Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Kesler and our Power Play

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#31 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,960 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I think the PP is more of a reward for players, as its a very high likelihood of success...as long as our firepower is on the ice, meaning Twins, Kes, Burr in some combo or other on two PP squads, then our PP will do nicely...

Five on Five though...what do we do with the second line???? I am of a mind that Burrows really could fire up that second line a lot. I would like to see him and Kesler reunited 5v5 for a season, obviously what do we do on the Twins right wing then? No suggestion yet, but Booth Kesler Burrows would be a formidable 2nd line, I think, and the twins alone are a formidable top line...heck they did great with Taylor Pylon as their winger...why not try Kassian up there, lol the worst that can happen is that he scores via pucks bouncing off his torso every 10 minutes of ice time.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#32 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

the powerplay fell apart, teams pick up on the ol' drop pass cycle game, try shooting more.

Posted Image

#33 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I think the PP is more of a reward for players, as its a very high likelihood of success...as long as our firepower is on the ice, meaning Twins, Kes, Burr in some combo or other on two PP squads, then our PP will do nicely...

Five on Five though...what do we do with the second line???? I am of a mind that Burrows really could fire up that second line a lot. I would like to see him and Kesler reunited 5v5 for a season, obviously what do we do on the Twins right wing then? No suggestion yet, but Booth Kesler Burrows would be a formidable 2nd line, I think, and the twins alone are a formidable top line...heck they did great with Taylor Pylon as their winger...why not try Kassian up there, lol the worst that can happen is that he scores via pucks bouncing off his torso every 10 minutes of ice time.

I agree. Good post.
Posted Image

#34 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thats a bold statement, I havent seen much from kassian that would make me want to put him on the PP, I like Kass but he needs to smarten up his game, I dont know how u cant see hansen being a difference on the PP

Hansen has hands of stone. Great forechecker but he isn't a natural scorer from what I can tell. Kassian has a big frame and can likely handle the pounding better than Hansen. With that said I agree we don't have a huge body of Kassian's work to make this sort of determination.
258bdr6.jpg

#35 cup_or_bust

cup_or_bust

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'd rank our forwards in terms of abilities in front of the net as follows (based on all of last season):

Hansen > Higgins > Burrows > Kesler > Bitz > Lapierre

Hansen is always PERFECTLY positioned at the top of the crease and is our best screener by far, but his hands aren't quite as good as say Higgins who is our best deflector by a long shot. His ability to tip pucks is easily the best on the team, but all of the top-4 here are hungry and dig for rebounds well.

However, for the powerplay I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Edler - Garrison

Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Ballard - Hamhuis

The first unit strives on shots from the point going straight through. Our best screener is planted in front of the net, the Sedins work it down low and drag forwards in with Edler as a playmaker, and Garrison bombs the goals in.

Our 2nd unit here aims for scoring off the rush or peeling off the half boards with shots from the slot, or (2nd priority) shots from Hamhuis to be deflected by Higgins. That's our team's best deflector and our team's best deflecting shot from Hamhuis who knows exactly how to slow down the shot to make it easily deflectable.

So ur saying that we should have no hands Hansen on our first power play unit. I would rather see someone like Kassian. Or someone who can park themselves in front to screen the goalie while the sedins work there magic and garrison shoots his bomb.

#36 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hansen has hands of stone. Great forechecker but he isn't a natural scorer from what I can tell. Kassian has a big frame and can likely handle the pounding better than Hansen. With that said I agree we don't have a huge body of Kassian's work to make this sort of determination.

So its decided! Kassian & Hansen will battle it out for a PP spot :D
Posted Image

#37 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

PP lines:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Edler-Garrison

Booth/Higgins-Kesler-Burrows/Higgins
Bieksa/Ballard-Hamhuis
Spoiler

#38 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Source? :bigblush:

Samjam says it is 90% done

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#39 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Source? :bigblush:

EDIT: double post

Edited by Cody Hodgson 9, 10 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#40 FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

If we manage to get Doan, so my perfect PP lineup would be :

Doan Hank Danny
Kesler Garrison

Kesler with a right handed shot, garrison with his left handed shot bomb. Both able to take naturally one timers.
Doan screening, the twins cycling.

My second PP :
Burrows -- --
-- Edler
Raymond, Higgins, Hansen, Tanev.... Whoever you want BUT neither Booth or Bieksa.

Booth has absolutly no hands at all, and Bieksa just cant aim. Always misses the net by a mile.
Posted Image

#41 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'd rank our forwards in terms of abilities in front of the net as follows (based on all of last season):

Hansen > Higgins > Burrows > Kesler > Bitz > Lapierre

Hansen is always PERFECTLY positioned at the top of the crease and is our best screener by far, but his hands aren't quite as good as say Higgins who is our best deflector by a long shot. His ability to tip pucks is easily the best on the team, but all of the top-4 here are hungry and dig for rebounds well.

However, for the powerplay I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Edler - Garrison

Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Ballard - Hamhuis

The first unit strives on shots from the point going straight through. Our best screener is planted in front of the net, the Sedins work it down low and drag forwards in with Edler as a playmaker, and Garrison bombs the goals in.

Our 2nd unit here aims for scoring off the rush or peeling off the half boards with shots from the slot, or (2nd priority) shots from Hamhuis to be deflected by Higgins. That's our team's best deflector and our team's best deflecting shot from Hamhuis who knows exactly how to slow down the shot to make it easily deflectable.

To not give Kesler PP time is just dumb. But I'd like Hansen to get some PP time. And Ballard.
Posted Image

#42 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I agree .. Kassian should be the net presence on the first unit and kes should run the 2nd
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#43 Hedman

Hedman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Really like the idea of Kassian playing that role on the PP. Could definitely be worth trying.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.