The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Haha, you and your verbatims again. You were clearly alluding to Cory Schneider with my "variance between best and worst" comment. But, I digress, you didn't say "Cory Schneider" verbatim, so there's no clear evidence that you were talking about him, right? :lol:

It's relevant because you're calling Luke Schenn a "lowball offer", which indicates to me that you're totally out to lunch, and that you're completely blind by your extreme homerism. Luke Schenn's a 23 year-old, past 5th overall pick, who's been in the league for 4 seasons. He's pretty good, and there's a lot of potential there. And if he's a "lowball", it would logically follow that you would call JVR a "lowball". So what's fair value for Lou, in your opinion, given the context of this deal? You say that Florida is where he should go; OK, for who? Based on what you're calling a "lowball", I would have to expect some sort of package involving Huberdeau, which is nuts. And I know that you said you spoke about this before, but I have no interest in sifting through 70 pages of posts to find what you wrote, so just share with us again.

Why would you be worried about this the least bit? You've already posted, a few attempts above this, that there is very little difference between the best and worst goalies in the NHL (completely laughable opinion, btw. If you want, we can go into that a bit more in detail).

You contradict yourself a lot, but it must be hard to keep all those antagonistic-at-any-cost balls up in the air constantly.

Because we're a veteran team, built to win now, and we can't take a risk that Schneider somehow can't carry the load, or can't carry the load enough in his first year or two of being a starter. To think that it'll be a seamless transition from playing 25 - 30 games a year to 60 - 65 is optimistic. "Growing pains" aren't really something that this team can afford to go through, at this point. There's urgency right now if we're serious about winning a Cup.

I think it also had something to do with the quality of shots they were facing - I mean realistically, with pylons like Phaneuf, Schenn, and Komisarek in front of them (and a no show in his own zone like Liles), what is a young goaltender to do?

Oh that's right, KofES has schooled me on this - Schenn was actually pretty good haha.

Uh, yeah, and the Leafs could afford to shop him (and shop him, and shop him until they found a taker...) because their blueline is so deep haha...

Look at the help Gustavsson had on this play - haha, one of my favorite moments of last season - can watch it over and over...Hansen blows by sleepy Phaneuf, and then again Phaneuf lets him cut straight accross in front of him and the Monster, untouched... that's their captain, in a game they actually had a prayer to win... and that's about what you get from the Leafs blueline (utter vacancy). Aside from the fact I love to see Toronto lose, I wouldn't wish this on Luongo...

Because we're a veteran team, built to win now, and we can't take a risk that Schneider somehow can't carry the load, or can't carry the load enough in his first year or two of being a starter. To think that it'll be a seamless transition from playing 25 - 30 games a year to 60 - 65 is optimistic. "Growing pains" aren't really something that this team can afford to go through, at this point. There's urgency right now if we're serious about winning a Cup.

Are you seriously saying (according to your definition), that if Schneider were to have started another 20 or so games for the Canucks last year that his GAA could have fallen from a league 2nd best of around .936 to below .900? I'm not willing to run specific stats on this hypothetical projection, but if this were to be effected, Schneider would have had to have let in about 5 goals a game average over those 20-25 games. And that's assuming that your cut-off for "so bad as to actually make a difference" equals .899 per cent. Perhaps it doesn't kick in until .870 or so?

Haha - nice try. You came up with an argument that is about as dumb as they come - (to clarily which one among the many dumb arguments you are maintaining) - the argument where you were going on about a lack of relative variation between the best and worst starting goaltenders (ironically only 22 goaltenders with over 50 starts, haha, not even one starter per team, haha). Then you were almost starting to make sense - referring to Luongo as a "proven starter." What I pointed out was the glaring contradiction (again, among many others in your posts) - and the question is perfectly legitimate - what in your opiniion is a "proven starter" then? You used a silly one player sample to claim that you can simply plug Mike Smith into Phoenix's system and all of a sudden he appears elite... 'did he forget how to stop a puck in Tampa', blah, blah? Did Bryzgalov? blah blah (who, by the way, absolutely sucked in the playoffs in Phoenix, and then absolutely sucked in this year's playoffs in Philly) . Your argument was dense - by calling Luongo a "proven starter" (which he clearly is) you simply undermined your silly little not much difference between best and worst argument, and in turn, undermined your silly little devaluation of Luongo, hoping to (prematurely, as you have no idea what the return will be) pin the tail on Gillis. Repetitive fail.

In other words - that question was clearly and entirely about Luongo and your silly theory - had nothing to do with Schneider (who didn't have 50 starts haha) - and your response is entirely predictable - an evasive 'you were clearly alluding to Schneider' blah verbatim blah. Every time you respond you wind up underlining the irony of your 'verbatim' sarcasm - you are entirely off the mark. Carry on - your resorting to an internal dialogue does have a consolation payoff - in arguing with yourself, one half of you has an opportunity to be right. For the rest of us - again - a waste of time.

And again. You just seem like you can't help yourself - and mimic your fail - "I would have to expect some sort of package involving Huberdeau, which is nuts".... Again, that is yours, alone - and verbatim.

A more popular definition of "nuts" - "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Dwight_schrute.gif

Nice video on Phaneuf, oldnews. Yeah, he sucks, I'm sure, according to you, though I suspect that his value would somehow dramatically increase, in your eyes, were it him that were coming back from a Luongo trade.

It's not hard to find videos of players looking dumb, and ignoring their otherwise typical solid play. Check out this series-clinching gaffe by the great Dan Hamhuis himself (the short-side snipe let in by Schneider isn't very encouraging, either).

Nice video on Phaneuf, oldnews. Yeah, he sucks, I'm sure, according to you, though I suspect that his value would somehow dramatically increase, in your eyes, were it him that were coming back from a Luongo trade.

It's not hard to find videos of players looking dumb, and ignoring their otherwise typical solid play. Check out this series-clinching gaffe by the great Dan Hamhuis himself (the short-side snipe let in by Schneider isn't very encouraging, either).

I'm not saying that at all - but nice inference.

The point is that it's possible. Every conceivable event has a probability. For you all to just assume that Schneider's numbers would hold up under a 65-game workload, in his rookie season as a starter, is very optimistic (though that appears to be the name of the game around here - certainly the most optimistic sports fans who's team has never won a championship).

There's no reason why a 50/50 split wouldn't work. That or a 60/40 split. Either way both goalies would be fresh for the playoffs.

We know Luongo or Schneider can win us games, they just have to make sure that both of them are okay with sharing the net.

Whoever`s playing better will get the start in the playoffs.

Boils down to what our best guesses are for the future. Many believe Lu has something to prove and will be a Vezina candidate again. I say he should have wanted to prove himself this year after letting himself and the team down in the finals but had a poor season.

Some think Cory will not be able to handle the #1 spot and Canucks be lucky to make the playoffs. With the other teams in our division getting stronger the chances of us winning the Presidents Trophy is very slim with either Lu or Cory. I think Cory will play at elite level and be a Vezina candidate in the very near future, and will give the Cancuks much more CONSISTENT playoff goaltending than Lu has given us for the last 5 years.

Cory will give us solid playoff goaltending like last year for the next 10 years(not under 2 good but just very solid play), I do not think Lu will gave us solid playoff goaltending since 06-07 and the wheels have fell off his bus and he will only get worse.

Archived