The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hear Me Out

Drew1

DownUndaCanuck - Nobody was comparing Luongo to Cory, I did not once post Luongo's stats, I am trying to get people excited and positive and show how amazing Cory is , would you rather have someone write something saying hes going to fail , no and you saying Luongo having gold medal and exc is true but thats like saying oh this rookie is no good he has no gold medal or stanley cup , Luongo is turning 34 Cory is only 26 , let him how can you put down a young player because he does not have the track record of a vetern who has almost done it all .

It's no secret why every GM in the league has called about Cory and would you rather have Luongo who apperently said he will retire in 4 years or so and have Cory go to another team and wonder what could have been , like c'mon man , ur saying what if cory doesnt live up to the expectations , well what if he wins the vezina and Stanley Cup

Steve Mason is another example but I dont think either or good one's both were rushed into the starters job and were really unproven, they just had a hot streak both on teams that weren't all that great, Boston wasn't all that good in the late 90's early 00's and they just started to turn it around in 07.

Schneider has been groomed and groomed for this and he has been put through many tests that those two probably wouldn't have passed, I don't have any doubts that Schneids won't be able to live up to his potential but people around here (mainly huge Luongo fans) are just saying that because there are unhappy that Luongo is on his way out, so they look for some reason why we should do what is best for everyone.

For the Record I am a huge Luongo fan, more Luongo fan than Schneider fan but I do give full credit to where it is due, can't wait to see Schneids in net next year and I hope Lu does great in his new home, I'll still remain a big fan.

There are reasons why Cory has huge expectations because he has earned them , he beat Boston in Boston he beat Chicago , I honestly don't know any other team that would put their backup , I never thought of Cory as a backup though , in the biggest and best game of the year against boston , I mean people just brush it aside but what team would put their backup goalie in a rematch of the stanley cup finals ?

There are reasons why Cory has huge expectations because he has earned them , he beat Boston in Boston he beat Chicago , I honestly don't know any other team that would put their backup , I never thought of Cory as a backup though , in the biggest and best game of the year against boston , I mean people just brush it aside but what team would put their backup goalie in a rematch of the stanley cup finals ?

The Canucks Boston series was the most watched program ever on CBC ever! and after the game was over people were like wow I wish these teams played like 4 times a year and they were like rarely does a game live up to the hype , man no even 5 mins in and the boxes were full , that game was HUGE! even after the game bieksa and other guys were jacked and fired up , there was so much on the line thats why it was so intense , both teams were the best in the league at the time of that game and there was a good chance at the time we would meet in the SCF , really good chance but you know things change exc but yeah , it was a huge game , anyone who watched got fired up anybody

I agree. The Raycroft example was reaching a bit, haha. What I really meant was to show how a promising young goaltender can fall by the way side.

That being said, I agree with you that Schneider has been developed the right way, so I don't think he has the same risk of fizzling out like Mason (great example) and Raycroft. Cory has stepped up in big games and shown he can play.

The thing is, playing 20-30 games in a season is really different than playing 50-65+ games in a season. I am optimistic and really hope Cory can live up to the task at hand.

Surely, DownUnda, comparing Schneider's achievements so far to Luongo's would be a bit of a reach. Luongo has been an elite goalie for a long time, and is just now beginning to slow down. I most definitely agree that with Luongo we are sure to get 30+ wins out of 50-55 starts. That's part of why I don't understand why people think Luongo's trade value is low. Sure, we have to trade the guy now given the circumstances but the fact that he can basically take any bubble team into the post-season and win 30+ games should mean his value is still there. Mike Gillis knows this too, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're running a Luongo-Schneider tandem come September or whenever the darn season starts.

I don't think we need to worry too much about Cory though. I think he will be great.

DownUndaCanuck - Nobody was comparing Luongo to Cory, I did not once post Luongo's stats, I am trying to get people excited and positive and show how amazing Cory is , would you rather have someone write something saying hes going to fail , no and you saying Luongo having gold medal and exc is true but thats like saying oh this rookie is no good he has no gold medal or stanley cup , Luongo is turning 34 Cory is only 26 , let him how can you put down a young player because he does not have the track record of a vetern who has almost done it all .

