The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

I did, pretty much all of them. Luongo had a slower year this year (bad October followed by and injury in November), but was actually quite good through Dec-Feb. Schneider was good overall but had poor stats in Dec/Jan, but then was stellar in his 11 games in Feb/Mar and also pretty darn good to start the season in Oct/Nov.

You'd think Schneider would have wrestled away the job after Luongo was injured, but Luongo came back and played very well in the middle of the season. Schneider did well sharing the load, no doubt, but he was not "miles better" as smurf47 suggested in his post that I was replying to - either during the season or in the playoffs.

Did you quote yourself? :blink:

Anyways, if you want to look at individual stats in the playoffs, Schneider wins for sure. Clearly they're a foolproof indicator of who's better, right?

I guess it's a good thing for him he didn't have the team in front of him playing so poorly (see: D. Brown's 2 shorthanded goals in game 2, A. Edler's giveaways in games 1 and 2) once he was given the reins. And Daniel's first game back could never have been a factor in us winning game 4 either, as it was surely all about Schneider.

Luongo was not a reason for failure last year.

Game 1 recap:

Vigneault's comments before game 4:

One more thing, I'd bet Gillis isn't hanging up the phone when people call asking about Schneider. It's more likely Luongo gets dealt, sure, but that doesn't make it 100%. If Gillis gets blown away with an offer for Schneider, he'll consider it.

Before it was decided to start Schneider, why would they even be thinking that Luongo would be rotting on the bench?

Even if you don't want to call it a shake up (despite the obvious evidence that the team played better in games 3-5) what really changed when Schneider was picked to start? Was it only attributed to Schneider stopping pucks? Or was it that everyone started to play better? Based on the information I already posted above, it seems like the team was better and it's unfair to pin that on Luongo.

Clearly others disagree that Luongo was the problem to start the series, and facts support that he wasn't, so I'm not sure why anyone would think Schneider was "miles better" than Luongo last year.

because his stats prove it !! Something you choose to ignore. Even if you don;T understand the mechanics of , goaltending surely stats(being a measurement of success or failure) would lead, even you, to the conclusion that Schneider is better ! Thus, Canucks are trading LOU !! Get it yet ?

I applaud you and elvis15 and oldnews for keeping up the battle, but seriously it's pointless. I tried asking for proper sources pages and pages ago and was ignored. The misinformation just continues to flow. Goddamn it's no wonder the average Canucks fan is so ignorant to proper hockey sense, when you have trolls this devoted to spinning their opinions into 'fact'.

"It's time to move on" is not a demand to be traded. It's recognition of the fact that his time is likely done here. Not the same as demanding a trade.

I'm "arguing" with people because they continue to make assumptions and then post them as fact. The trade demand is a good example. I've read every post in this thread and several article written about this story and I still disagree with you and King of the ES when you say Luogo has asked to be traded "multiple times". The only direct quote I've read is this "time to move on" bit and the comment immediately after last season's end, that he would waive his NTC if asked.

If there truly are "many other quotes" as you say, then please post them.

because his stats prove it !! Something you choose to ignore. Even if you don;T understand the mechanics of , goaltending surely stats(being a measurement of success or failure) would lead, even you, to the conclusion that Schneider is better ! Thus, Canucks are trading LOU !! Get it yet ?

Why do you keep quoting yourself?

But you've clearly missed the point that Luongo vs Schneider was not the problem last season. That was a strength, because both goalies were good. If Schneider was miles better, then why didn't he play more?

Looking at stats can be suggestive but by no means are definitive. You've ignored my point that Schneider finally got the starting role after Luongo had been one of the best players on the team the first two games against LA. We didn't lose because of Luongo. Conversely, when we started playing better and Schneider was put in, it didn't help us suddenly win.

1 playoff win with a team playing better in front of him, is not miles better.

But you've clearly missed the point that Luongo vs Schneider was not the problem last season. That was a strength, because both goalies were good. If Schneider was miles better, then why didn't he play more?

Looking at stats can be suggestive but by no means are definitive. You've ignored my point that Schneider finally got the starting role after Luongo had been one of the best players on the team the first two games against LA. We didn't lose because of Luongo. Conversely, when we started playing better and Schneider was put in, it didn't help us suddenly win.

Personally, I prefer Schneider, but I pretty much prefer Schneider over anyone - there is scarcely a single goaltender in the NHL who I would rather have between the pipes in the future of the organization. Lundquist is obviously an outstanding 'beast', but Schneider has the ability/potential and so far the consistency to rival him. I prefer his technical ability and style of play over anyone that comes to mind - even Quick, imo, has a tendency to play too low - is on his knees frequently, even with the puck at the point (to get a better vantage point) - something that he might pay for over time, particularly if he faces teams with a greater net presence and bluelines that consistently manage to get the puck on net. The Canucks play great team defense, but not as exclusively as LA and New York, who protected these goaltenders to a degree the play-entertaining-hockey Vancouver Canucks didn't.

Anyway, that is my lobbying position - Schneider is absolutely a real deal kind of guy - and Luongo, who has hall-of-fame potential himself, was class enough to say exactly that.

Now, if we could all just agree to parrot this party line endlessly until we succeed in brainwashing the negative CDC dodos underming their own interests with ridiculously low trade valuations.... :P

Personally, I prefer Schneider, but I pretty much prefer Schneider over anyone - there is scarcely a single goaltender in the NHL who I would rather have between the pipes in the future of the organization. Lundquist is obviously an outstanding 'beast', but Schneider has the ability/potential and so far the consistency to rival him. I prefer his technical ability and style of play over anyone that comes to mind - even Quick, imo, has a tendency to play too low - is on his knees frequently, even with the puck at the point (to get a better vantage point) - something that he might pay for over time, particularly if he faces teams with a greater net presence and bluelines that consistently manage to get the puck on net. The Canucks play great team defense, but not as exclusively as LA and New York, who protected these goaltenders to a degree the play-entertaining-hockey Vancouver Canucks didn't.

Anyway, that is my lobbying position - Schneider is absolutely a real deal kind of guy - and Luongo, who has hall-of-fame potential himself, was class enough to say exactly that.

Schneider very rarely gets in to a situation that he has to break form. Luongo does quite regularly.

Luongo has a great glove, and scrambles well, but is constantly forcing himself to do so.

Schneider looks so calm, because he reads plays better, and is in better position when he can't see the puck.

Lu would do well behind a team like NY or Minnesota or the NJ teams of past years, but his style doesn't suit a run and gun or even the entertaining hybrid style that we tend to play.

I'd take Schneider any day. When Roloson is on his game in the playoffs, he looks pretty good, but he has such bad consistency problems. Thomas is impressive, but has such a strange Hasek like style. Miller looks similar to Luongo.

Yeah, I can't think of another goaltender (factoring in salary and age) that I would prefer over Schneider.

Luongo's comment - that if he were asked to waive, he would - or that it's time to move on, come in an entirely different context, where some of the Vancouver media seemed primed to run him out of town, and took the opportunity to suggest as much right after the conclusion of the playoff loss. Everyone has been talking about a Luongo deal for months - and would have been, regardless. If he hadn't said a thing and said "no comment" - the speculation would still be swirling.

This appears to have started with a deferential response, to the effect that if the Canucks wanted to trade him (which was really what the tone and spirit of those questions from the media were) that he would oblige and not stand in the way.

Archived