect.). Maybe they could've identified the culprit and you would've gotten the last laugh :bigblush:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#11 DoorKnob

DoorKnob

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

You could've saved that note for evidence and sent it to police for forensics (fingerprinting, DNA testing ect.). Maybe they could've identified the culprit and you would've gotten the last laugh :bigblush:

Yeah. Life works like that. It's CSI all the time.

#12 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I heard they are going to "investigate"

What will they do?
will they visit the scene?
Look for cameras?
interview people?

thanks
Posted Image

#13 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I heard they are going to "investigate"

What will they do?
will they visit the scene?
Look for cameras?
interview people?

thanks

If I were you I'd go to the scene and try and track down as much evidence, including footage, as you can. If ICBC decides you are at fault, they may not make as big of an effort to obtain footage as you would. Also, by the time ICBC gets around to looking for footage, it may be destroyed already.

Also, how much damage was done to your bumper? It may be cheaper to repair the car yourself than pay the deductible, which is usually $300 (unless you've paid for an alternative insurance plan).

#14 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

If I were you I'd go to the scene and try and track down as much evidence, including footage, as you can. If ICBC decides you are at fault, they may not make as big of an effort to obtain footage as you would. Also, by the time ICBC gets around to looking for footage, it may be destroyed already.

Also, how much damage was done to your bumper? It may be cheaper to repair the car yourself than pay the deductible, which is usually $300 (unless you've paid for an alternative insurance plan).

Why would they deem me at fault? I was not in the car when it happened.
And I already got an estimate on the damage and its about $1000
How often is video "destroyed" and why would it be?
Posted Image

#15 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Because they might try to get out if paying. ICBC is extremely sleezy.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#16 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

This will backfrie on you , ICBC won't really give two sh*ts about a small bump or they will put you at blame for a false report. Hopefully, you'll be lucky and get a that bumper fixed :)

* if you drive a beater don't waste your time but if you don't then you have a chance at getting that grand

* Assuming a beater (no car alarm?)

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL  medium.png - CDCFL

#17 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

This will backfrie on you , ICBC won't really give two sh*ts about a small bump or they will put you at blame for a false report. Hopefully, you'll be lucky and get a that bumper fixed :)

* if you drive a beater don't waste your time but if you don't then you have a chance at getting that grand

2005 freestar
They will blame me for a false report? Why?
Posted Image

#18 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

2005 freestar
They will blame me for a false report? Why?

Have you really never heard of the several horror stories of dealing with ICBC?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#19 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

ICBC may deem you at fault for a couple of reasons:

1) By deaming you at fault, they can then increase your insurance rates. ICBC is a for profit company, and it's employees are given incentives to increase profits.

2) Unfortunately there are a lot of people who make up stories when it comes to ICBC claims. ICBC may then group you in with these people and deem you at fault.

As for the video. I'm assuming it would be from a private business of some kind. The store isn't forced to keep the video, and I doubt any business wants to have video of every moment stored somewhere. That's expensive and a pain in the A. Different business will have different policies as to how long they keep video around. They may only keep it around for a week, unless there is an incident reported.

Basically, my point is when dealing with an insurance company, you should always try to provide as much evidence as possible to support your claim. The longer you wait the more likely it is that evidence is destroyed.

#20 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

It is a fairly large dent with a couple of rips on the side
Posted Image

#21 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Freestar isn't bad. I'd say go ahead with the claim but don't makeup no bull and you'll be fine.

* Damage seems significant

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL  medium.png - CDCFL

#22 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

It sounds like a fair bit of damage. More than just a vehicle backing up into you. To make that kind of dent you'd expect them to be travelling at a significant speed. Weird noone saw it.

#23 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Because they might try to get out if paying. ICBC is extremely sleezy.

This, this, this. So much this.

They called me telling me that they were ready to pay me x amount for my car. They phone back 5 minutes later saying that they've made a mistake and they'll phone me back next week after they go over the case again (or something like that). Two months later and I haven't heard anything from them. Tried phoning them multiple times and they ignore my calls.

Good luck to you OP. You'll need it.

#24 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

So I went to check out if it was caught on film and sadly, the camera didn't cover the area where I was parked

Edited by thatguy17, 10 July 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.