The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need help on buying a Guitar

_Kick_Save_

I have an extra one if you want it. Yamaha acoustic with pickup, sans eq. Just needs new strings. Thinking of putting it on Craigs. $100? Either that or i'll put some strings on it and keep it around. Meh.

I'd recommend super-light strings to start. Easier on the hands. But if you want to work in your hands quicker, get heavier strings. They also sound better. Just don't be shocked if you slice the fingertips up real good.

One way to work out your fingers is to repeat the Spock V sign ( \\//_ ) to inverted spock ( \||/_ ) over and over. With a bent wrist and a straight wrist. I read that's how Hammett warms up. That'll help with the pain, but the slicing up of the fingertips is unavoidable until you get calluses.

LMAO at anyone actually slicing there fingertips on strings ? Been playing for years and have never heard of this in my life. I know many instructors and musicians and asked , they were just as bewildered. Not to mention the lighter gauge you use the more it will hurt because the strings are way thinner thus pressing farther into your tips. Thicker gauge will require you to press a little harder fatiguing your hand but it wont hurt as much . Medium gauge are the best for beginners giving the best all around play. The only thing that will happen is calluses will build up on the tips after a few weeks of continual practice. Depending on how you progress and what styles you play different gauges will be needed. I highly recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel strings amazing sound ! Fender acoustics are nearly unmatched in quality for the price you will pay. Keep in mind if you buy an acoustic that can be plugged into an amp it will need a specific acoustic amp or you will get nasty feed back when playing, but you will always have the option to amplify so it is a win win really.

just a link for a simple acoustic/electric

http://www.fender.co...rtno=0961530006

http://www.deanmarkl.../248-blue-steel

Started playing acoustic in 1963 .. November, to my first Dylan album .. have known many "players" who quit early as they could not handle "steel" strings, tho most would not admit it .. some folks are very sensitive .. some folks are numb to pain .. some folks are too "dim" to know the difference ..

Well, LMAO, i sliced up my fingers while learning, with medium strings, and plenty of others have as well. Not enough to draw blood, but it hurt a bit. But i was practicing for hours at a time. I found the hand pain of maintaining certain chords at the beginning to be a bigger issue. That's where lighter strings might have helped.

Meh. You buy a guitar, you learn how to play, you get past these minor problems.

I have bought and sold multiple guitars on craigslist and I know that Yamaha has the most consistent quality amongst their guitars.

Takamine's do not have that kind of consistency. You would have to buy a high end Takamine in order to get that nice warm/bright tone.

Taylor guitars have a very sweet spot of a sound.. I really really really recommend you to pick up a Taylor.

Here is a link to some info about a new type of guitar being developed. It's main feature being an adjustable neck that addresses inherent issues related to tension and tuning. It springs from the idea that guitar manufactuering has not changed in 150 years. Patent pending technology reduces manufacture time from 100 hours to just 24. I am particularly enthusiastic about this project as I know Mike and better yet his grandmother was my grade one teacher long ago! (we met coincidetally a few years ago).

https://www.bdcyoungentrepreneuraward.ca/profile_2.php

The voting refered to has already happened so don't bother voting. He won 2nd place in a national young entreprenuers compitition and will use the 25k to lauch his factory. Contact Lees Music in Kamloops for more info on this unique product.

LMAO at anyone actually slicing there fingertips on strings ? Been playing for years and have never heard of this in my life. I know many instructors and musicians and asked , they were just as bewildered. Not to mention the lighter gauge you use the more it will hurt because the strings are way thinner thus pressing farther into your tips. Thicker gauge will require you to press a little harder fatiguing your hand but it wont hurt as much . Medium gauge are the best for beginners giving the best all around play. The only thing that will happen is calluses will build up on the tips after a few weeks of continual practice. Depending on how you progress and what styles you play different gauges will be needed. I highly recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel strings amazing sound ! Fender acoustics are nearly unmatched in quality for the price you will pay. Keep in mind if you buy an acoustic that can be plugged into an amp it will need a specific acoustic amp or you will get nasty feed back when playing, but you will always have the option to amplify so it is a win win really.

just a link for a simple acoustic/electric

http://www.fender.co...rtno=0961530006

http://www.deanmarkl.../248-blue-steel

I would not recommed this. The starter kit guitars are awful. Beginners can't tell the difference between a descent guitar and a high end one, but learning on a bad guitar is extremely difficult. The action is bad, things won't sound right, they feel bad, they go out of tune easily etc...

You don't need a top end guitar, but get a guitar that is well reviewed. Remember that any guitar you buy will have resale value. So you aren't throwing away the entire purchase price of the guitar, even if in a year or so you decide it's not for you.

This. Playing on a good guitar is a lot more fun, so try and get an instrument that's at least comfortable to play and sounds ok. I recommend buying a used one off craigslist or something, you can save a lot of money that way especially if you find a steal. Plus if you decide to quit, and you kept the guitar in good condition, you can sell it for the same price you bought it at, so you don't lose any money at all.

Archived