The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider says players not panicking over NHL offer

vancanfan

Schneider comes off as mature, intelligent, and with a lot of class. He has a degree in finance, he knows the numbers game and understands what's at stake on both sides. He knows how this works and he seems to understand that the league's proposal is merely a starting point from which to negotiate. It's a soft target from which they want the players to know where the league will be aiming. The final agreement will be somewhere between the current CBA and what they have asked for. The league knows this and so do the players. It's about give and take. When the negotiations are over and everyone walks away unhappy (the hallmark of a good business deal) the league and the game will be (hopefully) better for it.

All that said, Overhardt should keep his mouth shut. Nobody ever gains from loud mouth political posturing. Usually the ones who run their mouths are the ones who don't understand what's at stake in the larger picture or have ulterior motives. The biggest problem in negotiations like these isn't the fact that both sides need to compromise, it's the fact is that the people not willing to compromise aren't the players, it's their agents and representatives who want the biggest slice of the pie they can get to carve out their commission. Overhardt isn't concerned about establishing a sustainable agreement. His priority is maintaining high and inflated player salaries so that he can get the most out of his 10%.

Why shouldn't the players be making the majority of the profit? People don't watch hockey for the owners or the managers or the accountants.. we watch it for the game. No players, no game, no profits.

Give them the pay they are due.

The Acquilini' OBS and E franchise is now valued at 300 million dollars.

Those are last years's calculations.

The family is estimated to have over $5 Billion dollars in assets.Again,last year's Forbes quote.

Are we fortunate to have local owners? Absolutely.

Are they these nice fellows looking out after the player's and fan's interests over and above their own? Coughing on my Coors beer.

The initial ownership of the Canucks was convicted of stock fraud and spent the last two years he owned the club in prison.

Gaglardi fought for five years right to the Supreme Court to win the ownership rights over the Acquilini's and lost.

Now he owns the Dallas Stars. Tell me he is doing it because he loves Dallas or the Stars or their fans or players.

The Acquilini's are not the Santa Claus family.They run a profitable enterprise and make untold millions in annual profits with the large prize,that being the total value of the OBS and E empire,increasing their net worth a third of a billion dollars in a few short years.

$146 million in revenue in 2011

$73 million in player's salaries in 2011

http://www.thesportm...ver_canucks.htm

Mssrs. Gaglardi and Beedie were furious. "Tom Gaglardi and ourselves have been shafted and screwed," Mr. Beedie told the Vancouver Sun. They filed their lawsuit in January, 2005, alleging breach of confidence and breach of fiduciary duty.

They claim they had a deal with Mr. McCaw, and that the Supreme Court of B.C. should allow them to go back to the table and execute it.

Mr. Aquilini has since acquired the remaining 50% in the Canucks and GM Place; terms were not disclosed. He does not wish to sell his hockey franchise, which is now a Stanley Cup contender.

His former friends, he said in discovery proceedings, "were trying to negotiate a deal for a year and couldn't get it done."

He completed his deal in a matter of days. "I would be pissed off, too," said Mr. Aquilini, "but that's the way it is."

Hockey, after all, is a rough-and-tumble business.

bhutchinson@nationalpost.com

Yeah,hundreds of millions of dollars rough and tumble where the players and fans increase the wealth of the select few,the very wealthiest of all our society to begin with.

The players risk their lives.The owners play a game of wealth accumulation.The fans pay.

Overhardt will be angry at the proposal. Don't forget that shorter terms and lower salaries are the worst case scenario for an agent that earns a percentage.

My first thought on the proposal was no surprise. I'm thinking that the first point on revenue sharing is the 'throwaway' which will see a huge shift in order to get longer entry level contracts and tighter control on the length of contracts overall.

People blame the GM's for offering the contracts but let's be honest; if every other team offers Weber a 1 year $8M deal in UFA we'll all be screaming for Gillis to offer him 3 years at $8.5M. Supply and demand over rides goodwill at the end of the day.

I do labour negotiations for a living... I can tell you that the "ask for the sky" model is almost never used any more, at least when the sides actually have any interest in making a settlement. What is used now is called "interest-based bargaining" which doesn't put things like demands and numbers out there until the end. it allows for more creative solutions and the sides don't get locked into positions that don't permit an actual settlement.

That the owners put this out is definitely not a good sign, and certainly notes that there isn't a lot of common ground between the parties.

The biggest issue to me is that the league has so far refused to open up their team's books to the NHLPA so that they can actually see what the revenue is. The players basically take it on faith right now that what they get is really their share of the HRR (hockey related revenue).

The first thing that has to happen if this is to be resolved is that the players get to see into the financials of the league. Then they discuss what parts of the revenue streams should be considered HRR (concession revenue? licensed merchandise? etc). Only when they decide that can they really talk about what percent the players should get.

