The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Management thinks Schneider is the go to guy....so...thats good enough for me....I trust in their opinion more than I trust your misguided faith !! and to think Luongo is stable is wishful thinking on your part ...lately..he has shown to be anything but...again...management disagrees with you !!

I agree with managements position on goaltending...so..if you disagree with my point of view...you therefore, must disagree with Canuck managements point of view...not rocket science...but might be as tuff to figure for you.

You keep beating the same old drum !! To say that Schneider is NOT fully trained to replace Luongo is nothing short of rediculous. Schneider has paid his dues and is far more technically sound than your buddy Lou. Schneids outplayed Lou last season by a wide margin. What does it take for you to see reality? You don;t acknowledge stats, have no goaltending background and disregard the voices of reason....so...what do YOU base this opinion on?

Schneider is ready to be given a shot at being a number 1 but will just have to find out how he handles the grind of it and playing through the fatigue ,As for you pumping his tires with this whole malarky of his wide margin of out playing Luongo makes you loose any possible credibility you had in your post .

You dont need to fabricate things to try and show who you prefer in net

Schneider outperforming Lou is verified in the stats published by the NHL....they are not my opinion...they are just the facts posted for public scrutiny....you can disagree...you can justify your opinion however you like. I believe that management have opted to go with Schneider....take that however you like...I'm guessing...at the end of the day...Lou will get traded and the team will go with Schneider and then all this will be old news. Time will tell. I also believe schneider is better..you are welcome to your own opinion without malice.

I'm wondering if management is considering keeping Luongo around for maybe a month into the regular season just to see how Schneider performs so Luongo will still be there if Schneider proves to be unstable. Then after evaluating Schneider's performance, MG willfully the trigger to trade a goalie.

Stats don't tell the whole story, a big reason why Schneiders stats are better than Luongos is because the team plays better in front of Schneids, seems like the team doesn't try as hard defensively with Luingo in the crease. I don't think the team has ever said Schneids is better. Schneids is younger and on a better contract. Their abilities IMO are very similar. Luongo needs to be the odd man out due to contract and youth.

I don't think anyone is arguing stats. We're arguing on other matters such as:

Body of statistics presented, which in Schneider's case is too little and in Luongo's case is extensive,

Stability of the franchise by goaltending, which in Schneider's case is unproven and in Luongo's case is proven with six years of elite performance,

Playoff performance, which in Schneider's case has played in three full games and lost two and appeared in five others and in Luongo's case, has played in 61 playoff games and brought this playoff-non-scoring team to within one win of the Cup.

And most of all, your great ability to make illusions appear as fact via repetition at key moments, but without proof and without answering to the challenge to present such proof at the said moment.

Two instances of such behavior have occurred already:

A: that Luongo has asked for a trade when in fact he hasn't officially done so; everyone including the media is speculating and assuming but no actual demand has been done,

B: That management has claimed to have made the choice to go with Schneider over Luongo when in fact, no such statement exists in either paper or visual form,

When challenged, you failed to present evidence. When challenged to present evidence, you beat the same DRUM you just had beaten.

Good luck tiny dancer.

Stats don't tell the whole story, a big reason why Schneiders stats are better than Luongos is because the team plays better in front of Schneids, seems like the team doesn't try as hard defensively with Luingo in the crease. I don't think the team has ever said Schneids is better. Schneids is younger and on a better contract. Their abilities IMO are very similar. Luongo needs to be the odd man out due to contract and youth.

One of my biggest dissapointment's in the Canuck org over the years has been their hesitation to move aging players. Ohlund, Naslund, Jovo and now Salo all walked without any asset coming back. In the next few years the Twins, Bieksa and Burrows will all raise this question once again.

This is not true. Stats indicate that Schneider has one of the highest save percentages on shots taken from 15 feet in (IIRC, he's 2nd in the league among those with at least 25 games played). Luongo isn't in the top 10, but I'm not sure where he ranks, since the list only goes up to 10. Schneider also has a better save percentage on shots 16-45 feet out, where he's ranked 4th, whereas Luongo is ranked 8th.

The biggest difference between Luongo and Schneider is their penalty kill save percentage though. Watching them both play, you honestly cannot come up with the assessment that Luongo and Schneider are equal in skill. Schneider simply comes up with huge saves more often than Luongo does.

Management thinks Schneider is the go to guy....so...thats good enough for me....I trust in their opinion more than I trust your misguided faith !! and to think Luongo is stable is wishful thinking on your part ...lately..he has shown to be anything but...again...management disagrees with you !!

k dipcrap, just saying "this is not true" and then comparing stats does not in anyway rebut the statement "a big reason why Schneiders stats are better than Luongos is because the team plays better in front of Schneids, seems like the team doesn't try as hard defensively with Luongo in the crease."

I guess you just don't know hockey, anyone with half a brain knows that the team plays a huge role in the stats of a goaltender.

examples?

Jonathan quick's goals against of 1.95 and 10 SO last season. not saying hes not a great goaltender but a huge part of it is the fact that LA is so tight defensively and give up few quality chances.

Jaroslav Halak's goals against of 1.97 and 6 shutouts. Halak is good but goes to show you how stats dont always show which goalie is better.

John Tavares. one of the best talents hockey has seen yet score 31 goals and 50 assists last season vastly due to the fact he plays with NYI and doesnt get support like that of steven stamkos in TB

Archived