The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Co-Hosting Team 1040 from 11-1

arsenalian

We could not have got Weber as an RFA. Here's why:

Nashville will likely (but not definetly) match Philly's offer sheet. BUT, had the offer sheet come from Vancouver they would absolutely have matched. They couldn't have let him walk to a Western Conference contender in exchange for a few very late1st round picks (from the back to back Presidents' Trophy winning team). No way.

It has nothing to do with what team was making the offer, it simply has to do with whether or not they can afford it.

Philly called their bluff that they couldn't afford this deal, and for all we know, they might be right.

If Nashville doesn't match on Wednesday, I think everyone will have a different tone.

Keep in mind that Gillis is also handcuffed by other issues. He wants to see where his team stands in the Doan sweepstakes and get an idea of how much of the cap he will need to commit to him if he did indeed sign with the Canucks. There's also the Luongo situation. At this point, it sounds like Gillis has no clue if Luongo will be on the team once the season starts, hence whether that $5.333M cap hit will be on the books or not.

There are a lot of money questions right now and things need to fall into place one at a time.

To be fair, I think it's pretty clear that Weber wants out of Nashville. The offer sheet was tailored specifically for Nashville's finances in the sense that it is so front-heavy (likely the most front-heavy NHL contract ever) that Nashville's ownership simply may not be able to swing the money (especially with the risk of a work-stoppage).

He didn't wait for his UFA chance because the owners are going to get term-limits on contracts. He managed to squeeze in the last one of those contracts before they're banned.

I gotta admit, I agree with you. Offering him a 1 year deal sounds like it's just a way to test the waters.. like "Hey, we'll offer you this, but if Nashville matches then we'll see you next year... wink once if you want to be a Canuck next year". It's more trying to feel out Weber's position than making a serious offer. However, there was no way we were going to get him by offering him a reasonable contract and hoping Nashville wouldn't match, because of course they would. Philly MIGHT get him just because they went insane and offered him the Moon, hoping that Nashville wouldn't have a spare Moon to spend (or want to spend their Moon).

I'm glad Gillis didn't do what Philly did, and I don't see how he could have possibly gotten Weber otherwise, so maybe playing it safe and putting the offer out there to pick him up next year *if he wants to* was not a terrible idea.

I disagree. The one year sheet is fishing to get Weber to UFA status. If weber bites and signs it, Nashville can only match to UFA status.

It think it was Weber thinking the next CBA will forbid long contracts so he had to cash in when he could.

Well yes. Exactly. But think about it. Gillis was saying "If you want to come to the Canucks, we can't afford to pry you away from Nashville with an offersheet, because they will likely match it. However, if you sign an one year offersheet and they match, we can pick you up next year as a UFA."

Since Weber didn't sign it we can guess he didn't really want to come to the Canucks, or at least, didn't want to come here over a huge paycheque (which we can't really afford to give him... and why would we? We have a good D-core)

I don't think Weber even wants to go back there for one season. That's why he took the deal that has the best chance to get him out of there.

I understand Gillis's logic, but as a former player agent he should have known that most players aren't going to sign 1 year deals. There's too much risk that he may get a serious injury, have a horrible season, or that the CBA will change and not allow for big contracts.

I think he may have thought the fact that he's from here might have made Vancouver more enticing than it was. At the end of the day he went where the money was, like most players would.

Archived