It is totally unfair for the folks to say it should just be 50/50 when there are massed of the revenue that the owners don't share at all. You can't compare it to the other leagues because the revenue sources are all shared differently, and none of them have the kind of hard cap like we do. The NBA is allowed to sign franchise players above that cap for example.

If the two parties haven't even started talking about these base issues, don't expect to see a deal any time soon. They are complicated and the league has never given an inkling that they are interested in being transparent with their financial information which would be required to really bargain in good faith with the players.

Yeah,I rarely watch an NHL game but it is high quality hockey.

I will go find a tv once a year to see the Stanley Cup awarded and hear Bettman get boo'd.

Junior hockey is where it is at for me but if I ever get to Europe or Russia I would love to see them play.

I enjoy finesse and skill over slash and hook.

The revenues have always been out of this world-in any era.The players just have a fair chance to divide the earnings.

One day the fans will revolt and the greed on both sides will have to be addressed but until hell freezes over.......

I would say this is a good offer....

players recieve 50% of rev.

no long front loaded contracts.

keep the ufa and rfa rules as is.

Refs are held accountable after games and have to speak to the media.

Refs call the same game weather its the playoffs or season, best team vs worst team.

Not give stars special treatment when they deliver an illegal head shot.

raise the suspension drastaclly for cheap, illegal head shots.

signing bonus stays, if the owner wants to give a signing bonus the can, and incentive bonus can be put into contracts more. eg. webber 5yr 6mil 2 mill sign bonus, if he wins norris 2 mill, if he gets more then 50 pts 1mill +- over 30 1 mill

Schnides never panics! Anyways, I'm hoping for a shortened or lost season, which could very well be the last nail in the coffin for some of the weaker teams. NHL needs to go the way of the NBA and MLB, with a soft or no cap, and no floor. The current system is broke, not unlike some of Bettman's pet teams.

The league has presented a well thought out proposal that is to their benefit. The NHLPA should counter with an equally beneficial offer, starting with the elimination of the cap so a shorter contract can still mean a 12-15M payday for top end players. The longer ELC is fine too, just raise the minimum salary to 3-4M. And instead of reducing what counts as HRR, expand it.

39million to 70million in the cap? Has the NHL really gotten better players? IMO they should reduce the cap and no contract's should allow a player to be paid more than $6-7M, per year. $6M is pretty decent but a $7, $8, $9M paycheck to take hits, deliver hits, shoot a puck, etc. is too much. That in my view is something I am hating about the league, the greed of the players.

Players like Linden, Sakic, Doan, Burrows, etc. have taken less money in the past for the love of their respective teams. Thats what the NHL needs, more classy, not all about the money, type of players.

39million to 70million in the cap? Has the NHL really gotten better players? IMO they should reduce the cap and no contract's should allow a player to be paid more than $6-7M, per year. $6M is pretty decent but a $7, $8, $9M paycheck to take hits, deliver hits, shoot a puck, etc. is too much. That in my view is something I am hating about the league, the greed of the players.

Players like Linden, Sakic, Doan, Burrows, etc. have taken less money in the past for the love of their respective teams. Thats what the NHL needs, more classy, not all about the money, type of players.

I think there are a few good ideas in the league's proposal. Firstly, the front-loaded, cap circumventing deals have to go. IMO, they are one of the main reasons we are seeing such an escalation in salaries. An agent can point to a contract like Rick Nash's and say his client with only 20 pts less, must be worth at least 5 million per...

That being said, I think the owners will have a tougher go this time around. In the last CBA, the main issue was the Cap and fans (for the most part) supported the owners. This time, the owners can no longer cry poverty. We had a stoppage based on around $40 million, which the owners said was too high. Now the Cap is projected at almost twice that and fans are all wondering why so much hockey was missed.

I think eventually, something close to a 50/50 split will be agreed upon. UFA and ELC limits will move a bit, (but not as much as the owners want) and even though no-one is talking about it yet, the NHL will return to the Olympics in Sochi.

Hopefully, we won't have to suffer through another work stoppage for it to happen.

Why shouldn't the players be making the majority of the profit? People don't watch hockey for the owners or the managers or the accountants.. we watch it for the game. No players, no game, no profits.

Give them the pay they are due.

That's all we need is a lock out so that we can prolong the lou trade talk, and the ballard trade talk, and the raymond trade talk (even though he's signed), and the Weber trade talk, and the doan signing talk, and the semin signing talk, and the eddie lack hasn't signed yet talk, and the whos our back up goalie talk, and the is gillis insane talk, and the is AV an a$$hole talk, and were will phoenix go talk and what about the free agent class of 2013 talk...anything i'm missing?

Archived