Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Defensive Depth Not Changing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

Agreed, Ballard and CT did well and didn't look bullied. However CT needs to put on more poundage imo. He is a bit on the light side at 6'-2" and 185 lbs. I would hope that is something he and MR are working on.
We could have had Mike Commodore for $1M but I think he has signed, could be wrong. He would have made a good 3rd line backup, he's only 32.

Yeah I agree he could put on some more muscle. He's at the age where he's going to fill out a bit more and his metabolism is going to slow down though, so I'm sure he'll manage to do it.

#32 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:17 AM

I'm interested in seeing Garrison paired with Ballard. Two ex Panthers on the same line. lol.

#33 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,163 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

Bieksa.. once he gots over 21-22 - here come boneheaded plays.

How does reducing a right side players ice time give minutes to a guy that can't play right side?

The shutdown pair (Hamhuis/Bieksa) play against the oppositions top line. Teams top line typically gets the most ice time. Which means....

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#34 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Gragnani was a wild card that Gillis talked up in lawyer like fashion but proved to be multiples less than what Gillis promised.

Rome is gone.To me it is like losing a wild card.Plays bottom pairing,strikes fear deep.Similar to the Torres loss.

Knock Sami if you want.Nobody has replaced him.Garrison is younger and bigger,but not a physical force like Rome and does not have the offensive abilities of Salo.

Lost two -gained one.

Without Hamhuis Bieksa is a three ,four d man.

Tanev is not going to hurt anyone and Alberts is not talented enough to play top six.

Ballard has to be relied upon and used effectively.

K Con is a disaster defensively and his skating ability is suspect.

Sauve was almost NHL ready before his accident and concussion.Let's hope he has healed sufficiently to become depth at the NHL leve.

#35 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Gragnani was a wild card that Gillis talked up in lawyer like fashion but proved to be multiples less than what Gillis promised.

Rome is gone.To me it is like losing a wild card.Plays bottom pairing,strikes fear deep.Similar to the Torres loss.

Knock Sami if you want.Nobody has replaced him.Garrison is younger and bigger,but not a physical force like Rome and does not have the offensive abilities of Salo.

Lost two -gained one.

Tanev is not going to hurt anyone and Alberts is not talented enough to play top six.

Sauve was almost NHL ready before his accident and concussion.Let's hope he has healed sufficiently to become depth at the NHL leve.

I agree with you on the loss of Rome. Too many fans just couldn't be bothered to notice fairly consistent and physical play of this D-man. Not sure that we have an adequate replacement yet. I haven't seen Joslin enough to say whether he could challenge Alberts for those minutes.

I don't agree on Sami however, well at least not completely.Injuries and age were definitely a factor. When healthy and rested he was good. I would have liked him back with the continuous one-year contracts that were proposed. I think it is also too early to say Garrison won't be am adequate replacement. The 16 goals he scored last year are more than Sami ever had in a single season. The move to get Garrison also makes us younger. We can't keep these guys forever.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see them move Ballard to a team that needs puck movement and mobility for a little size and sandpaper on the back-end. Av (and I'm an AV supporter) just hasn't ever used this guys attributes well in my opinion.

258o0g4.jpg

#36 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Anyone else slightly concerned that Garrison may end up in the AV's dog house like Ballard? I would hate to have a bottom pairing of Ballard - Garrison playing 12 minutes a game costing the team 9 million in cap space.

This is how I hope the pairings are formed:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev/Joslin

What needs work most is our Powerplay
pairings. Having Hamhuis out there last year made me sick. He has no offensive upside. Both Edler and Garrison have big shots, let's split
them up to maximize it.

I would love to see this:

Kassian - Sedin - Sedin
Edler - Bieksa

Burrows - Kesler - Booth
Ballard - Garrison

If you split up Edler and Garrison on the PP put Edler on the 2nd unit cause Garrison has a better shot and Bieksa and Edler on the same pairing.... I dont want to think about it

P.S.

Hamhuis-37 points
Garrison-33 points

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#37 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

I think the depth of the Canuck's defence is just fine, especially if Connauton and Sauve are ready to make the jump.

Maybe re-sign Parent or look at a Commodore-type, $1M guy for a little more depth.

Bieksa-Hammer
Garrison-Eddie
Ballard-Tanev

Alberts
Joslin
K-Con
Sauve
Mullen
Andersson
Polasek
Corrado

Out: Salo (broken), Rome, Gragnani
In: Garrison, Joslin, Mullen

Seems like the depth is fine, to me.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#38 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Ballard-Tanev is a quality 3rd pairing but perhaps skating and speed should not necessarily be the priority for the 3rd pairing. For now it's fine but I wouldn't be opposed to Ballard being dealt and replaced with a bigger, meaner sturdy presence from within the system or outside the organization.

#39 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Salo -10 year Canuck and 761 regular season games played.

Rome- 3 year Canuck and 174 reg season games played

935 reg season games of experience gone replaced by 304 games of experience in the newcomers.
Salo had 100 post season games of experience,alone.

Joslin- 114 NHL games played

Mullen -0 NHL games played

Garrison -190 NHL reg season games played

#40 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Isn't Rozival still a FA? He's the best d-man left on the market.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#41 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Lost two -gained one.

That's rich. Really. He lays out Nathan Horton and he's a physical force. Wow. If he'd taken out Chara or Lucic, maybe I'd agree with you.

Edler, Bieksa, Ballard, and Hamhuis flaunt more physicality than Rome.
Posted Image

#42 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

That's rich. Really. He lays out Nathan Horton and he's a physical force. Wow. If he'd taken out Chara or Lucic, maybe I'd agree with you.

Which is exactly why he wasn't re-signed. Aaron Rome was terrible as a Canuck.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#43 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bieksa and Eddy were kind of MIA down the stretch,not to mention the issue of salary vs Rome.

Rome had a 750k cap hit.Bieksa is swimming in champagne and Eddy will be shortly.

A shot in the dark says Bieksa is not seven times the physical d man that Aaron is.

#44 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Bieksa and Eddy were kind of MIA down the stretch,not to mention the issue of salary vs Rome.

Rome had a 750k cap hit.Bieksa is swimming in champagne and Eddy will be shortly.

A shot in the dark says Bieksa is not seven times the physical d man that Aaron is.

Don't get me wrong. If one or the other went in a trade for Weber, I would take it. Maybe Garrison might make the defense become a more competitive bunch.

Rome was cheap, but Bieksa and Edler are point producers. They need to develop consistency. If they do? We're fine.

Rome was a grinder. Nothing more. Would have been nice if the Canucks grabbed Allen though.
Posted Image

#45 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Imo we still have an Ehrhoff-sized gap to fill on defense.

I dont think this group can move the puck well enough, and I certainly dont think they intimidate anyone. The powerplay aint what it used to be.

Thats where Weber comes in (I wish)

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 17 July 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.