The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Mike Gillis Demanding Nick Bjugstad From the Florida Panthers?

Sharpshooter

True, except for the massive $hitstorm of controversy, anxiety, and dissension that it'd create around this city and within that dressing room.

You really don't see anything wrong with paying a guy $6.7M - more than anyone else on the team - and who has went public with his desire to be somewhere else - to sit on the bench? You really see NOTHING NEGATIVE AT ALL, in that situation?!

The formula in other recent and non recent deals for stars (Pronger to Anaheim, Pronger to Philly, Carter to Columbus, Richards to L.A., Forsburg to Nashville) has been a good serviceable roster player, a stout prospect and for the premium players also a high draft pick.

Lou's contract might seem a drag, but Prongers $ tag did not? Even discounting that, we could and should expect a prospect and roster player of merit. Unless that prospect is an absolute premium blue chipper such as Huberdeau (think Iginla for Niewendyk), just the prospect is not enough.

Even Columbus completely under the gun, who did not get a premium prospect, got two 220 lb established physically capable forwards, a medium grade prospect in Tim Erixson and a first round pick. Gillis should not be under such pressure. I never thought Jovo was quite enough for Bure, but holding out at least got us Jovo who was a former #1 overall pick and recent cup finalist early in his career.

Patience should be the plan if required, the history of the market has shown that value can be achieved!

Do we want a young asset like Bjugstad even if he doesn't get into the lineup this year but next, at the earliest?

Could we be alright, with perhaps adding Doan to the lineup only, and not looking for a play making top 6 foward, in hopes and expectation that once Kesler gets back and is 'up to speed' again, we should be stronger than last year to make another long playoff run?

I like Bjugstad. No question that in my mind, this kid has top 6 potential written all over him...and with the likes of Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, Tanev, Connauton, we have a decent young core to build around and add in, in the near future(1-2 seasons after this one finishes)

Is Gillis right to hold out for a young bluechip asset like Bjugstad then? Or should he get the best veteran from FLA, or TOR, or CHI, if he can from any of those teams, and only think about the season coming up as our last kick at the can?

Personally, I don't mind if his patience translates into a Bjugstad or similarly decent prospect (Howden?)

That's what he says.........he can leave at anytime to turn pro if he so chooses. Perhaps leaving The Gophers for Fla isn't as enticing as leaving school for Vancouver............if a trade involving Bjugstad happens, you can bet MG will be putting the pressure on to have him in the lineup this season.

Yeah, Luongo and Schneider are friends, so I'm sure that Luongo would have no issue effectively killing his own career and rotting away on the bench until Mike Gillis is able to find "an acceptable return", which ain't gonna come. Seems reasonable, right? I mean, who wouldn't do something like that for their friends!

BTW - what exactly do you think's going to happen to Luongo's value if he actually starts the year on the Canucks and is our BACKUP? Do you really think that Roberto Luongo's value is going to somehow appreciate playing once every 10 games? He'll be the butt-end of jokes from fans around the league, and there'd be no GM out there who would want to touch him. And then, we're in Sheldon Souray territory. If Luongo isn't traded soon - within the month - it's going to get UGLY, that I can assure you. There's no upside to holding on to him, whatsoever. His value can and will only go DOWN.

This is a horrible excuse, look at Detroit and New Jersey, prime examples of a GM plannning forward as he plans for the present. That is what Gillis is trying to build in Van, a team that stays in the leagues top 8 for 20 seasons!

I don't want to be that douche bag with a painted face in some pub screaming and waving a palm palm while at the same time making some type of scary demonic face while the hand without palm palm makes the devil horns, while aggressively sticking out the tongue when we win the draft lottery!!!

I'm hoping that maybe there's a longshot of a chance that Gaunce could possibly ready by then too.

Maybe this lineup could work as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Jensen - Bjugstad - Kasssian

Gaunce - Lapierre - Hansen

Just a hypothetical of course. ;)

Archived