The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

UPDATE

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports

Alex Burrows agent Paul Corbeil tells CKWX there is still a gap in contract talks about an extension with the #Canucks.

Corbeil admits he would love to get a new deal done in the current C-B-A but knows next July1st will be good for his client as well.

Corbiel says the 2 sides keep talking and there will be more talks in the next few days.

Corbeil said good question when asked if Burrows new deal is better off in old C-B-A or new C-B-A.

Corbeil says his and Burrows #1 priority is to re-sign with the #Canucks but also knows July 1st could be a great day for his client.

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

Youch. Not looking so great.

“That’s what we’re looking at from our side,” Corbeil said. “A (deal) that’s about six years. Five or six years.”

“He wants to be in Vancouver, but at the same time appreciates how coveted players like him are on open market,” Corbeil said. “We know there would be a lot of interest if he was a free agent on July 1.”

If you’re looking for a comparable, it’s Patrick Sharp,” Corbeil said.

That’s some expensive company right there. Sharp signed a five-year extension in 2011 for $29.5 million, which suggests Burrows is seeking a contract in the $5-million-per-year range, or Ryan Kesler money.

His numbers suggest he should be worth $5M, but I think anyone in hockey knows that his stats are 33% inflated because of his linemates. His greatest value is probably exactly where he is, and it's not worth auditioning someone new to spend 3 years learning how to play with the Sedins.

I hope MG pays to keep him here for 4-5 years. $3.75-4M maybe?

Dooouugh!

Somebody said his agent mentioned Patrick Sharp? Sorry, would not sign Burrows for $5.9 as per Sharp, nor as much as Burrows does great things is he as dynamic as Sharp...

If we have Doan ???, He is rumoured to be signing (in the Meta thread) at $24 for 4 years or $6 mill); does it make sense to sign Burr at same? Doan is a bit better player (yes a bit, not overwhelming) but a massive upgrade in balancing physical match ups. Cannot see both being signed at $6mill! That's irresponsible to our long term health.

If we see Doan, Burrows (while remain a great player for a cup drive) will will not have the same bargaining power not being a Triplet next season. And we would keep him for a cup run, not trade him if we sign Doan! Anything else would be seriously irresponsible to Canuck cup hopes.

Personally, I'm betting we do not see Doan, but not knowing that Burr signs for $4.7...

All completely speculation of course!

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

Youch. Not looking so great.

I'm more of a business perspective. IMO, if they can't reach a deal with a valuable commodity who is a UFA next summer, you have to trade them (That's only assuming there is a Staal like market out there for them). In the salary cap era, it's to costly for teams to lose valuable players to UFA world and get nothing in return. Just look at Nashville.

$5.9M cap hit x 5 yrs for a 32 yr old player is not great asset management IMO - especially considering the WOWY analysis w/ Sedins. Love Burrows, he's done such great things here. But this team has an aging roster, they need youth and some lower cap hits (especially if the cap is going down without rollbacks).

Gonna be sad to see Burrows go if he's aiming to really cash in.. I don't think the Canucks management are going to want to pay up for him.

Then again, given how Kesler has been playing, I'd gladly get rid of him and give Burrows "Kesler money".

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

Burrows agent says he will talk with #Canucks management in the next couple of hours again in hopes of striking a new deal.

How great would it be if we signed Doan, then extended Burrows, and possibly trade Lu all on the same day. I'm staying optimistic :)

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

The clock is ticking - Burrows and #Canucks have till midnight tomorrow to strike deal. No talks allowed in a lockout.

Archived