Moonshinefe- Hey man the more and more support we can give Cory the more this will be his home you know. Cory is an amazing guy , he could have easily easily waited like 1 more day and tested free agency to atleast tell the canucks , oh I got a 5 mill or 6 mill offer but he seen how all the players on the Canucks have taken pay discounts , and he is thinking Team first, we should feel special we have so many guys taken paycuts ,

Luongo has been a superb goalie for a long time.

There have just been a couple of times when we needed him to clutch up and rescue us, and he did not. And they coincided with him loosing his composure.

So I'm not confident he will win a cup for us and I'm not unhappy to give Schneider a crack!

Yeah I agree with what you said but I will be shocked if we look back in hindsight and see that Schneider is the next Mason/Raycroft. I wouldn't believe it, but I doubt it will happen.

I dont see a scenerio where Schneids doesn't pan out, I can't wait to see him once the season begins, I'm super excited for this season.

Just a warning to you fans who think Schneider will somehow play better than one of the league's top-10 All Time and win us a cup within the next 2 seasons:

In every game Schneider has played so far, he has been groomed and sheltered. Yes, he played 30 last season but they were spot starts after days of rest, and only played more than 7 games in a row once after which fatigue got the better of him and he was blown out of the water against (at the time) the worst offence in the NHL in Nashville, then Columbus.

No one knows how Schneider will deal with playing long stretches of games, which is why he's a big gamble. Now I'm not saying he'll falter, but I'm just saying that the probability of him having a remarkable season and playing consistently well throughout 50-60 games and THEN sparkling in the playoffs as well is VERY UNLIKELY. No goalie except for Brodeur and Roy have won a Cup after being in the same situation as Schneider (becoming a starter after minimal experience) so the chances of the Canucks winning a Cup is essentially the same chance as Schneider becoming a top-3 NHL goaltender All-time.

I prefer sticking with Luongo, where the probability of him churning out another 30-win, successful season is VERY HIGH and then the probability of him delivering once again in big playoff games is just as high.

At the end of the day its the management who need to take a step back and make decisions based on what gives the Canucks the best chance, or probability, to win the Cup because no one can see the future, and I employ fans to do the same. Luongo is far from finished and still gives us that safety net, almost guaranteed success. Schneider on the otherhand has much less chance of doing so because so much more could go wrong with Schneider.

Dude give me a break , I really thought this out, and I am not jumping down anyones throat or anything , I am just saying whats on my mind, hey man were all in this together , we all love this team and want a Stanley Cup , I think we need to get along better, even though we are on the internet , but thanks man haha ;)

Just a warning to you fans who think Schneider will somehow play better than one of the league's top-10 All Time and win us a cup within the next 2 seasons:

In every game Schneider has played so far, he has been groomed and sheltered. Yes, he played 30 last season but they were spot starts after days of rest, and only played more than 7 games in a row once after which fatigue got the better of him and he was blown out of the water against (at the time) the worst offence in the NHL in Nashville, then Columbus.

No one knows how Schneider will deal with playing long stretches of games, which is why he's a big gamble. Now I'm not saying he'll falter, but I'm just saying that the probability of him having a remarkable season and playing consistently well throughout 50-60 games and THEN sparkling in the playoffs as well is VERY UNLIKELY. No goalie except for Brodeur and Roy have won a Cup after being in the same situation as Schneider (becoming a starter after minimal experience) so the chances of the Canucks winning a Cup is essentially the same chance as Schneider becoming a top-3 NHL goaltender All-time.

I prefer sticking with Luongo, where the probability of him churning out another 30-win, successful season is VERY HIGH and then the probability of him delivering once again in big playoff games is just as high.

At the end of the day its the management who need to take a step back and make decisions based on what gives the Canucks the best chance, or probability, to win the Cup because no one can see the future, and I employ fans to do the same. Luongo is far from finished and still gives us that safety net, almost guaranteed success. Schneider on the otherhand has much less chance of doing so because so much more could go wrong with Schneider.

Archived