The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let`s try something new

smedsy

I don`t post on here very often at all, instead I like to read what is posted as often as possible. Today I

decided to break that trend and bring up a point that I couldn`t find posted by anyone else. if my search

failed and there is indeed a post on this existing I am sorry for starting a useless thread.....

On that note....... with all of the chat flooding the board lately regarding Weber, Luongo, Parise, Suter

the things that we are lacking, or missing entirely, It occurred to me that no one has mentioned Jamie

Benn...

I haven`t seen the stars sign him yet, not have I read anywhere that anyone else has signed him to an

offer sheet.

What is the general consensus on Mr. Benn?

I don`t know much of him, other than the fact that he made the All Star Game last year, but he is a

large body, and think he would mesh well with the Canucks system.

Thoughts?

love this guy, first got a glimpse of him when he scored 4 goals one game in the memorial cup tournament. I think he'd fit very well in burrows spot. big body goes to the net real hard. tonnes of upside. unfortunately it would be an understatement to say that it would be tough to pry him from Dallas.

Love benn to death, but there's no chance in hell of us landing him. He's been clearly regarded as the 'future' of the stars franchise, and he's just not goin' anywhere. Sucks, but still lots of talent to be looked at in the FA pool.

Jamie Benn would be an awesome addition to the Canucks. Teams have been really reluctant about signing players to offer sheets but maybe after the Shea Weber offer sheet, teams may not be so gun shy. Perhaps the Weber offer might make the Canucks more willing to go after Benn.

I say do it. Even if it's futile, I think driving up the price for Benn benefits the Canucks. Forcing DAL to match at higher than they want to.

I can see them going after one more FA this off-season. Doan, Semin, Kostitsyn, etc... And next season they're going to have even more to spend. I still can't believe they signed Larsen for less than Rome.

I made a proposal, but it was over a month ago.

Benn is going to be a star in this league If he isn't one already. That's the type of player Canucks desperately need but there is no chance in hell we get him. Stars will do whatever they can to retain him as he is the face of that franchise.

The one guy I got my eye on for next year is Milan Lucic. He's an RFA and I'd love to F The bruins over by offer sheetin Lucic. Bring back the hometown boy. No one would F with us if he's here. He might be the toughest guy in the league along with the ability to score 30 goals

And produce 60-70 points

Offer sheets are a really poor idea. It creates animosity between teams and opens up the likelihood that you could get a retaliatory offersheet in return. Even if you don't get hit with one back (a la Backes/Bernier) then it might decrease your standing with that team and other teams for future trades.

If you're going to offersheet someone, you'd better make sure you mean it and give fair warning to the team in question so they can either sign the player or start trade talks with you instead.

Benn is awesome, and exactly the type of player the Canucks need.

That being said, the reason there have been no proposals for Benn is because he's nigh untouchable. it would take serious overpayment to pry him out of Dallas.

The stars are building their team around Benn, Eriksson, Lehtonen, Goligoski and Daley.

Yes. Benn, Subban and Kane are all thanking Weber for signing that amazing offersheet. They all now have panicky gm's scrambling to lock 'em up pronto. imo They'd all match any offersheet we'd come up with. However, Subban and Kane are likely available via trade. (Prob. to a US team, as usual.)

^^ it's never a good idea to make a joke with your foot in your mouth. OP, your paragraphs are fine, in fact, it was not hard to read at all.

Staying on topic, with all the outrageous free agent signings and trades that have surprised us all this summer, anything could happen in the future. Come home JB, and enjoy the Sedinery!!

Archived